Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

Asmo

One of the Regulars
With all this talk of Penman Hats recently, I think I'll wear one today.
e5fc358ab04f7d79542b7672ee651bc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottcw

New in Town
I received my first custom Penman last Friday. I have worn it twice since. The fit is spot on, nothing like the "whoosh" that goes with the suction of a perfect fit. The quality, fit and finish are all top notch. I have another Penman not made for me that I tweaked to fit. Based on these two hats, I hope to order more from John in the future.

Here is a picture of my custom.

Penman.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
just put in my order and payed for my first Penman hat to be made .... and I say "first" because I have a feeling it will not be my last

I spent a good amount of time doing research on hat makers and Johns name kept coming up in all the right places and with all the people I talked to that I trust most

I really enjoy his passion for his craft, his attention to every minor detail, the quality of materials he uses, and how he stands behind his product as they are beautiful, elegant, and also tough

and I cannot say enough about how cool of a guy he is

I mean I was firing questions at him via email for a couple days and he gracefully and honestly answered every one of them...... I was piling on questions to the point where if I were him I would have probably been annoyed ...hahaha.
John would answer every question and tell me to ask anything I would like to ask.... and I would get a response to every email I sent in .... what felt like nearly immediately

the man offered up his phone number and said to call any time with any questions or concerns or basically just to talk about anything going on in my life

that right there is old time good business

I also just found out that he is a rabid NY Giants fan like myself .... I knew I picked the right guy.

I'm really looking forward to this process and receiving the hat crafted for me in just a few short months

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Sounds good, Moon. I have a couple of John's hats and have been very happy with them. I hope you'll be posting some pics of yours when it arrives.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Sounds good, Moon. I have a couple of John's hats and have been very happy with them. I hope you'll be posting some pics of yours when it arrives.

I'll absolutely put up some pics when it arrives

Moon, nice! I don't have any of his hats, but one is on my list for sure. All his work I have seen has been phenomenal.

absolutely

his work is just superb

P90XKirk

New in Town
Just ordered my first Penman hat! I ordered a Raiders and am really excited for it! John was very gracious on the phone answering my newb questions!
Thanks again John!! Can't wait for my Raiders SA hat!!
All the Best
Kirk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Moontheloon, P90XKirk,

You won't be disappointed. I got a Raiders and a Casablanca, and they are stunning, and the ladies love the style.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Like many people around my age I fell in love with the fedora style hat after seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark in the very early 80s.
Literally leaving the theater I begged my mom for a brown hat like Indy.
A couple weeks later mom found a brown fedora at an estate sale that fit me perfectly .
I don't remember what brand hat it was ... It did say something inside on the tip liner... But I don't recall what.
I wore that hat for years... I wore it until I could no longer stretch it onto my head. I have no idea where that hat is today... But I absolutely loved that hat and I've worn hats ever since.
Here I am around 1983 or so wearing that hat.

0336dfb29154b80398323879577dd057.jpg

So it seemed only fitting when I was about to order my first Penman ... (and I say first because it will not be my last)... that I order the Raiders hat.

Well it arrived today and I have to tell you that the wait was 110% worth it.

First of all the box .... It is a thick extremely sturdy cardboard covered in a leather like vinyl with a beautiful rope handle .
Top notch !!!

EDIT: correction - I just learned from John that the box is made of recycled acid free chip board.... even better than I originally thought ... the man leaves no stone unturned

The hat is 100% beaver fur felt and probably the softest most pliable felt I have ever handled in my life.
There is no doubt that it is the most comfortable hat I've ever worn.
It literally feels like there is no hat on my head.
The fit is perfection and the craftsmanship is absolutely second to none.
The attention to detail is unbelievable.
John knocked it out of the park as always .

These grainy cell phone pics do this work of art absolutely no justice... the pics also destroy the gorgeous chocolate color

I have literally been waiting 33 years to own this hat... Since the day I walked out of that theater at 8 years old

14276fdc25140e94d66365006dee4887.jpg

19f926d4b90464e4416a8386924652e7.jpg

27a596269cf6c4ae7eef14aa5c9e6caa.jpg

8af5ec0609e168f35219745f26379b41.jpg

2e567280489899cf71753a3abe8474eb.jpg

d80d280b4ded6879a49f27442a29f98d.jpg

49e0046fab2834e789d4c7ecf848e334.jpg

8f546c2d4486494a00392f5126a22071.jpg

3494c211d9604b179a2cba6bcf41d9e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As they said at the Temple of Doom, Moon, Mazel Tov! Congrats!

Great shot of you in your first(?) hat!! I think there may (or should) be a thread for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy