Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Daizawaguy,

I ordered this Espinal fino hat a while ago.
When it arrived at Art, he said that the hat is stunning.

Initially I intended to get it with some ton-sur-ton ribbon but than I saw your powder blue hat with that magnificent purple ribbon and I called Art extra to have the hat done with that color -sorry for the steal. I love purple color. Art has simply ribbon colors that are -how should I put it- neither vulgar nor too intense. Too much violet is rather for ladies but this can be pulled off on men's hat.

I penchant a lot about the raffle hat of 2008 which I think has a magnificent block so Art did it in that one, I don't know the name of it.

The weave-count is solid 1400+. The hat has 16 vueltas plus the rosetta but Harp Player Gene's vintage Casa Arcentales Montecristi with 11 vueltas and 2400+ wpsi shows that those concentric rings are not tell-tale about how fine a hat really is. This is consistent in weave and wonderful in color. You can see how the ones at the bottom begin to collect patina after a few years.

Since you mentioned my collection and this thread gave me so much fun and visual enjoyment I post a photo:

IMG_3794.jpg

The bottom hat is a 144 wpsi Cuenca. The Píle was so soft that the hats collapsed - I had to put a box behind them so they stood upright. All of them are regularly having their steam bath session, the bottom Monte sometimes even a DIY steam ironing of the brim through a white cotton cloth and they are never rolled. Also not too frequently worn except the Cuenca. What you got here is an insane collector...

This seems to be also the right occasion to say thank you to Panamabob and his team, Art Fawcett and all the loungers who contribute here and to the bartenders who keep the tone in a way that by now this tread became a true Panama hat encyclopædia including posts from ALL around the world.

Cheers:

Tom

Reactions: DRB

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
IMG_3794.jpg

All of them are regularly having their steambath session...
Tom

Thanks Tom, and thanks too to all the great contributors here...suppliers and blockers too

And i can`t help but saying I bet you are in the bath as well with all those beauties! lol lol lol ;)

jharrell

New in Town
A Panama in Mexico

Thought I'd post a photo of my recent visit to Chichen Itza.
My wife and I spent last week in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. During our time there three different people tried to buy my hat. One was a man selling Panamas.
IMG_1057.jpg

TomS

One Too Many
jharrell said:
My wife and I spent last week in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. During our time there three different people tried to buy my hat. One was a man selling Panamas.
IMG_1057.jpg

Great hat! Where did you get it? I'm looking for a nice straw presently.

How did you like Playa? I've spent way too much time there!! Did you visit
5th Ave? I like the resturant that overlooks the street from the second floor with the palapas/fans over the tables!

Best,
Tom

jharrell

New in Town
TomS said:
Great hat! Where did you get it? I'm looking for a nice straw presently.

How did you like Playa? I've spent way too much time there!! Did you visit
5th Ave? I like the resturant that overlooks the street from the second floor with the palapas/fans over the tables!

Best,
Tom

I bought the hat from NogginTops.com.
The hat is by Christy's of London and is called the Havana on the NogginTops web site. I don't know if that's what Christy's calls it or not. It's hand made and stamped as such. They call it a grade 8. Not to sure exactly what that means but it's a higher quality than the basic weaves.
Overall it's a quality hat and one I'm very happy with.

My wife and I have traveled to Playa del Carmen each Feb. for the past six years. We always enjoy the time there. We stay at the RIU Palace Mexico. It's a great place to escape the cold and snow. We're quite familiar with 5th Ave. and ALL that it offers.

John

thinkfloyd

New in Town
Hi, I'm looking to expand my Panama collection. Who else do you guys know sell Montechristis at a nice price? I tried Robert, but the shipment never came, and though he refunded my money, he hasn't been replying to my emails anymore when I tried to order from him again. Probably busy.... any suggestions? Thanks!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
jharrell said:
My wife and I spent last week in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. During our time there three different people tried to buy my hat. One was a man selling Panamas

jharrell

Nice shot of the temple

I've never been there, but I've gone to the ruins in Copan, Honduras a couple of times and they are great!

You can find some top notch straws there, too, and at a great price ... the only problem is, most of them aren't finished ... no sweats or ribbons ... still, if you can find the right basic shape, the quality if good enough and they are cheap enough, it's worth spending some money on them

If I ever get to go back, I plan to stock up

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Premier Panama Hats strikes again....

A while ago I saw a panama on the bay up for bid from our Tom-n-Perris. I liked the hat and e-mailed Tom to ask him if he could redo the hat to fit me and replace the pug on it with a different ribbon. Tom responded that he could do that, but he had another hat he thought I might like better. The other hat turned out to be a vintage Stetson panama cuenca brisa weave that he was about to start refurbishing. I wish I had before pictures, but I never thought to ask Tom for them. Maybe he has before pics he can post. This is what he sent me that arrived today in the mail.

web.jpg

web-2.jpg

web-5.jpg

web-6.jpg

IMG_0304_2.jpg

IMG_0307_2.jpg

This hat really couldn't be any better. It fits perfectly and looks fantastic with its new striped ribbon. the weave is very fine but still loose enough to let a nice breeze flow through. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather so I can get this one and Tom's first one out of the house for a change. I even like the feather, and this is the only feather I ever met that I liked. Thanks, Tom, for another great panama!

Reactions: DRB

BobC

Bluegrass said:
BobC, That's just beautiful. A really sharp hat. Love the ribbon. Ain't it great when you open the box and the hat is even better than you expected?

Thank you.

Yes it is! There ain't many things I like better than opening a box I know has a new hat in it. And there ain't many things I dislike more than waiting when I know there's a new one on the way.

BobC

indycop said:
That looks perfect Bob!! wears the Hawaiian shirt to go with it?;) :D

There's a black one in my closet. I must have had the two in mind for each other. It's starting to warm up here a bit. Hopefully that trend will continue.

I really like this Cuenca brisa weave. It'll be a cool hat when the weather heats up.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
daizawaguy said:

I don't know much about panamas and straw hats, so here's a question: how does this kind of venting work? Is that something you ask Bob for when picking the body, or does Art do this while blocking the hat?

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
It's called a semi-calado. You've got to order the body that way, as the vents are woven in, not punched later. check out this thread.

Thanks Lefty. Are there different terms for types of semi-calado? I've noticed on some vented panamas (a couple of daizawaguy's for example) that there appear to be different patterns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana