Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Many of the straw hat blocks have been in consistant use since the 19th century--including this one. If you don't look at the tags and liner the bodies are the same. There are some ribbon and bow treatments that would be more particular to the era, but Pug's have been around a long time too.

end of WWI
Screen%2520shot%25202012-03-15%2520at%25204.34.24%2520PM.png
Screen%2520shot%25202012-03-15%2520at%25203.40.32%2520PM.png

That Lady's hat style...I've got about 40 of them in the garage. I'm going to have them changed into fedoras w/ curled brims as time allows.

Panama Hat History

Hello,

Brandon from DelMonico Hatter here. I was curious, would any of you be willing to give some feedback on a Panama Hat History page that we've recently put up? Page is here:

delmonicohatter.com/panama-hats-straw-history.htm

I wanted to get an idea of what you all thought of it before we "released it into the wild", since at this point, we've only shown it to our newsletter subscribers. It's gone over pretty well so far, so we're thinking of doing more mini-features like this for other items of hat history, too.

Thanks again,
Brandon
DelMonico Hatter

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Hi folks, been a while since I checked in at the Lounge.

I think this is the summer I'm going to get my first Panama hat. I'm one of the silly boys who will wear a lightweight felt hat in 'most any weather but a straw option really would be nice during July and August when the sun is high and the humidity is higher.

Always had good luck dealing with Bencraft for Borsalino felt hats so I'm inclined to do business with them on a nice Tesi straw hat. They have a "Montecristi Optimo" from Tesi with a modest 2-3/4" brim and nice full crown. How's that sound for a sun keeper-offer-topper to tide me over until the nice felt weather returns?

There are several other "Panama" models as well as a "Parabuntal" and even a linen-straw hat among Bencraft's Tesi selections. Any reason to prefer one of those? The only thing that could possibly sway me might be a color option other than the rather white-looking "Natural". But that means getting the Parabuntal which probably isn't as nice a material, right?

dnjan

One Too Many
Wind cord for women's straw hats?

What method of hat retention is used on women's straw hats? I am picturing some kind of ribbons that would tie under the chin, but would like to see details.

Also, what other options would work? I don't think a standard men's wind cord would quite make it.

mattface

Practically Family
I'm really pleased with my latest Etsy buy. My first Montecristi, and a pretty decent one! The brim is wider than I ordiniraily think I wear at 3 1/8", but it considering I'll wear it on hot summer days I think the added sun protection from the wide brim may just be what the Dr. ordered. It was an Optimo crease when I got it which didn't exactly suit me, but I realized hey an Optimo crease on a Panama is pretty much an open crease with a nice crease to help you find the center. I did not stop to take before pictures, I just fired up the steamer and went to work. SO:

Before (from etsy listing):

montecristi before by mattface, on Flickr

After shaping. I was going for a more classic diamond, but often a hat talks to me, and this was what it wanted to do:

montecristi3 by mattface, on Flickr

montecristi2 by mattface, on Flickr

montecristi1 by mattface, on Flickr

And here it is on:

montecristi4 by mattface, on Flickr

Wish I had bothered to straighten my collar. More and better photos of this toquilla gem will probably follow.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good job Matt. I was thinking along the same lines as I wanted to do the same but wasn't sure how that center crease would translate. Looks ok though really.
Nice looking hat .

mattface

Practically Family
Matt, that turned out great. I always wondered if that could be done to an Optimo.

Yes. I've got an old Navy Blue Stetson Medalist Panama (that I should really photograph and add pics of here) that I added a pinch to, but otherwise did not change the crease much, but this was the first time I've tried to change the crease in a major way on a Panama, and I found the material to be exceptionally malleable with some steam, and to hold the shape quite well once it cools. Not precisely like fur felt, but quite malleable in a similar way to very fine fur felt when seamed, but actually more prone to hold the shape once cooled. I think the fineness of the weave helped here, but I haven't got much t compare it to.

Matt, You did a good job with the re-crease. That will be a great hat for the summer.

In fact it is. It's a hot sunny day, and I've been wearing it as I'm out and about. It breathes better than any of the coarser weave panamas I've worn, light breezes blow right it, and the additional shade of the wider brim is also nice.

Good job Matt. I was thinking along the same lines as I wanted to do the same but wasn't sure how that center crease would translate. Looks ok though really.
Nice looking hat .

Thanks! I quite like the center crease in the mix with the teardrop.

Last edited:

CrashInBlack

New in Town
Hi all, I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while and finally decided to post up a hat. I just received this Stetson Retro Panama from Delmonico Hatters this morning. They were easy to work with and nice enough to put a long oval in it for me. Very happy to have a nice summer hat now that my Felt and Wool ones are put away for the season.

DSCF5153.jpg

-Ryan

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Matt good job on the re-crease and you can pull off the larger brim look quite well...

I on the other hand don't look so hot in the larger brims and that limits my choices.......

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I had a really fine Llano Liso with a long brim and Gus Miller turned it into this beauty of a Gambler.
Gus2.jpg

I also have been toying with Peruvian hats and had Gus block a couple. Here's one. These are the sturdiest Panama hats I've seen. As one member here has said, they are a brick "" house of a hat.
peruvian.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters