Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

ccajackson

Familiar Face
57plymouth said:
Mission accomplished!! Thank you Panama Bob!

SANY1930.jpg

Very nice! I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine. Will be sporting it at the Cape this week, and enjoying not having to wear a baseball cap. ;)

Cheers!

C-C

thebroker

One of the Regulars
Twins!

I think ccajackson and I have twins now. My every day hat this summer has been a Stetson Retro. A good friend of mine tries to take it away from me every time I see him, so I decided I'd order one for him. However, he needs an XL, and they seem to be on backorder everywhere, so following the advice found here, I emailed Panama Bob last week. Today, this beautiful guy arrived:

IMG_5249-1.jpg

IMG_6807-2.jpg

Pardon the poor photo quality. The hat is incredibly high quality for the price...cheaper than the Stetson, and in my opinion, a significantly better hat. The bad news is, it isn't mine, but the good news is, I'm getting the pleasure of giving it to a friend who really wants one. The other good news...I just emailed Panama Bob to inquire about one in my size!

Reactions: DRB

ccajackson

Familiar Face
thebroker said:
I think ccajackson and I have twins now. My every day hat this summer has been a Stetson Retro. A good friend of mine tries to take it away from me every time I see him, so I decided I'd order one for him. However, he needs an XL, and they seem to be on backorder everywhere, so following the advice found here, I emailed Panama Bob last week. Today, this beautiful guy arrived:

IMG_5249-1.jpg

IMG_6807-2.jpg

Pardon the poor photo quality. The hat is incredibly high quality for the price...cheaper than the Stetson, and in my opinion, a significantly better hat. The bad news is, it isn't mine, but the good news is, I'm getting the pleasure of giving it to a friend who really wants one. The other good news...I just emailed Panama Bob to inquire about one in my size!

They are great hats! You are truly a good friend to be getting him one as a gift! When mine arrived, I told my wife that this was the "daily wearer" and that I'd be getting a really nice one next (that is, a Montecristi). She said "This one looks really nice! Do they come better?". Ohhh, if she only knew! :p

I'm sure you'll be very happy when yours arrives!

Cheers!

C-C

Optionseeker

New in Town
Cuenca Brisa arrived today

Hi All, I'm fairly new around here and decided to contact PB after reading about his hats in this (and other) threads. I ordered a $35 Cuenca Brisa and it arrived today.

Umm, I think Bob may have sent me the wrong hat, it is waaay too nice. Same as the pics above but in a more melon like 62. A quick steam to shape the brim and it looks terrific.

Please, please do not show me what he delivers for $250..... far too tempting.

John
:eusa_clap

CuencaBrisa057.jpg

CuencaBrisa058.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Mikeymex

New in Town
PB Cuencas

PB does deliver. I got a few of his hats for my wife's little clothing biz here in Mexico and was (am) so happy I did. Kind of hoping I can keep a couple for myself.

John and Plymouth: Look great on you!

I just came back from vacation where I picked up a PHD hat that I had Art Fawcett reblock and finish. Will post pics here soon before and after.

So choice!

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
Panama Bob set me up with a great, great Cuenca for $35 + shipping (and this wasn’t a special deal, I just PM’d him and told him what I wanted). A hat that would be $60 anywhere else. So I’d say take your $55 to him, and see what he can get you for that money.

3d025386.jpg

You won’t be disappointed, I get nothing but compliments on mine.

-Dave

I just recently bought this same hat from Panama Bob, though I lucked out on a little better price through his eBay store. Been getting great comments on it all over town. Already ordered another, with his Caballero (diamond) block and a black band. Should be here any day now ...

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Panama Bob Montecristi by Batsakes

After a crummy day at the office, the best thing to cheer you up (besides your kids) is a new hatbox waiting on the doorstep. A Panama Bob Montecristi bought from him on eBay. Blocked by Gus Miller at Batsakes. 2 5/8" brim. Thank goodness we've got three more months of summer left.

P1050085.jpg

P1050091.jpg

P1050094.jpg

P1050105.jpg

Cracker

One of the Regulars
1949 Panama?

I got this on ebay a few months ago. The seller said it had been purchased new in 1949. It certainly looks and feels old enough, but I'm not sure about that pug. I don't much like it, though I'd keep it if I knew it was original. The hat retains its (much lighter) original color beneath; if it's a replacement, it's the same width as the original. Does anyone have any thoughts on a make and date for this hat?

Unfortunately, this hat reeks of years of cigarette smoke, and a few weeks in a bag with newspapers (and several mists of Febreze) hasn't done enough to suit me. But it sure is comfortable...

IMG_8683.jpg

Optimo crease through the crown and off-center front pinch.
P1050074.jpg
P1050075.jpg

P1050078.jpg

P1050079.jpg

P1050080.jpg

P1050082.jpg

P1050095.jpg

Cool1

New in Town
Straw Repairs?

Anyone know a good source for repairs to a vintage straw? I have a VERY old Stetson straw - will post an image when I can figure out how - that came to me with some broken areas in the crown. It's a way cool hat, and I'd like to put it back together if at all possible.

Thanks,
C1

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Cracker said:
After a crummy day at the office, the best thing to cheer you up (besides your kids) is a new hatbox waiting on the doorstep. A Panama Bob Montecristi bought from him on eBay. Blocked by Gus Miller at Batsakes. 2 5/8" brim. Thank goodness we've got three more months of summer left.

Saw that -- wish it had been in my size. Nice score!

singlechange

One of the Regulars
Montecristi Supernatural

I'm already on my third panama hat. This one acquired very recently from seller who found it at an estate sale in Florida. She told me that it was going into the garbage when she rescued it. The previous owner of the hat and his wife retired to Florida in the 1950's and from then until 1980 travelled extensively and the hat was purchased sometime then. She sent it to me in the pictured box which is how she got it but didn't know if it was the original box. The box looks old though but in very good condition as with the panama hat. Hat specifics: crown is 4 1/2 inches, brim 2 inches and ribbon 1 1/4 inches. Looks to be size 6 1/2-3/4. There is stamped in the crown in blue capital letters GENUINE MONTECRISTI WOVEN IN ECUADOR. Also underneath the black leather headband in pencil: 1917 something illegible and then 44-F.
I'd thought it would be useful to post the hat for future cataloging purposes. Here is the link in PhotoBucket: http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/singlechange/II Montecristi/

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Another PB Panama

I just got this one yesterday...
ae43cd0b.jpg

After a little steam and shaping...
010497b3.jpg

So now in a few short weeks I have a Caballero, Quevedo, and a Rio Plata from PB. I have caught this thing and I foresee trouble...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24