Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats?

BENJAMIN W FOREST

New in Town
Does anyone know what’s going on with John Penman?

Attempted to contact him last month about getting a new hat and getting one of my old ones sent in for a cleaning.

Received an odd response from someone, that wasn’t him, saying he won’t be taking any business for the foreseeable future.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Short answer: no.

Nobody has any insight into the situation on COW either. Some are speculating it is related to the upcoming Indiana Jones movie, this is just idle speculation from Indy fans. His wait list was getting fairly long so he may just be trying to catch up. Folks have also been experiencing COVID related supply chain issues as well.

BENJAMIN W FOREST

New in Town
Short answer: no.

Nobody has any insight into the situation on COW either. Some are speculating it is related to the upcoming Indiana Jones movie, this is just idle speculation from Indy fans. His wait list was getting fairly long so he may just be trying to catch up. Folks have also been experiencing COVID related supply chain issues as well.

Hmmm. I suppose I assumed something like this as well. Also heard he was doing “Indiana Jones 5” hats.

I’ve spoken to him personally several times and he always answers and talks my ear off. So, thought it curious not to hear from him.

thank you!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last I heard with stores closed he was still making hats but from home which slowed thing down dramatically. Could be why he stopped taking new orders as well.
Johnny

JHG177

New in Town
Update for those interested. I paid for my hat last August as a graduation gift to myself. I knew it would take awhile, and to build in delays hence I ordered it a year in advance.

Well, last week, while waiting for my hat, I got an unsolicited/contextless refund via PayPal. No explanation, nothing. I emailed John and asked if this was a mistake, and got back a reply from ‘Anna’ saying that John is ill and that supplies were very sluggish.

I’m graduating next week, no time to find another hat maker so I’m terrifically disappointed, though John’s health should of course be paramount to my needs.

I asked if he planned to continue at some point and Anna said she hoped so. I then asked if and when John gets back to it, can they send an email to those who were refunded. She said she only helps with emails and on weekends with household stuff but imagines he would post his return on social media and his website.

I’m curious to know if he’ll make some announcement about all of this as it was not the level of communication and/or service that I feel I was led to believe was consummate with this respected craftsman. I have no reason not to believe Anna, though I will concede, saying someone is ill but then saying it’s equally about sluggish supplies makes me question what is really going on. Anyhow, I hope John is okay.

Did anyone else get refunded after almost a year long wait?

psklenar

One of the Regulars
... I will concede, saying someone is ill but then saying it’s equally about sluggish supplies makes me question what is really going on. ...

I would honestly suspect it's both issues. Being ill plus supply chain difficulties ... the perfect storm. Because there sure as heck have been, and in many cases still are, supply chain issues across just about every product line you can think of thanks to the past year. :(

I hope he get's better. I really wanted to order one of his hats now that I can afford it. :(

JHG177

New in Town
Yup, just hope he’s healthy first. If he gets back to hats, great, would love to be considered to get back in line where I was... but if he doesn’t, I hope it’s because he has chosen to retire and not precluded from doing so by his I’ll health. Sending good vibes your way, John! ❤️

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Concerned about one of our community. Been following Mr Penman for years online. I would hate to see misfortune fall upon him but I also would like to know how he his doing. Any update would be appropriated.
Johnny

psklenar

One of the Regulars
He's back at work!

pat----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112