Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
My new hat from Panama Bob, with the help of Bob Jessee from Blacksheep hat works who installed this ribbon that used to be on DJH's hat.....:D

Thanks to all for making this come together for me.....

24dj3ib.jpg

23t407l.jpg

2508fid.jpg

Noggin shot in the WHAYWT Thread....

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm really pleased with my latest Etsy buy. My first Montecristi, and a pretty decent one! The brim is wider than I ordiniraily think I wear at 3 1/8", but it considering I'll wear it on hot summer days I think the added sun protection from the wide brim may just be what the Dr. ordered. It was an Optimo crease when I got it which didn't exactly suit me, but I realized hey an Optimo crease on a Panama is pretty much an open crease with a nice crease to help you find the center. I did not stop to take before pictures, I just fired up the steamer and went to work. SO:

Wish I had bothered to straighten my collar. More and better photos of this toquilla gem will probably follow.

Inspired by Matt's bold example:

A vintage Christys'

vintageChristysPanamaoptimo.jpg

BEFORE

AFTER

DSC_0088a.jpg
DSC_0093a-1.jpg

DSC_0091a.jpg
DSC_0092a.jpg

DSC_0090a.jpg
DSC_0089a.jpg
:p

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thanks Br and Chepstow, I could just picture that ribbon on a panama when I saw it on Davids hat and when he decided to change the ribbon, i knew I had to have it......

Rick Blaine

Panama Hat Question

I finally had the oppor-knockety to weigh (what I think to be) my finest panama (no name, no brand, no ID, cotton sweat), the weave is, literally, finer than grains of sand on the beach, it is like a fine cloth & it flaps like a flag w/ a stiff wind.

I removed the pug while at a friends house who has a digital scale and it weighed in at two ounces -dead on. Can anyone (paging Mr. Weber) tell me how this compares with other Panamas' weight?

I have & would never try- but I'll wager w/o the sweat this might well roll up pass through your' wedding band.

I wish I had a macro as these are just the crappy auction pix. Likely why I was the only bidder.

panama2-1.jpg
panama1-1.jpg

panama3-1.jpg

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I finally had the oppor-knockety to weigh (what I think to be) my finest panama (no name, no brand, no ID, cotton sweat), the weave is, literally, finer than grains of sand on the beach, it is like a fine cloth & it flaps like a flag w/ a stiff wind.

I removed the pug while at a friends house who has a digital scale and it weighed in at two ounces -dead on. Can anyone (paging Mr. Weber) tell me how this compares with other Panamas' weight?

I have & would never try- but I'll wager w/o the sweat this might well roll up pass through your' wedding band.

I wish I had a macro as these are just the crappy auction pix. Likely why I was the only bidder.

panama2-1.jpg
panama1-1.jpg

panama3-1.jpg

Forget the weight what is the WPSI on that hat?

Landman

One Too Many
Greg,

That is incredible. It looks like it is wafer thin. I'd be interested in knowing the wpsi too. If you can even see the knots to count them!

panama2-1.jpg
panama1-1.jpg

panama3-1.jpg

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Has anyone had any experience with Miller straw hats in Houston. I have to take my grand daughter to Shriners Hospital in a couple of weeks and may drop in. I am in need of a decent summer hat and if possible would like to "put the lid on the jar" and see how is fits before I buy.

danofarlington

Good brick-and-morter hat shops are a rarity nowadays, and you should definitely take advantage of the opportunity to try on many different models. Almost everything I buy is from the Internet, but I'd like to have a nearby hat shop with lots of stock I might want to buy, close at hand.

DNO

One Too Many
My most recent purchase:

http://picasaweb.google.com/112035090953435902534/MontecristiPanama

$9 at a secondhand shop. Can anyone tell when the hat was produced?

I have to thank you for posting your photos, W-T. I picked up this hat a number a years ago at an estate auction and it's become one of my favourites. It has a faint stamp inside that I've never been able to figure out but thanks to your photos I think its the same Made in Ecuador stamp. Made my day. Date-wise, my hat, which seems similar to yours, has a retailer's name on the hatband. This particular retailer closed up shop around 1964-65.

Screenshot2012-06-14at80750PM.png

The stamp:

Screenshot2012-06-14at80732PM.png

1961MJS

Has anyone had any experience with Miller straw hats in Houston. I have to take my grand daughter to Shriners Hospital in a couple of weeks and may drop in. I am in need of a decent summer hat and if possible would like to "put the lid on the jar" and see how is fits before I buy.
Hi

Both Sunbody hats and Peters Brother's hats are also in Houston. Personally I have 4 Sunbody hats, and one that had been crunched too many times over the past 7 years that was getting burnt. I like them all, just keep them moist. I haven't been to Peter Brothers, but they have a custom Milan that's $150 and comes in several colors.

Sunbody hats:
http://www.sunbody.com/

Peters Brothers
https://www.pbhats.com/private/index.htm

Later

Landman

One Too Many
Peters Brothers Hats is in Ft. Worth.

I have bought online from Miller and Sunbody and both were great to deal with. I have never seen their actual store though.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
My first attempt to post a pix here, hope it works. This is a grade 3 brisa Quenca from Panama Bob pimped with new ribbon and leather sweatband from Bob Jessee at Black Sheep Hat Works. About $85 invested. Pix is from Bob at BSHW.

P1100734.jpg

Last edited:

wandering-trader

New in Town
I have to thank you for posting your photos, W-T. I picked up this hat a number a years ago at an estate auction and it's become one of my favourites. It has a faint stamp inside that I've never been able to figure out but thanks to your photos I think its the same Made in Ecuador stamp. Made my day. Date-wise, my hat, which seems similar to yours, has a retailer's name on the hatband. This particular retailer closed up shop around 1964-65.

Thanks for the lead on dating the stamp, and you're welcome. I'll let you know when I hear back from Panamabob about the date of my hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24