Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pearl Harbor Day movies

filfoster

One Too Many
Anyone going to watch 'Tora, Tora, Tora" this weekend or tomorrow?
(Notice I didn't reference the middling "Pearl Harbor' effort of Mr. Affleck)
Or, are these movies politically inconvenient, never mind their artistic merits or lack thereof?

By the way, I still like 'The Winds of War' and the sequels. The Pearl Harbor scenes are just OK but in context of the characters' lives, very moving.

filfoster

One Too Many
Someone must remember Pearl Harbor Day on this site.

Just a 'yes' or 'no' will do.

My dad was a wounded WW2 Army vet and this stuff means something to me. I have met two veterens who were there at Pearl on 'the day'. Unforgettable chats. One was an officer on the USS Helena who manned an anti-aircraft gun because there was no one else, even though the Helena escaped major damage. But see what happened to her later in the Coral Sea.

I am at this moment, 2117 hours firing this DVD up. Beneficiaries of valor, attend.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'm a big fan of "Tora, Tora, Tora," not so much so of "Pearl Harbor" with Harnet and Afflect, even though I do find Kate Beckinsale very pretty...

My grandad was a Pearl Harbor vet on the USS Avocet a seaplane tender. Here she is with the Nevada hit in the background.

USS_Nevada_nose_down_the_channel_at_Hospital_point.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget From Here To Eternity. While it's mostly focused on the personal lives of its characters before the attack, it remains a great film.

(My father had enlisted in the Army Air Corps and was just out of basic training at the time of the attack. He was among the first wave that was sent to rebuild Pearl Harbor's airfields, and he lived in the Schofield Barracks complex where much of the film's exteriors were shot a decade later.)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I'm probably the only person here who actually likes IN HARM'S WAY (1965). Sure, there are anachronistic fashions and toy boat special effects, but the "human drama" has always been quite well done. I also love Jerry Goldsmith's score.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't have any Pearl Harbor movies anymore since I only had them on VHS and the ex-hubby took the VCR player. So guess I need to upgrade to DVD on those!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
'Tora, Tora, Tora' aside from the lack of authenticity to women's fashions of the 40s, the film is much more enjoyable then "Pearl Harbor".

I watched it once at the Alex Theater in Glendale, really neat to see it on a big screen and in an old theater! Real will always beat CGI any day!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Yes.
:eek:fftopic:

Can someone remind me of the name of the film I saw in the theatre in which Kirk Douglas captains the USS NIMITZ, Martin Sheen is, I think, a reporter or researcher, and the NIMITZ goes back in time to just before December 7th 1941 and nearly changes history.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
(I've told this story before, but I might as well tell it again. ;) )
I was in the USMC in 1967, and had just been posted to Honolulu, in June of that year. My job was keypunch operator. BOOOORING! So, I spent my afternoons that summer looking out the window as they "bombed" Pearl Harbor. My base, Camp Smith, sits high above Pearl, with a front row balcony seat of the entire harbor. There were usually about 6 planes in action at any time. They had taken a smaller ship, like a mine sweeper or something, and covered it with plywood to make it look like a battleship, and they were using it for closeups. We used to sit in the patio of the enlisted mens' club and watch them.
One time I was at Richardson Center, a PX right on the water. Suddenly the earth shook as six of the planes (dolled up US Navy trainers, actually) roared over at tree top level. And that was just 6 planes. I tried to imagine the roar 360 planes would have made. During my time there, I actually met a couple of people who had witnessed the actual attack.
Anyway, it was pretty cool, and every time I see "Tora Tora Tora", I remember that summer.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
From Here To Eternity.

The opening scene when Montgomery Clift dares to enter the company dayroom
and grab a pool stick off the wall rack, and First Sergeant Burt Lancaster steps inside
to cue clued-on-cues Clift,
"What do you think you're doing? This is a rifle outfit. You're not suppose
to enjoy yourself before sundown. Put that cue away and follow me."

Man, that's Infantry. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran