Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks for all the compliments! I will still be adding a hat cord (don't want to risk losing it!), which will normally be inside, under the sweatband. I am amazed at how light the hat is, and am really glad I went with the 2" brim since it is so thin I am afraid it would flop around too much if I had something larger.
The cost was $300 total (hat plus blocking), which was partially possible with catching PanamaBob in a "sale" mood, and partially due to the smaller brim.

I specifically asked for a 2" snap-brim with a Homburg-style centre-dent and no side-pinch. And I told him I was patient, since I didn't need it for this summer.
He actually could have sent me a hat sooner, but he e-mailed me and told me that the hat had come in at less than the promised 500+ weaves so he had to have a new one done. It is so great to work with honest people!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I second (or third etc ) Panama Bob...Wonderful guy!
One thing you may want to do though is check out Ybor City area, or check the web for Cuban clothing stores in that Tampa area, specifically places that handle guayaberra shirts...that way you could maybe try a few on etc...Otherwise...just get one from PB and have Art block it to perfection!:D :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
dnjan said:
I know I missed straw season, but I actually bought this hat for a trip next summer. My Stetson palm-fiber is fine for most Seattle weather, but too hot for a really warm climate. And I don't really like brims much beyond 2"
So I contacted PanamaBob and asked him what he could do for $300.
I wanted a 2" snap-brim with a Homburg-style centre-dent and no pinch.
The result:

It is incredibly light, and now I can't wait for next summer:
PB-hat-on-302.jpg

By the way - blocking by Art Fawcett

Nice hat, Don - I will look for that one on the streets of Seattle next June!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
-Interim report- ¡What a thread! Phantaftic hats... (some envy, with a smile). I'm stalking for a third Panama (promise, will post my hats, modestly). The Panama hat is ... very, very special (off to the ironing board).
Respectfully,
Pablo

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
The Twins

The top one just arrived from Optimo - both are rebuilt vintage Montecristis, around 700 or so wpi. Same block on both.

MonteX2Side.jpg

MonteX2Front.jpg

MonteX2Top.jpg

Reactions: DRB

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
"The Natural" - Duvall's Montecristi

The two movie hats I've wanted to get copies of, were both from "The Natural". One is Robert Redford's fedora; the other is Robert Duvall's Montecristi. Anyone know who made this hat for him?

DuvallMontx2.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
3 tight-weave Panamas recently sold on ebay

Post regarding these was washed out on the ebay thread - thought they might be of more interest here (I only won the last two)

1st one in this lot is so-so, but the second looks tight - Woolf Brothers

Woolf Brothers on ebay

!Bc8)HEQBGk~$(KGrHqUH-CMEqvI0VyHiBK2zHSbZy!~~_12.JPG

Here's a Knox Thirty Five

Knox Thirty Five Straw on ebay

Knox35Sideebay.jpg

Knox35SweatLabelebay.jpg

I really liked this one. Thought it might slip by cheap, given that the seller listed a nice Stetson at the same time, but the Stetson ended up going for less.

Old Panama on ebay

c858__4_.jpg=600

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran