Peaked lapel question

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by carldelo, Mar 15, 2012.

1. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

On peaked lapels, there is a often (always?) a bit of thread holding the actual peak of the lapel to the rest of the collar. I always assumed this was meant to remain in place and help the lapel lie flat. Mostly because on the couple of double-breasted jackets I have, the thread is the correct color to 'disappear', and not be noticeable. Today, a colleague with a a new peaked lapel jacket asked if it should be removed, like the thread used to keep pockets and vents closed on new jackets. Thoughts?

2. Qirrel

Qirrel Practically Family

If it is there, it is meant to be permanent, although it is not strictly needed to keep the shape of the lapel.

3. It's probably meant to stay there to keep the lapel looking right. The construction of modern suits is different than the old stuff. The super woolens and other fabrics hang (drape) differently and wrinkle differently than the old fabrics.

4. ^^Both posters are correct; it is meant to stay there.

5. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

Thanks guys - nice to know my guess was correct.