Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Almost time for the Panamas to come out !!!!!!! 74 here today .... Always sad to but my felts up though .... But can't wait to bring out my Montis :)!!!!!!

This thread should pick up in postings pretty soon!

T Rick

Practically Family
Almost time for the Panamas to come out !!!!!!! 74 here today .... Always sad to but my felts up though .... But can't wait to bring out my Montis :)!!!!!!

This thread should pick up in postings pretty soon!
Well, I lucked out and got some of Bob's hats ordered just in time to find out I'd be heading for South FL here for a few months for work... diverted delivery to the hotel I stayed at first, they've already gotten a good "breaking in". Love all three, though I admit I've still worn my felts a lot (and miss the ones I left up North). But my choice usually goes to the Panamas after work when it's over 80 or 85 (during work, a hard hat is required).

Really need to get some pics of these great hats! I'll see about that this weekend.

fmw

One Too Many
My first Panama Bob hat arrived yesterday. One of his $39.95 specials. Good quality and great value. The weave is more consistent than with other inexpensive panamas I have. Thanks, Bob.

optimopanama.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
fmw: how long did you have to wait? I like that it didn't cost an arm and a leg and yet is nice looking and functional.

fmw

One Too Many
I waited one working day. I ordered it on Friday. It was delivered on Monday. It helps, I guess, to be only 90 miles from Fort Wayne.

fmw

One Too Many
I view straw hats as disposable and I don't expect them to last very long. That might be unfair to the better quality hats but it is a sentiment I have. So $39.95 for a good looking and functional summer hat is just fine with me.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I view straw hats as disposable and I don't expect them to last very long. That might be unfair to the better quality hats but it is a sentiment I have. So $39.95 for a good looking and functional summer hat is just fine with me.

Hi, I agree on straw hats being disposable. That's why I don't have any of the really nice ones. If I sit on my new Jaxonbilt 50% beaver felt hat, I just re-shape it. I sat on my Sunbody (before I learned about soaking it once in a while) and will be having a ceremonial burning later this year... I understand that a craftsman puts far more hours into a nice $1000 Panama than they do any felt hat, but well, being sort of a klutz and being hard on toys in general, I'm better off with 20 el cheapo Panamas, than 1 $1K one.

Later

I don't like to think of them as disposable, but given the wear and tear on summer hats, the economy of buying vintage may be a good alternative to a cheap hat. This Montecristi was 28 dollars and change on a popular auction site that many of us frequent:

optimo2.jpg

optimo1.jpg

optimo3.jpg

optimo4.jpg

PHOTO_2879898_27521_5062477_ap.jpg

hand%20the%20hatter.jpg

after a nice steam bath:

hand_the_hatter.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
It cleaned up very nicely. Looks great. I love the look of the optimo. As you know, I did win a Stetson Milan today on Ebay. It was less than $40 with shipping so I certainly don't disagree with you about the value available with a little looking and clicking.

Two Panamas from two different shops in Peoria, IL. Modest weave counts in the 250-400 class - both are in nice condition. The Supernatural fedora has a navy pugaree. Sorry the photo quality isn't better:

last_straws1.jpg

last_straws5.jpg

last_straws4.jpg

last_straws2.jpg

last_straws3.jpg

last_straws6.jpg

Reactions: DRB

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Two Panamas from two different shops in Peoria, IL. Modest weave counts in the 250-400 class - both are in nice condition. The Supernatural fedora has a navy pugaree. Sorry the photo quality isn't better:

last_straws6.jpg

BOTH of those look nice ! I especially like pug's on my Panama's also having them on 5 of the 8 that I have. The Fedora I like a lot :)

malacoda

New in Town
A superfino from PanamaBob

A superfino from PanamaBob. When I opened the box I was breathless - the hat didn't meet my expectations, it exceeded them. I was absolutely thrilled.

I ordered it 'hand blocked in Ecuador' and the blocking also surpassed my expectations, being much 'crisper' than what I expected from hand blocking...

My original plan was to enjoy it for the coming summer while saving up a few bucks to send it off to Art in the fall for re-blocking and a new ribbon.

However, being a little too 'gun shy' after having another (cheap) panama drastically shrink on me after being caught in a downpour (without thinking I left the wet hat in a hot car which pretty much reduced the headband to a bracelet - went from a 7 1/4 to about a 6 7/8), I went one size large on my measurement when ordering. Turns out I went overboard - it was a little too large/loose even with a bit of foam tucked in the headband...

So, rather than waiting until fall, I immediately sent it out to Art for re-sizing/blocking and a new ribbon (navy with a dash of light grey in the bow).

I couldn't be happier.

Fantastic hat Mr. Weber, please also pass a 'job well done' on to the weaver (M.A.N. if those are his/her initials lightly penned inside the hat?).

Stunning job on the re-blocking and ribbon Mr. Fawcett.

Thank you gentlemen!

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

And next to the 'shrunken' hat (~12 wpi which I guess would put it on par with a sub fino) for comparison:

DSCF0018.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A superfino from PanamaBob. When I opened the box I was breathless - the hat didn't meet my expectations, it exceeded them. I was absolutely thrilled.

I ordered it 'hand blocked in Ecuador' and the blocking also surpassed my expectations, being much 'crisper' than what I expected from hand blocking...

My original plan was to enjoy it for the coming summer while saving up a few bucks to send it off to Art in the fall for re-blocking and a new ribbon.

However, being a little too 'gun shy' after having another (cheap) panama drastically shrink on me after being caught in a downpour (without thinking I left the wet hat in a hot car which pretty much reduced the headband to a bracelet - went from a 7 1/4 to about a 6 7/8), I went one size large on my measurement when ordering. Turns out I went overboard - it was a little too large/loose even with a bit of foam tucked in the headband...

So, rather than waiting until fall, I immediately sent it out to Art for re-sizing/blocking and a new ribbon (navy with a dash of light grey in the bow).

I couldn't be happier.

Fantastic hat Mr. Weber, please also pass a 'job well done' on to the weaver (M.A.N. if those are his/her initials lightly penned inside the hat?).

Stunning job on the re-blocking and ribbon Mr. Fawcett.

DSCF0007.JPG

Thank you gentlemen!

A true beauty. I like the high-quality photo. Got to get one myself.

wing-nut

New in Town
Hey guys, I know this is called the Fedora Lounge. You all have great style and hats that I wish I could wear and look as good as you do. But I live in Central Texas where a cowboy hat is the norm. I was wondering if anyone has taken a panama (maybe a PB) and gave it a western look? I'm not talking the panama of the Shantung variety but a real honest to goodness toquilla gem. It seems as though they would be lighter, cooler and softer. Will they hold their shape? Would you recommend it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran