Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Thank you Ordinary Guy and Neophyte for helping instead of being jerks like in my other post. I appreciate that greatly.

I've e-mailed Panama Bob. I doubt he will say "sure, I'll sell a hat I have discounted to $115 for $55." I would not if I were him. But then, he might have something laying around.

I expect that I will end up with something like that Steston Retro Grade 3 or the David Morgan.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I'm quite sure PanamaBob will have something for you. He will at least have a nice Cuenca in your price range. If you want a Montecristi you may have to spend a bit more, but it will be oh so worth it. I don't think I would go anywhere but PanamaBob or The Panama Hat Company of St. Augustine because they have a good selection and good service.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
57plymouth said:
Thank you Ordinary Guy and Neophyte for helping instead of being jerks like in my other post. I appreciate that greatly.

I've e-mailed Panama Bob. I doubt he will say "sure, I'll sell a hat I have discounted to $115 for $55." I would not if I were him. But then, he might have something laying around.

I expect that I will end up with something like that Steston Retro Grade 3 or the David Morgan.

Well, good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Neophyte

57plymouth said:
I should have said like the jerks in the other post. My tone was not clear. You and Ordinary have been helpful and I appreciate that.

I have a witty, sarcastic way of putting things that just does not come across with the internet, ya know, so I abandon that and I just be polite and helpful.
I do recommend that you refrain from the name-calling. Even if you believe it is warranted, that will not help you in the future if you have another question.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
You're right. I need to calm down. It just seems that a simple answer would have made everyone much happier in the end.

But, hopefully I will have ordered a hat before I leave for my Masonic Lodge meeting this evening!!! In the end, I got the help really needed to avoid making a mistake that would have been costly. I love the hats and suits I see here, but I've cut my budget very fine so I can stay home with my daughter instead of working, so I have to make every penny scream for mercy when I do spend money.

Which of course leads to the "Finances in the Golden Era and Today" thread which I need to catch up on...

Neophyte

57plymouth said:
You're right. I need to calm down. It just seems that a simple answer would have made everyone much happier in the end.

But, hopefully I will have ordered a hat before I leave for my Masonic Lodge meeting this evening!!! In the end, I got the help really needed to avoid making a mistake that would have been costly. I love the hats and suits I see here, but I've cut my budget very fine so I can stay home with my daughter instead of working, so I have to make every penny scream for mercy when I do spend money.

Which of course leads to the "Finances in the Golden Era and Today" thread which I need to catch up on...

Well, good luck to you sir, and I hope you find the rest of your stay at the Lounge to be more pleasant.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
57plymouth said:
Where should I look for a decent looking teardrop shaped panama in the $55 range?

I don't have a ton to spend, and I've been warned against the ultrafinopanamahats seller on e-bay. I don't need a Cadillac, just a nice Chevy.

Panama Bob set me up with a great, great Cuenca for $35 + shipping (and this wasn’t a special deal, I just PM’d him and told him what I wanted). A hat that would be $60 anywhere else. So I’d say take your $55 to him, and see what he can get you for that money.

3d025386.jpg

You won’t be disappointed, I get nothing but compliments on mine.

-Dave

Reactions: DRB

ccajackson

Familiar Face
57plymouth said:

I definitely echo Dave's thoughts.

I think you will have a very good experience with Panama Bob. I wanted to get an inexpensive Panama, in preparation for a higher-end Montecristi (its good to have a daily-wearer). Robert was very responsive to emails and a great help as I was deciding on hats. He also provided pictures as I was deciding between different styles of crease (I ended up with the Rio...pretty much a teardrop).

The hat was very reasonable ($35, including shipping), and looks like a much more expensive hat (at least to my eye). If he has your size and style in stock, then it will only be 2-3 days in transit.

I was very happy in all my dealings with Robert. I'll be posting some pictures of the hat soon.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send a PM.

Good luck!

C-C

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Most craft and fabric stores should carry the glue.

Yup, and so many to choose from it is overwhelming. I chose Fabri-Tac because it fit my criteria and was priced right.

Here was my criteria:

1. dries clear
2. remains flexible when dry
3. non acid

This type of glue is really sticky and gooey and so work quickly and precisely.

Note that this type of repair will not be pretty with a crack that actually has a gap to fill, i.e. not well approximated.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
My First Panama (Thanks PB!)

As promised, some photos of my new Cuenca (Brisa):

th_ThreeQuarterTop.jpg

th_FrontView.jpg

th_ThreeQuarterView.jpg

th_BowCloseup.jpg

th_HawaiiandPanama.jpg

Unfortunately, this "daily wearer" has me hooked... next up is the Montecristi!

Cheers!

C-C

Hopefully I've uploaded properly! Any advice on how to get the photos to show in the post?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
I would again advocate the Acid-free Archival Hinging Tape as a nearly invisible backer that reenforces(an off-white fiber weave like the hat) yet is flexible and removable with its water activated self-adhesive. No mess no goo no damage, if you screw up, wet and remove and redo.
one source(art material or framing stores will have it)http://www.dickblick.com/products/lineco-acid-free-gummed-linen-tape/

That will work, however, it would not meet my 4th criteria which I forgot to include:

4. waterproof

rlk

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
That will work, however, it would not meet my 4th criteria which I forgot to include:

4. waterproof
Holds fine once dry unless you really soak it and that would also mess up the blocking of your hat. If you are using your vintage panama as a rain hat in a downpour so that it soaks through entirely it might become an issue?[huh] If you are that dumb its still an easy fix to replace it. Much better hold and reenforcement than glue and no risk of damage(well if you try hard enough, maybe).

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
ccajackson said:
As promised, some photos of my new Cuenca (Brisa):

ccjaxxon

ccjaxxon

ccjaxxon

ccjaxxon

ccjaxxon

Unfortunately, this "daily wearer" has me hooked... next up is the Montecristi!

Cheers!

C-C

Hopefully I've uploaded properly! Any advise on how to get the photos to show in the post?

That's just about the same hat I just ordered from Panama Bob.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
ccajackson said:
Hopefully I've uploaded properly! Any advise on how to get the photos to show in the post?

Click on the photo, copy properties from after the htpp\\onwards, click on the icon `insert image`, paste...

ThreeQuarterView.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Messed up blocking

rlk said:
Holds fine once dry unless you really soak it and that would also mess up the blocking of your hat. ... ...

Just a little Wonky Tonk for the Honky Tonk. ;)

hpim2636.jpg

hpim2638s.jpg

I'm just not convinced that a little or a lot of water is going to ruin your old or new Panama hat.

Dryness = cracks

and cracks kills! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot