Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perms.

Adelaide

New in Town
MegamiOrchard said:
I am another one considering a perm - I have long (well, past shoulders) dead straight hair. Also, since I ride a pushbike to work, I am not really in a position to style my hair everyday, and I have to wash it when I get to work. So, questions for the experts:

If I wash my hair everyday (sweaty from riding my bike) is that going to 'trash' the perms?

While my hair is dark, I would love a version of Grace Kelly:
039_4117Grace-Kelly-Posters.jpg

Is it possible to achieve this subtle curl/wave with a perm?

And finally (sorry for all this) - if not the Grace Kelly, can someone post some pictures of what looks from the late 40s/early 50s are achievable for longer hair with a perm? Preferably something that can be worn tied back and down. I am willing to be a guinea pig here!

Hi MegamiOrchard,

I am in the same boat as you. I have to wash my hair everyday too. Also the very straight, fine, flyaway hair too. I have spent years just braiding it and forgetting about it. I have a hairdresser appointment this Thursday, probably the third one in my entire life. I'm going to ask her why she thought I shouldn't get a perm, something she told me when I showed her what I wanted. I'll let you know what she says, she may change her tune. I do know that the home-perm-as-a-kid things never stayed in, not even for an hour. The one 80's tight curl per did stay in but like another said those dang straight roots just grow straight back in again. I guess I survived it, but I never did it again. I remember the relief of getting the last of it cut out and having barely shoulder length hair, which is quite short for me. It felt weird.

A.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
HI ClaraB!

I recently (3 weeks ago) had a perm done at the local beauty school, and I am THRILLED with my results. I love it so much I haven't even bothered with doing vinage styles, I am just loving the body my hair has and playing with my "curls" I use that term LOOSELY. ;)

Hi Red!
I am so inspired by your story of perm success! Your perm sounds just like what I had in mind. I'd love to see pictures if you'd care to share!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Here is my "perm experiment"

ClaraB said:
Hi Red!
I am so inspired by your story of perm success! Your perm sounds just like what I had in mind. I'd love to see pictures if you'd care to share!

No problem, glad I can share with you!
Here is the link for my pictures of the practice one I did on my doll head:
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k209/rednbubba/HAIR/perm%20experiment/

Here are is my before/after/today:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k209/rednbubba/HAIR/straight2curly2wavy/

Ask whatever questions you'd like!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Red-
Thank you so much for sharing! Both you and the doll look great. I can't believe how similar your perm and the doll's perm turned out.
I do have a few questions for you.
Is there anything specific I should tell my stylist about setting my hair like this or shouldn't it be an issue for her?
Also, your hair is naturally so straight and mine, certainly in comparison to yours, is quite wavy.....well it really doesn't know what it is, it is not consistently anything. Anyway, with the difference in texture will the perm take differently?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Thanks Clara B!

The setting should NOT be an issue for her. It would be helpful to bring the diagram so she can see exactly what you are talking about.

I also don't think having wavy hair would be a problem. As far as the texture and porosity of your hair.. your stylist will have to help with that. She can choose the right type of perm (solution) for your hair. If you are unsure, I suggest getting a consultation first with your stylist.

The perm should take just fine. If you have hair that is fried, or has been through too many chemical process, you will have a problem, and super straight or virgin hair can be a problem with not taking. My first one had to be done 3 times. (I was 12.) LOL

I hope this helps, and good luck! :D

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
I have thick, heavy hair that is naturally quite straight. It simply wouldn't hold a curl at all. I did some modeling for a while and whenever stylists tried to curl it, it was "curl, shoot 20 pictures, re-curl."

So I did go in and have my hair permed. My hair is healthy but has been dyed every month for a few years. My hairstylist did a loose-ish perm that has worked out very well for me. I don't love the way the perm looks on its own (sort of beachy waves, or the loose "ramen noodle" look) but it really does help my hair hold a curl. I set my hair in foam rollers every three nights, and those curls hold like crazy, without any product at all. :D

For me, the perm has been a huge success, because it has helped me achieve the look I'm going for. I don't think you're really going to be able to get a perm and have "wash and wear" vintage hair, however.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
ScotchWhisky said:
I don't think you're really going to be able to get a perm and have "wash and wear" vintage hair, however.

I second this. After my discussion with Red in this thread about getting a perm I made an appointment and got one! I never expected to have instant vintage hair nor did I expect to have the insane curl that my perm gave me. The curls are beautiful and I almost feel bad destroying them to set my hair. I think the best part is the wonderful wave I can now set in my hair with little effort and the added perk of nice curls on days when I'm not feeling especially vintage. I have a feeling that if I worked with my new curl I could achieve a distinctively vintage look without setting it, right now that is my goal.
My perm or any traditional perm for that matter will never look "vintage" straight from the shower but it can help that stubborn hair submit to pin curls and curlers.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
After my discussion with Red in this thread about getting a perm I made an appointment and got one! I never expected to have instant vintage hair nor did I expect to have the insane curl that my perm gave me. The curls are beautiful and I almost feel bad destroying them to set my hair.
I'd love to see pictures ClaraB!

Lillemor

One Too Many
ClaraB, I'd love to see pictures too. I'm fanatic about keeping my own hair healthy and natural looking most of the time so I won't perm my hair because it won't look right in the context of all the historical periods I'm fascinated by and try to encorporate into my personal style but I'm really happy to see that other people are embracing perms again. I just hope the wider public will stop reacting to perms as if it's a taboo.

Knowing me though.....never say never. My hair "life" has taught me that much.:D

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
I made an appointment and got one! I never expected to have instant vintage hair nor did I expect to have the insane curl that my perm gave me. The curls are beautiful and I almost feel bad destroying them to set my hair. I think the best part is the wonderful wave I can now set in my hair with little effort and the added perk of nice curls on days when I'm not feeling especially vintage. I have a feeling that if I worked with my new curl I could achieve a distinctively vintage look without setting it, right now that is my goal.
My perm or any traditional perm for that matter will never look "vintage" straight from the shower but it can help that stubborn hair submit to pin curls and curlers.

Clara, I'm so glad you decided to get one and it came out so nice!

I couldn't agree with you more on all the points you made.

Right now, I've been having fun playing with the wave I have now and the fact that I don't have to set my hair or curl with irons to have any movement or volume. I can wash in the morning, spray with some spray gel and I use a diffuser a bit so I don't go out with wet cold hair, but I love playing with it now. And with the holidays coming up, I am finally excited again to play with waving and setting my hair again. :D I'm so happy it worked out for you.:D

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:
I just hope the wider public will stop reacting to perms as if it's a taboo.
Really? I've not experienced this! Granted I stopped following hair trends with the advent of the flat iron lol but I just always assumed that perms in the traditional sense (think the 80's) were just considered outdated not a forbidden fashion faux pas.

Audrey Horne I'll be sure to snap some pictures and post them here soon!

And Red, thank you so much for your advice on this issue! I have to say that this perm was one of my best hair experiences ever. My stylist knew just what I was talking about in terms of setting and she, as well as other stylists in the salon that night, knew exactly what look I was going for and why I was getting a perm. I must say it was a strange experience to sit in a salon full of women who were getting their hair straightened while I was doing just the opposite, permanently! Of course I've always been one to go against the grain! Thanks again Red! :)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'm so glad theres a thread about this!!! I've been contemplating getting a Digital Perm for a while...and am terrified to!!! I don't do much with my hair, my first decision of what to do with my hair, was let it grow.After that it's been either grown out or shoulder length layers my entire life. This summer I got it cut from below my shoulders to about 1/2 inch above in a weird layered bob thing, that was n where near what I wanted it, but still ok. I've always had bad experiences with hairstylists and am scared to death to let anyone touch my hair. So now I've fallen in love with this type of Perm:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/foongbeng/DSC00302-edit_edited.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Rainie123/Picture11.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5338/dsc026527095od1.jpg

And really want to get it, but my hair is short:
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/me for editing/TheGals126.jpg

does anyone know if it will work??

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn I love the look of that perm, especially that last picture. Such soft gentle curls, it looks so natural! I think it'd look lovely on you!

For all those that previously inquired: here, finally, is a picture of my perm. I attempted some semblance of a vintage style but I admit it is a bit of a mess, I am still adjusting to the new texture.
IMG_2272-2.jpg

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:
It's lovely. Is this without any curling or setting?
Yes it is, but it doesn't happen without a bit of work. My hair would curl to the roots if I let the perm do what it wanted to. I find if I get at it with a comb and setting lotion when it is very wet I can pull the top flat and push my usual wave in the front although I usually seem to end up with little kinks towards the back. After I sit under the dryer for a bit I treat the results like pin curls and brush and brush into bigger curls, sometimes unsuccessfully. I owe the entire success of the curl to VO5 conditioning hairdressing, that stuff transforms my frizz!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
ClaraB said:
Yes it is, but it doesn't happen without a bit of work. My hair would curl to the roots if I let the perm do what it wanted to. I find if I get at it with a comb and setting lotion when it is very wet I can pull the top flat and push my usual wave in the front although I usually seem to end up with little kinks towards the back. After I sit under the dryer for a bit I treat the results like pin curls and brush and brush into bigger curls, sometimes unsuccessfully. I owe the entire success of the curl to VO5 conditioning hairdressing, that stuff transforms my frizz!

What size rods did your styist use? I want a perm so bad, but I'm terrified of getting poodle hair!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:
What size rods did your styist use? I want a perm so bad, but I'm terrified of getting poodle hair!

My stylist used purple rods, they were "body rods", the biggest she had.
Let me warn you that when I left the salon I did have poodle hair, or more accurately big red clown hair! I wish I had taken a picture, it was quite comical. From what I can figure a moist perm is a happy perm, conditioner certainly helped tame the poodle.

Look at Red's post up the page a bit (or on the next page), she successfully achieved a beautiful wave with a perm. Nothing poodle about it!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Clara, your hair is beautiful!!! I love that it stays curly for you. and you can tame it down and wave it nicely in the front and on top, while leaving the curls nice at the bottom.

I've been tempted to do mine again, but with a smaller rod. I think if I do it again, I will use peach instead of orange (one size down) and all around the neckline. (two sizes down) The top half layers of my hair just won't hold the wave unless I use a spray gel, or mousse, which tens to get crispy. not so nice when the end of your curl pokes you in the eye!lol

I have been too lazy to play with vintage styles still, although I was playing with my hair the other day as I was letting it air dry and my oh my was it easy to roll up into pin curls! I need to practice though, I have a dance to go to in a couple of weeks! :D I just LOVE the way your hair came out and what you do with it. nice job!:eusa_clap

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Caity Lynn I haven't heard of digital perms, but I love the look of that last picture. My hair looks similar to the first two pictures, except not so straight on the top. And I have much more hair than the girl in the pic. So my hair looks wavy like that, but fuller.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
All this talk about perm is making me re-think the perm again.. I had tried it once.. and well i dont know what happened.. LOL

and I really need some help with the curl hold.. problem is.. I have LONG hair.. and its soo expensive to get my hair done.. **sigh** WHat to do... :(

Clara B!! you picture is Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner