Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

bendingoak

Vendor
Today I finished the AB Legacy Indy 4 hat. Winner of thee William Shatner's 24th. annual HCHS online Auction. This will give you a sneak peak of what every person will receive ordering a hat from the AB legacy collection. Hat, hat box, hat brush, lapel pin and letter from Steve Delk and myself.

http://tinypic.com/r/15nnfau/8

bendingoak

Vendor
On this up coming Monday. I will try and attempt a in real time posting of what my day is like working. This way you will get a real idea what it's like being a custom hat maker. If everything goes well.

I won't be able to post here or every forum I belong to. It would be impossible to do that or fare to just pick one. I'm going to post it on instagram, Facebook, twitter, tumblr and flicker? I can do all in one shot so you can catch it at any of those.

Instagram I'm penman6
Facebook it's www.facebook.com/jpenman3
Twitter I'm @penmanhats
Tumblr I'm penman6
Flicker penmanhats

I'll will be starting first thing 7:30 am west coast time.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
One of these days, when I can afford it, I'm going to have to get a Penman hat. Of the four Indy hats I think the LC is my favorite.

In my opinion, of all the hat makers I've seen on the forum, Black Sheep and Penman impress me the most.

Last edited:

RJR

TJ,I don't believe you can go wrong with one of John's hats,I have several.I don't have a Black Sheep so I can't offer a comparison.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TJ,I don't believe you can go wrong with one of John's hats,I have several.I don't have a Black Sheep so I can't offer a comparison.

Thanks buddy. Customers here on the Lounge swear by both of these guys. I pay a lot of attention to the details of the trim work, and in my opinion, I think Black Sheep and Penman rank the highest. It's one thing to build a quality hat, and it's another thing to make it look mediocre because of poor workmanship on the trim work. The new "Excellent" Stetson Stratoliner is a prime example of a nice hat that looks no better than mediocre because of the lack of attention to details, look at the hat's horrible ribbon work, ie. If I were going to shell out $300 for a hat I would want my money's worth all the way down to the details. I would be more inclined to pay out the extra cash to a professional hatter like Penman or Blacksheep to have one built the right way.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Thanks buddy. Customers here on the Lounge swear by both of these guys. I pay a lot of attention to the details of the trim work, and in my opinion, I think Black Sheep and Penman rank the highest. It's one thing to build a quality hat, and it's another thing to make it look mediocre because of poor workmanship on the trim work. The new "Excellent" Stetson Stratoliner is a prime example of a nice hat that looks no better than mediocre because of the lack of attention to details, look at the hat's horrible ribbon work, ie. If I were going to shell out $300 for a hat I would want my money's worth all the way down to the details. I would be more inclined to pay out the extra cash to a professional hatter like Penman or Blacksheep to have one built the right way.

I've got a couple of John's hats, and the attention to the tiniest of details is really amazing. Worth every penny.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I almost forgot what thread I was in.

Believe it or not John, I agree with you. I've seen this happen way too often. You go to a certain hatters thread to see whats new regarding that particular hatter and then it gets derailed. How does that happen? Well sometimes by what happened here just a few posts ago, and I hope I'm not going to step on TJs toes, but, when he in all good faith, wanted to "Rank" you and Blacksheep as the highest hatters here, that invariably will bring in others who have their own idea of a different "Ranking". It's all subjective and never productive and almost always leads to a thread getting derailed. There are other threads to discuss things like that if one desires.

But this is a "Penman" thread and comments about other vendors, whether off the shelf or custom will only derail it into a debate about whose best. When that happens it just ends up going down a road that makes no one happy.

fedoralover

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Believe it or not John, I agree with you. I've seen this happen way too often. You go to a certain hatters thread to see whats new regarding that particular hatter and then it gets derailed. How does that happen? Well sometimes by what happened here just a few posts ago, and I hope I'm not going to step on TJs toes, but, when he in all good faith, wanted to "Rank" you and Blacksheep as the highest hatters here, that invariably will bring in others who have their own idea of a different "Ranking". It's all subjective and never productive and almost always leads to a thread getting derailed. There are other threads to discuss things like that if one desires.

But this is a "Penman" thread and comments about other vendors, whether off the shelf or custom will only derail it into a debate about whose best. When that happens it just ends up going down a road that makes no one happy.

fedoralover

Nope. Didn't step on my toes. You made a good point though.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of John's excellent craftsmanship, here's my Penman, my first custom lid. Originally intended as my Public Enemies/Dillinger Fedora, since then I've gotten the real deal Optimo, and have added some other black hats into the mix, I decided to recrease this one as a pork pie, since I don't have any of those. Ribbon work in particular is one of John's strong points. His bows are exceedingly precise and the stitching just about invisible.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of John's excellent craftsmanship, here's my Penman, my first custom lid. Originally intended as my Public Enemies/Dillinger Fedora, since then I've gotten the real deal Optimo, and have added some other black hats into the mix, I decided to recrease this one as a pork pie, since I don't have any of those. Ribbon work in particular is one of John's strong points. His bows are exceedingly precise and the stitching just about invisible.

I'm no fan of black hats but that color combo with the burgundy ribbon really comes together well. The ribbon and bow work look perfect.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've always liked that hat, Jared. It set me off to find a something similar for myself.

John's hats are great - I have an Indy CS with the reversed version of your colour scheme that I wear often

smugshot_5459345-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic