Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People with more money than sense

Geesie

Practically Family
What would YOU pay for a Western Electric Model 500?
Well, if you get it on eBay, about $20-40.

But what if you wanted it painted Day-Glo Orange?
Aside from questioning your judgement, I'd say you would pay $20-40, plus a couple bucks for hobby store paint. Or Krylon.

But what if you're in Anthropologie's "professional women in their 30s and 40s who make over $200,000 a year" target demographic?

How's two hundred bucks sound?

Russell Johnson Imports lovingly restores telephones from the 50s and 60s, replacing microphones, cartridges and cables with original parts and repainting them in a vibrant retro hue.

Because, you know, fully functional vintage telephones are so very hard to find without "lovingly" restoring them.

Hand-restored in Argentina
:eusa_doh:

In general, I like to laugh at this sort of thing but sometimes I worry that it may drive prices up.
Ah heck, I'll just laugh at it. lol

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Modern tastes?

What, no camouflage patterned phones? :p
Actually the blue isn't terrible, but yes, I agree- this is another fine example of pillaging the historical market for a buck.
"shabby-chic" is a term that makes my skin crawl.
I think this is part of why I collect- to preserve and protect part of our historical beauty.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I just wish I had thought of it first. he probably gets them from Argentina where they are probably plentiful, so no worries about not preserving a questionably historic piece. Then he puts the time and effort into having them refurbished, and painted nicely. then he sells them to people willing to pay him to do so. I would gladly makee afew bucks that way. Sounds like fun.

As for the buyers, I wish I had more money than sense. Money can make your life fine without any sense. But sense doesn't make you any money necessarily.

Or, in the words of Louis Jordan, "If you're so smart, how come you ain't rich?"

mike

Call Me a Cab
Lone_Ranger said:
I thought this thread was going to be about Nick Cage, and his two islands, and dinosaur skull.

What really?! The Marvel Comics character with impenetrable skin?! He must have teamed up with Ka-zar... [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Personally, this just doesn't rise to a more money than sense level. [huh]

Maybe it's because I tend to allow for a higher price-point when dealing with recycled/restored vintage products.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Only except I don't think that's a Western Electric 500. Maybe a European model. It's fatter in the base.
If this phone were maybe twice this price, I'd call it looney. At this price I'd just say more power to him.

Geesie

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
I thought this thread was going to be about Nick Cage, and his two islands, and dinosaur skull.

If I were that rich I would totally buy a tyrannosaur skull for $276,000.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Personally, this just doesn't rise to a more money than sense level. [huh]

Maybe it's because I tend to allow for a higher price-point when dealing with recycled/restored vintage products.

Yes just look at my musical instruments.....:) ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
He probably gets them from Argentina where they are probably plentiful, ...

Bingo! Phones and land lines used to be very hard to get in South America, so people held on to their old phones forever and ever. I used to pick up great old bakelite phones --Western Electric, Ericsson-- for a song in Chilean flea markets.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lest anyone think I am just some kind of genius, I just noticed that the ad said they wre restored in Argentina, and the phone looked more like ones I have ssne in Mexico.

I think down theree they kept making certian styles with modifications while in the states designed changed a lot more. For a good example, volkswagen conntinued to make the bug into the nineties in Brazil and selling it to latin America.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
That's not even cracking the top twenty list for silly/overpriced things Anthropologie sells. For one thing, its only about twice as much money as it oughtta be, and it doesn't look half bad.

A phone I painted with Krylon, using my own skill at painting, will look pretty cruddy. That's not about what color it is.

I don't think this even enters the land of more money than sense - just more money than I have.

I want one in jadeite! (For about 75 bucks, please)

Geesie

Practically Family
Viola said:
That's not even cracking the top twenty list for silly/overpriced things Anthropologie sells.

If you know of more vintage-related stuff that's appropriate, go ahead and show us!
A phone I painted with Krylon, using my own skill at painting, will look pretty cruddy. That's not about what color it is.

A steady hand and a little practice wet-sanding and it'll be just as good.

Geesie

Practically Family
Wet sanding is using a fine grit ( >1000) sandpaper and a wet surface or a wet surface and wet paper to polish a paint coat for a smooth finish.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot