Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Ribbon Change

jpbales

Practically Family
Hey everybody,
I just finished putting a new ribbon on my PanamaBob panama. It's one that I purchased off of ebay from them, and it came with a less-nice black ribbon (had no sheen to it) and a cloth sweatband, and is probably sub-fino (maybe less) quality, which doesn't bother me anyway (it's good for me, and good for 35$). It was a tad bit snug on me, and the original ribbon wouldn't stretch, but once I took the ribbon off I was able to stretch the hat to fit. When I tried to put the original ribbon back it, it no longer fit. So I got a nice new ribbon!
Here's the original:
Panamaw_flag.jpg

The ribbon is black and 1 3/8 inches. This was also before I had worn it a lot. My big ol' long-oval head causes some brim distortion, and about all I can do about that is iron and steam it out from time to time.

Here's it after the new ribbon:
DSC01086.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

DSC01085.jpg

The new ribbon is red ("flame"), cotton/rayon mix and it looks much nicer than the orginal, which was probably just polyester or something. I like the dressy look of the bow, which I modeled after some I saw on Art Fawcett's website. It's my first complete ribbon replace, and I'm surprised at the great results- the ribbon looks better than before, and my hat fits without me having to push it down on my head!
I can't wait for spring to come again!

What do you guys think? I guess I should have asked before changing the ribbon ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Yep, that's a red ribbon.

A small piece of the black ribbon, 1/4-1/2" wide, wrapped around the center of the bow might be a nice accent. It would also add to the AF vibe.

Nicely done.

jpbales

Practically Family
carter said:

A small piece of the black ribbon, 1/4-1/2" wide, wrapped around the center of the bow might be a nice accent. It would also add to the AF vibe.

Nicely done.

good idea, I'll definitly keep that in mind next time I do a ribbon change!

jpbales

Practically Family
yes, red, the color of the blood shed by the Marines who have fallen fighting for our nations freedom! this is true, but not what I had in mind when I was deciding on the ribbon color :D Red is one of our colors, tho

indycop said:
I guess that must be Ja I mean marine red?lol

It would look good with a black globe and anchor.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
carter said:

Nicely done.

Yeah right and I hope Art sues your Texan/Shenandoah Valley derriere off!:D :D :D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Job.....

carter said:

Nicely done.
I agree, some sort of accent would really pop. Great job though.....:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24