Period casual-general shops still functioning in (near) original condition?

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by JeffOYB, Oct 23, 2012.

1. JeffOYB

JeffOYB Vendor

Anyone know of stores/shops from the 20's-40's that are still functioning as intended. Maybe revived/reopened. Without much decor change. More specifically I'm thinking of the lunch counter, soda fountain, toy/candy/hardware/general ensemble. A bit of a sprawling place would be nice. : ) I find it's much easier to come across a small one-room sort of shop that's still "of a piece." I want it to still be a bit of the social hub that such places were.

Anyone familiar with Drakes Candy Shop in Ann Arbor, MI? It's gone now but was going strong until the late 80's. I'm thinking of that sort of place. But it's tolerable if it's a bit more ramshackle now, maybe even with additions, but period additions that are grandfathered in, not to current (ugly) code.

Some Drakes links:

http://michigantoday.umich.edu/story.php?id=8404

http://www.annarbor.com/news/decisions-decisions/

There's a website for vintage department stores which is very cool but this seems different.

Thanks! JP

2. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

3. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Sine's 5&10 in Quakertown, PA.
    It just celebrated its 100th anniversary and is an absolute time warp.
    [​IMG]

Needful Things in Charles Town, WV used to be a Newberry's. The lunch counter is still operational.
    [​IMG]

4. GoldenEraFan

GoldenEraFan One Too Many

The Brooklyn Farmacy. Restored about 2 years ago by a TV series on Discovery channel I think. Feels like it's still the 1910's/1920's.
    [​IMG]

5. Undertow

Best I can find is this photo I've stolen from somewhere - and it's not even an interior shot. Blast!
    [​IMG]

6. Atomic Age

Atomic Age Practically Family

MacAlpine's in Phoenix, Az opened in 1927 as a pharmacy and soda fountain. The pharmacy is gone, but the soda fountain still operates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doug

7. Undertow

Wow, these are all such fantastic shots!

8. Retro_GI_Jane

Retro_GI_Jane One of the Regulars

The more people I talk to about George's who have eaten there recently, I'm inclined to stay away. I think the cleanliness and care of how the food is prepared has gone down hill in the last several years. My chef husband is horrified by what he hears as well as he always enjoyed visiting there when he was younger. :(

9. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]
    Since 1891 they have been making candy in the same store front.

schimpffs