Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Vancouver BC is not that far, relatively speaking, from a number of great hatters here in the Portland/Willamette Valley in Oregon. You can make a pilgrimage out of it and we can all meet at one of our favorite establishments for a craft brew or two!
I don't drink anymore, but I'll buy the first round for you guys!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
So MrsFed and I got out to do a little Christmas shopping for others... I wore my blue cashmere blazer and a shirt with blues, lavender-gray and similar stripes. You'll notice Goodwill behind us. I always like to check there for hidden treasures.

These pics show the blue to the blue-gray felt, and the silver-gray colors of the ribbons, with the navy ribbon in the background.

Here's the hat as it sits straight on my head. You can see how the front pinch is off to the left (my right). Nice, deep side dents that I really like.

i-mPgThRQ-XL.jpg

And here's how I think this one was born to be worn, cocked to the side like a Bogey doppleganger:

i-sWkLKKw-XL.jpg

Center crease:

i-RLFkB68-XL.jpg

Back shot:

i-xz9B922-XL.jpg

And the bow, with silver-grey to match the ribbon, navy for more contrast, and a lighter shade of silver-gray coming to a "v" highlight:

i-VJdptTd-XL.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Sir. Wear it in good health.
What does "doppelganger" mean? Im also tired of looking that word up.

Last edited:
Vancouver BC is not that far, relatively speaking, from a number of great hatters here in the Portland/Willamette Valley in Oregon. You can make a pilgrimage out of it and we can all meet at one of our favorite establishments for a craft brew or two!
I am up for that. I have a Gannon and 4 of Mike's at Northwest and 1 of Art's. My wife and I have a motorhome and spend time in Oregon every year so a road trip is right up our alley. We have talked about staying in McMinnville or Cottage Grove for a month or so when we retire in May of next year and hit the road.

So MrsFed and I got out to do a little Christmas shopping for others... I wore my blue cashmere blazer and a shirt with blues, lavender-gray and similar stripes. You'll notice Goodwill behind us. I always like to check there for hidden treasures.

These pics show the blue to the blue-gray felt, and the silver-gray colors of the ribbons, with the navy ribbon in the background.

Here's the hat as it sits straight on my head. You can see how the front pinch is off to the left (my right). Nice, deep side dents that I really like.

i-mPgThRQ-XL.jpg

And here's how I think this one was born to be worn, cocked to the side like a Bogey doppleganger:

i-sWkLKKw-XL.jpg

Center crease:

i-RLFkB68-XL.jpg

Back shot:

i-xz9B922-XL.jpg

And the bow, with silver-grey to match the ribbon, navy for more contrast, and a lighter shade of silver-gray coming to a "v" highlight:

i-VJdptTd-XL.jpg
The bash on this hat is truly unique! It gives it some real character. I absolutely LOVE that ribbon detail! And you have the honor of being my 1000th Post!!

]

You ever consider maybe the hat's OK and you're off-center?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

bendingoak

Vendor
I love how you a discover a hat as time goes by. At least for me, it's just too much to take in everything all at once. I sent John a text yesterday just letting him know I was available if he needed anything from me... I was off work and, ah-hem, could even drive over and pick up my hat if it was ready, wink, wink... Well, John sent me 2 texts.... almost... and then the pics you see above.

MrsFed and I were busy getting snow tires put on our little cars (little cars = more hats, right?). Mine was done by 10 am. MrsFed was working until 1:30 pm, so when she came home we took her car to the shop and piled in my 210,000 miles old Hyundai Elantra and headed to Hillsboro, about 40 minutes away. I sent John a text letting him know I was Hillsboro-bound and a few minutes later he let me know he was in the shop.

We arrived and John was busy hand stitching the sweat (?) into another new custom Penman. I introduced MrsFed to John, who is a very gracious gentleman, and he ushered us into the back work area.... and there it was. I just stared, taking in the whole experience. John took the hat out of the Penman hatbox and handed the fedora to me. Wow! I was first struck by the feel of the felt. I held it out to Sandra (MrsFed), and said, "feel that." Another "wow."

John had to turn the hat for me to show Sandra the bow. Fantastic. I must say, I felt as though everything was in slow motion for me. I was busy taking in everything and my physical movements were like cold oatmeal on a Saturday morning. I put the hat on and John pointed out a mirror for me (because I couldn't remember where it was, even though I've been to the shop several times). Excellent. I love this hat!

I must have thanked John a dozen times and it didn't seem like enough. I wanted to stay longer but John had hats to finish and we needed to get back to the shop to get Sandra's car...

So, something I guess I noticed at the shop, but didn't come to a full realization of until we (1) left to get Sandra's car, and (2) arrived back home, is that the center crease is just a bit asymmetrical. When I put the hat on, lining up the rear stitching and bow of the sweatband, the front pinch is not in the middle of my forehead.

Now, 5 months ago this would have bugged me... but now I just feel the special character of this hat. Isn't it something how we evolve in our tastes and preferences? Like me... in a Homburg? Never! But now I have one, and love it. Well, here's my thinking on this Penman handmade hat. I've shown my wife, and daughter, how to put a hat on. You line it up, set the front over your eyebrow, then ease the hat back onto your head.... then (and this is the important part), "bink," you tilt the hat to the side for "Attitude."

This hat is made for attitude. The felt, the contrasting ribbon, bow and highlight-driven knot, and even the crease are screaming "Attitude!" This hat literally begs to be worn cocked to the side, and I really am loving it.

So that was real long-winded, but it's come to me as a kind of epiphany of sorts. Thanks for hanging on through the long and meandering tale. But I'm still pumped with excitement over this, my first Penman hat, and final hat for the year. Merry Christmas to me, and to all of you who have helped me learn so much over the last several months.

Jimmy Mak's is a long time jazz club in Portland. This hat begs to be worn there before they close their doors on January 1, 2017. I need to make that happen. In the mean time, I will certainly wear this to church tomorrow!

Thanks, John, for such a spectacular hat. I know I changed my mind a dozen times along the way, from Raiders, to Leverage/Kane, to Eno and then to full custom, but you were patient in hearing me and putting it all together in this beautiful execution of felt, ribbon, talent and art. Thank you, muchas gracias, malo aupito, fakaaue lahi, und danke schön.

It was a real pleasure to have you at the shop along with you lovely wife. I'm glad you like the hat and my work, it was my pleasure to work with you on it. Feel free to drop by anytime.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I picked up my Everyman hat from Penman Hat Company last Friday, and it's the only hat that's been on my head since. It's the production hat John had done in a wonderful Granite colored felt of 50/50 rabbit/beaver. The felt is not merely a basic grey, but has undertones of dark charcoal, subdued blues, as well as grey. I got in on the offered presale with a $50 discount.

It was due in November but John had some problems with the factory with felt samples and the company's loss of all the leather sweatbands and satin liners which John had sent to them. The wait was worth it and I love the hat. John also gave us all a Penman Hat Co lapel pin for sticking with the pre-orders and our patience in waiting for the company to finish their end of things.

I feel very fortunate to live so close to such a fine hatter. It's fun to actually go to the shop, talk about all things hat related, and watch John work. It's really something to watch him make all the creases to form the open crown hat into a great diamond crease, tight front pinch and side dents and to finally come up with this great looking hat.

Of course, I wore it home! And as said above, I've worn it every day since I got it. I'll try and get more pics up of the side showing the ribbon, and the top of the crown showing the diamond crease to the crown.

Thanks again, John! :D

i-m6Mnh8R-L.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
BTW, if anyone has been looking for some of the darker Black Cherry felt I believe John has one or two in beaver there in the shop.... just sayin'. :cool:

RJR

I picked up my Everyman hat from Penman Hat Company last Friday, and it's the only hat that's been on my head since. It's the production hat John had done in a wonderful Granite colored felt of 50/50 rabbit/beaver. The felt is not merely a basic grey, but has undertones of dark charcoal, subdued blues, as well as grey. I got in on the offered presale with a $50 discount.

It was due in November but John had some problems with the factory with felt samples and the company's loss of all the leather sweatbands and satin liners which John had sent to them. The wait was worth it and I love the hat. John also gave us all a Penman Hat Co lapel pin for sticking with the pre-orders and our patience in waiting for the company to finish their end of things.

I feel very fortunate to live so close to such a fine hatter. It's fun to actually go to the shop, talk about all things hat related, and watch John work. It's really something to watch him make all the creases to form the open crown hat into a great diamond crease, tight front pinch and side dents and to finally come up with this great looking hat.

Of course, I wore it home! And as said above, I've worn it every day since I got it. I'll try and get more pics up of the side showing the ribbon, and the top of the crown showing the diamond crease to the crown.

Thanks again, John! :D

i-m6Mnh8R-L.jpg
That is a good looking hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points