Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
I'm excited to soon be joining the order of panamas! I just ordered my first from Panama hats direct. I didn't want to spend too much on my first (plus my wife might do me bodily harm if I spent more, she may anyway..). So, I ordered a "Fedora 1" style which is a c-crown in "sub fino" with about a 2.3-2.5" brim and a black grosgrain ribbon. I requested that they block it in a LO with a snap-type brim configuration (up in the back, down in the front). I can't wait to receive it!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like a good choice, Blade. The really spendy ones are a bit too precious to enjoy without worrying about them sustaining damage, and the cheapies aren't much fun to wear. Yours should be just right. Be sure to post up a noggin shot. :)

Last edited:

Dronak

Familiar Face
I got a new Panama hat (Stetson Retro) last week, and posted it to the general new hat thread (here's the link). But I see no harm in posting the photo here as well, so here it is:
stetsonretro.jpg

There's a stamp inside that says "Made in Ecuador" and "Panama Hats", too, which I understand makes it an authentic Panama hat. I know this isn't one of the best, but that's fine for me. It's nicer than my previous straw hats and has a wider brim (about 2-3/8" or so) so it should be more effective at blocking sunlight. I even got a compliment on it today. :)

While looking up more info on Panama hats, I saw some stuff about the types of weave and how tight/dense it is. The weave here seems rather coarse, but a bit variable; it looks tighter in some parts of the crown than the brim for example. I guess that's not too surprising for a lower quality hat; I've heard this is a Grade 3, but I'm not sure that means very much. What seemed a little odd to me is that the weave also varies. I'm not sure how well you can see that in the picture, but comparing what I read to my hat, it looks like most of this hat uses a brisa weave while a few parts of it use a llano weave -- where the crown and brim meet, plus a circle or few on the top of the crown. Is this good, bad, indifferent? Can anyone comment or provide a bit more info? This is the first real Panama hat I've gotten (my other straws were cheap stingy brims from Macy's or something), so I'm interested in learning a bit more about the details here. Thanks!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Hmm, it does say on Casey's website that the Optimo is rollable - maybe you have to run it over with a truck a few times first?

You can add me to the list of those liking the Havana over the Optimo....

As a matter of fact I just got one from one of my friends... he ordered it from Casey and it came in hard as a brick and a much smaller brim that what he ordered......

So happens we wear the same size,,, so I got a Casey Montecristi for $50.....

I am going to try spritzing it with distilled water and working the brim by hand to soften it and get the shape I want.......

falis

New in Town
The new Signes Montecristo (or so it says)
uploadfromtaptalk1370120670580.jpg

And today was the second great day to wear it.

- Ed F

---
For every complex problem, there's a solution that is clear, simple and wrong!

- H.L. Mencken

Last edited:

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
I have my first Panama on order! It's supposed to ship tomorrow, from Panador hats. I went with the safari Panama, 3" brim. I know it isn't a top
shelf Panama by any means, but I'm looking forward to it as a nicer alternative to my Tilleys.

Duper

Practically Family
I have my first Panama on order! It's supposed to ship tomorrow, from Panador hats. I went with the safari Panama, 3" brim. I know it isn't a top
shelf Panama by any means, but I'm looking forward to it as a nicer alternative to my Tilleys.

I have a panador hat and like it very much. I hope you post pictures and a quick review once your new hat comes in. Love my Tilley hat as well.

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
Duper, what did you think of Panador's customer service? I've been waiting three weeks for them to ship an "in stock" hat. They never contacted me until I sent them an email. The hat was supposed to ship the following day and I was to be emailed tracking data. That was last week, no tracking data and no hat...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have my first Panama on order! It's supposed to ship tomorrow, from Panador hats. I went with the safari Panama, 3" brim. I know it isn't a top shelf Panama by any means, but I'm looking forward to it as a nicer alternative to my Tilleys.

Hi

I worked out early in my hat buying days, that certain people aren't cut out to own top shelf panama hats (or other fragile high end items). I sat on a dried out Sun Body and Broke it dammit.

Later

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I worked out early in my hat buying days, that certain people aren't cut out to own top shelf panama hats (or other fragile high end items). I sat on a dried out Sun Body and Broke it dammit.

Later

I seem to get through a panama every couple of years through unexpected rain badly deforming it / me crushing it too.

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
lol well I can be hard on hats at times, so I wasn't about to spend big bucks on my first panama. Felts on the other hand, I'll spend some good money on. At least I know I can wear them for years.

frenchgentleman

New in Town
Panama hat by Pauline Brosset

Hi everybody!

I just get my new Panama hat. It is a custom Montecristi from my milliner Pauline Brosset here in Paris. The weaving is a grade 20. Since the grading system seems not to be very reliable from one vendor to another, she told me that it takes two months to weave this hat body.

p1050351-3ee8343.jpg

p1050350-3ee834f.jpg

p1050352-3ee8354.jpg

p1050347-3ee835e.jpg

p1050338-copy-3eea879.jpg
p1050339-copy-3eea87e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran