Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:
It's finally here! I picked up a Diamante on the Bay from Panama Bob. It was waiting when I got home from work. It's kind of a coarse weave, not ultramegafinosupremo but who cares! It's my first Panama hat.

Nice Diamante, Rj, and I appreciate your stories :eusa_clap.

I use weather stripping for shimming hats. It's inexpensive at any hardware store. I prefer the felt type over the foam type.

univibe88

One Too Many
Roninjedi said:
Sorry to be so silly in my enthusiasm about this hat. :eek: I've just been waiting eagerly for the first of my hat purchases. Are there any special tips I should observe for the long-term care of, even an average quality Panama, or should I just relax?

No apologies needed. I am happy you are pleased with it. It looks great! I'd say just relax and enjoy it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:
It's finally here! I picked up a Diamante on the Bay from Panama Bob.
Profile:

On my 7 3/4 long-oval noggin:
3910936405_df4a159884_m.jpg

I think you've found the perfect straw for yourself!

GO RANGERS!!!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Roninjedi,

The panama fits you well and what is important it has the RIGHT dimensions for you. To get a similar size hat in fine weave would be very costly - it is better to have a coarse hat than a fine one which seems too little. Having a hat with a low crown or a too short brim can be unsightly - while this one looks fine.

I think your Diamante will give you lots of service and lots of compliments - see examples here - be sure to get further ones in the real world too!

Cheers:

Tom

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
WineGuy said:
Sorry Roninjedi, must have been a subliminal slip...I corrected it.

Bottom line thought is that it suits you and it's a great day-to-day hat.

No prob, WineGuy. The obvious slip just made me laugh! :D

thinkfloyd

New in Town
looking good roninjihad!

I'm expecting my first panama to arrive this week, and I'd just like to share something... I'm a round neck/shorts kinda guy, and I really don't think that kind of attire would suit a panama well, so I up and bought several cotton button down shirts to make sure I wouldn't look too "slackish" with my upcoming panama haha... some plaid workshirts, plain white shirts, and the like. I'm hoping I can pull it off while wearing shorts though... am I weird? :)

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
thinkfloyd said:
looking good roninjihad!

I'm a round neck/shorts kinda guy, and I really don't think that kind of attire would suit a panama well, so I up and bought several cotton button down shirts.. some plaid workshirts, plain white shirts, and the like. I'm hoping I can pull it off while wearing shorts though... am I weird? :)

I don't think that's weird. The t-shirt with button down overshirt is a look I've been rockin' for a couple of years now. I think a decent straw hat would go just fine with that look and shorts. You'll have to send us pics when your Panama arrives.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
My new favorite hat

ScottF said:
It's pure luck (finding a good panama), and then some. I saw rlk's when it was on ebay, but I ignored it (what was I thinking? :eusa_doh: ) The hat I just posted was hiding on a wall in an antique shop:

MCTop.jpg

Here's the after shot, just arrived from Optimo:

MC1Top.jpg

MC1Mex2b.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Amazing :eusa_clap

I have been very impressed with Optimo.

You should have heard the clerk at the antique mall and my girlfriend, laughing at how excited I was to buy the 'girl hat' - they had several masculinity jokes at my expense.

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:

You should have heard the clerk at the antique mall and my girlfriend, laughing at how excited I was to buy the 'girl hat' - they had several masculinity jokes at my expense.

That is sweet!!! I also bought a "girlie hat" woven. Couldn't bring myself to even take a picture of it until I stripped the trimmings and bow off. Now I think I know what I want to do with it!

B

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:

You should go back to the antique mall and show the clerk so he or she can eat their heart out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy