Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Milsurp

New in Town
scotrace said:
Oh my ...

No worries. Like I said, it's hard to tell without tone and body language.

I wish someone would give me a good scolding, I need to quit wasting time here and get some stuff done!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Milsurp said:
I've been in the drawing for a free panama hat from panama hats direct for a year now. I think it's obvious my name will only get drawn after I buy one. :D

I realize you're saying that jokingly and tongue-in-cheek, but I can attest to that NOT being correct. I've never bought a hat from Bob, but did indeed win one.

I entered the monthly contest late in the day on February 28 of 2008. I got up the next morning and read the announcement I'd won. Frankly, I was floored and couldn't believe it. Through a parade of wrong hats or wrong sizes being sent, or shipments being lost, the hat FINALLY arrived a few days ago.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
I realize you're saying that jokingly and tongue-in-cheek, but I can attest to that NOT being correct. I've never bought a hat from Bob, but did indeed win one.

I entered the monthly contest late in the day on February 28 of 2008. I got up the next morning and read the announcement I'd won. Frankly, I was floored and couldn't believe it. Through a parade of wrong hats or wrong sizes being sent, or shipments being lost, the hat FINALLY arrived a few days ago.

Mike, he's not referring to Bob's drawing, he's referring specifically to P.H.D.

"I've been in the drawing for a free panama hat from panama hats direct for a year now"

irb

Familiar Face
Inkstains said:
Here is my experience: You buy a mid-range Montechristi hat from Robert (PanamaBob) and you end up up with a treasure. So you go back to get a beach beater and you end up with another gem. Hard to fault a guy for that.

I recently bought (and am eagerly awaiting delivery of) a Montecristi from Robert and though I'll hold off final judgment until it arrives of course, I will say that dealing with them has been great fun and they have been cheerfully responsive to a couple issues I had that were entirely my fault (one of which dealt with my hat size, the other is none of your business :p)

Cigarband

A-List Customer
PanamaBob's Drawing

I was in the drawing for close to 18 months, never really thinking much about it. Then one day there was my name in the email. I can't begin to tell how pleased I am with the Havana style Cuenca I won. I get compliments everytime I wear it. Chicks dig the hat. I love it so much that I am saving up to get a Montecristi from Bob. PanamaBob Rocks!:eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Roll on the summer, Unroll the Panama..!!

I'm lucky that the Summer Room eases me into the Summer as if it's rather nippy outside, but the sun is shining, I can still nurse a cocktail on my Plantation Chair!;)

Casablanca003.jpg

DSC04418-CROP.jpg

summersuit002.jpg

DSCN0466.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Neil

A-List Customer
New from Robert. . . .

Ordered this last December, just received it. I'm told the weave count is 800-1000 wpsi.
It was blocked by an expert in the U.S., who did an excellent job.
VERY wide brim, and I ordered it that way. It's a bit like the "Mombasa" model Brent Black flogs on his website. It can be worn with the brim snapped, but frankly, it lends itself better to being worn down in front and back, which gives it quite a casual look.
Very supple, very light. I think it's a brilliant hat. Mr. Weber came through as promised, and responded quickly and satisfactorily to any inquiry I had. I've ordered three other hats from him: A rollable Optimo, a superfine hat with a regular brim, and a semi-calado Montecristi.
Summer is nearly here, after all.
Dogandhats004.jpg
[/IMG]
Dogandhats005.jpg
[/IMG]
Dogandhats006.jpg
[/IMG]

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice, Neil. I'm thinking of offering all of my Panamas for sale actually. I'm finding I like the milans better, but that one is a beauty.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've worn my milan a few times this year, but today was my first day back in my Art-blocked Panama Bob.

Panama2.jpg

Panama4.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
For me, it was part of the purchase. When I ordered, I asked Bob to have the hat blocked in the US. You'll need to contact Art to find out what his wait time would be if you need a panama that you've already purchased blocked. I know that he switches between felt and straw every so often because he can't work on both at once. Apparently, all of those little felt fibers would stick to the wet straw hats and ruin everything.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Still looks good Lefty, didn't I do that one last summer? I've lost track.
Neil, the economy has hit everywhere and right now I am under a month waiting on my hats.

Neil

A-List Customer
Waiting time. . .

I hear that, Art. I can't think of anyone unaffected.
What I was basically asking is whether a blocking is the same as ordering a hat. . . in other words, same queue?
And I guess you answered the question.

Neil

A-List Customer
Calado crazy with pictures

Any thoughts on air-conditioned Montecristis?
Here are three raw hats, in three different styles, plus a finished hat, actually for sale right now by BobC, who, puzzlingly, has decided he's a Milan man instead.
What is the best pattern? What block suits a semi-calado best?
Given the latticework, is a semi-calado best in high weave count, or lower, firmer weave count?
Anyone? Anyone?

caladoone.jpg

caladotwo.jpg

airconditioned2.jpg

aircon2.jpg

duggap

Banned
Well Neil, I have never tried the open weave but I have two regular Panamas I got from Panama Bob. I was surprised at how hot the hats actually were. I am considering the open weave just to make it cooler.

Neil

A-List Customer
It's true. . .

They are hot. The finer, the hotter, it seems. Hotter than felt, I think.
I have one of the symmetrical ones on order from PB, and intend to have it blocked just like BobC's. (Or, as I think he now wants to be called, "Milan Bob.")
The block is done by Batsakes in Cincinnati.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo