Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
About a week ago, my wife said to me "if you buy another hat, I'll strangle you". So, this is either my suicide note, or -better- a sneak preview of the Christmas present my wife will give me ;)

Panama hat

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Very even weave; mostly "brisa", but with some "llano" circular sections, notably in the brim.

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Not really many vuelta's, maybe (depending how exactly you count them) about 6 or maximum 7. Yet I'm convinced it's a Monte Cristi hat.

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Maybe Brooks Brothers customers weren't aware that Panama hats all come from Ecuador?

IMG_1418.jpg

Detailed view of the ribbon knot. Never seen such one...

IMG_1425.jpg

The hat weighs in at exactly 62 grams, i.e. very light. It's a very thin hat, very evenly woven, elegant. I like it. I have some questions: what would you think the age is? (sixties? seventies?).

So, now I'll go and lock it away in a box until ...ho ho ho!

Cheers,
Pablo

Reactions: DRB
These are, in my opinion, the nicest looking panamas I've ever seen! Exactly what I've been looking for myself for a 'summer driver'.
ScottF said:
The top one just arrived from Optimo - both are rebuilt vintage Montecristis, around 700 or so wpi. Same block on both.

MonteX2Side.jpg

MonteX2Front.jpg

MonteX2Top.jpg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really liked this one. Thought it might slip by cheap, given that the seller listed a nice Stetson at the same time, but the Stetson ended up going for less.

Old Panama on ebay

c858__4_.jpg=600
[/QUOTE]
Scott looks like an interesting hat. Looking forward to hear more when the hat arrives. I saw the hat on ebay but was turned off by the small size

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
These are, in my opinion, the nicest looking panamas I've ever seen! Exactly what I've been looking for myself for a 'summer driver'.

Thanks, Tom. There are several good options out there for getting similar results - some of the pics on this thread of hats by PanamaBob, Art, Brent Black, are just amazing. I chose Optimo because they transformed a circa-1940 Playboy for me, beyond my expectations - same was true for their work on these two hats.

Well, I am going to keep that in mind, as I've looked quite a bit for exactly the had I wanted for the summer, and now summer's come and gone, but here you are with exactly the 'cut' I'm looking for. Never too early to start my research and shopping for next summer!

ScottF said:
Thanks, Tom. There are several good options out there for getting similar results - some of the pics on this thread of hats by PanamaBob, Art, Brent Black, are just amazing. I chose Optimo because they transformed a circa-1940 Playboy for me, beyond my expectations - same was true for their work on these two hats.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jonbuilder said:
I really liked this one. Thought it might slip by cheap, given that the seller listed a nice Stetson at the same time, but the Stetson ended up going for less.

Old Panama on ebay

Scott looks like an interesting hat. Looking forward to hear more when the hat arrives. I saw the hat on ebay but was turned off by the small size

It has an inverse crown taper at front and back, and a very wide brim, so I'm extremely hopeful.

Here are the pics I took before mailing it to Optimo, and a pic of another Optimo that I'm asking them to try to duplicate:

Monte3x2.jpg

optimomontecristi2.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
You switch the Optimo Crowns to Fedoras and the Fedora to Optimo[huh]

ScottF said:
It has an inverse crown taper at front and back, and a very wide brim, so I'm extremely hopeful.

Here are the pics I took before mailing it to Optimo, and a pic of another Optimo that I'm asking them to try to duplicate:

Monte3x2.jpg

optimomontecristi2.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
You switch the Optimo Crowns to Fedoras and the Fedora to Optimo[huh]

Hey - YOU are the one who suggested I do something different!!!

I suspect I'm going to be stuck with them creating another fedora - there is a lot of fading along the crease.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Panama Hatworks of Montecristi Alarcon Fino

Finally, I could borrow a digital camera - mine is dead...

The hat has an extra large brim w. pencil roll, a tall crown with a lovely classic block and is supremely even in the weave. The color of the straw is uniform; a pristine white-light cream. I did pay a few extra dollars to get those large dimensions- an investment worth every cent. The weavecount exceeds 1200 wpsi, the threshold advertised on the panamas.biz website - as usual. The hat has 15 vueltas, not including the rosetta in the centre. Let the pictures speak for themselves.

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettAlarconf-2.jpg

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettAlarconf-1.jpg

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettAlarconfino.jpg

Applause to Panamabob&team and Art Fawcett, the blocker.

billysmom

One Too Many
HungaryTom said:
Finally, I could borrow a digital camera - mine is dead...

The hat has an extra large brim w. pencil roll, a tall crown with a lovely classic block and is supremely even in the weave. The color of the straw is uniform; a pristine white-light cream. I did pay a few extra dollars to get those large dimensions- an investment worth every cent. The weavecount exceeds 1200 wpsi, the threshold advertised on the panamas.biz website - as usual. The hat has 15 vueltas, not including the rosetta in the centre. Let the pictures speak for themselves.

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettAlarconf-2.jpg

Applause to Panamabob&team and Art Fawcett, the blocker.

Simply stunning!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Dreams come true

Sue, Indycop, Daizawaguy,

Thanks for the credits. I dreamt of the raffle hat of summer 2008 organized by Panama Hatworks of Montecristi. See the comparison photo. As usual I gave Art full creative freedom and he recommended the pencil roll. I think the result is great and as usual something individual which is better than a mere copy. I use always some burgundy (shirt / with jeans, ascot or pocket square with cream suit) when wearing this hat - either casual or dress. This gem works well namely with both.

comparison.jpg

Cheers:

Tom

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
Sue, Indycop, Daizawaguy,

Thanks for the credits. I dreamt of the raffle hat of summer 2008 organized by Panama Hatworks of Montecristi. See the comparison photo. As usual I gave Art full creative freedom and he recommended the pencil roll. I think the result is great and as usual something individual which is better than a mere copy. I use always some burgundy (shirt / with jeans, ascot or pocket square with cream suit) when wearing this hat - either casual or dress. This gem works well namely with both.

comparison.jpg

Cheers:

Tom

I love the look of the burgundy ribbon against the very light straw. That might be the ribbon I go for on my next one.

What's up with the vertical side-crease on the top one?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
ScottF said:
I love the look of the burgundy ribbon against the very light straw. That might be the ribbon I go for on my next one.

What's up with the vertical side-crease on the top one?

Hi ScottF,

Seeing your avatar tells that you like a certain type of fedora with pretty similar dimensions - the makers and colors might be different, yet the proportions and dimensions seem more or less similar. Make sure to get those dimensions on your Montecristi -even if the taller crown and wide brim costs more- you are in good hands with Panamabob.
Than one of his US blockers will produce you the panama hat of your dreams.

Cheers:

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran