Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perms.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I have finally made the decision to have my hair 'waved', so it is timely this thread has been revived.

The talk about the size of the rods will help me explain to the hairdresser although I suspect the colours of the rods might be completely different here in the UK. When I talked to her about it ages ago she 'got' what I was talking about and made some sugestions that made sense to me. I think the fact that she is an older hairdresser who understands perms has given me alot more confidence to have it done.

Hope it comes out ok!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Good Luck Ladies!:D

Lela, Try looking for a beauty/cosmetology school. It is much cheaper, and they have teachers/instructors there to help make sure it comes out nicely/uniform, etc. And you can be sure that these girls have wrapped MANY perms in the back room before they go out on the floor. And they wrap MANY more while on the floor, it is part of the curriculum.

as for me, I'll show a pic of my hair down and then when I pin it up. Mind you this is just easy peasy, cheating methods, no setting.. just pinning it under. ;)

I liked it and I am planning a set soon.

DSC02513-1.jpg

DSC02517-1.jpg

DSC02518-1.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
RED! I love your pics!! You lucky duck!!

Hmm... I did think about the beauty school thing.. and i become frightened.. well cause when I attended beauty school.. I saw so many perms go Wrong
:(

I think what I will do is call to see if my old teacher is still there and see if she can work her magin and can fit me in as a Demo... then .. its almost free :)

Ohh.. how I need the courage for a perm!! But I want it sooo bad!:eusa_doh: ;)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
You ladies are getting so influential on me!
I am completely obsessed with getting a perm now:)

ClaraB your hair is amazing! I never thought a perm could look so natural and lovely. Now, if only I could ship you here to be my hair model for my stylist...

Thanks for all the inspiration and information, Ladies!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I gave into the perm on Sunday.. and it sure did give me WAVE... not so much curl.. which I knew cause my hair is resistant..:rage: :rage:

I havent been able to stick some hot rollers in my hair to see how they will hold.. cause normally... they dont at all.. Crossing my FINGERS! ;) :rolleyes:

Odalisque

A-List Customer
LelaViavonie said:
I gave into the perm on Sunday.. and it sure did give me WAVE... not so much curl.. which I knew cause my hair is resistant..:rage: :rage:

I havent been able to stick some hot rollers in my hair to see how they will hold.. cause normally... they dont at all.. Crossing my FINGERS! ;) :rolleyes:

You should definitely post pictures. my hair is also super resistant and I been toying around with the idea of a perm. I'd love to get some visual of how it might turn out.

Tatum

Practically Family
I decided to have a wave put in mine, as it is so inconsistent (curly in the back, straight in the front) and I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time to set it this month. Goodness, I love it. Before, when I just took off out of the shower without doing anything, it looked awful (my hair and a middy cut look like the '70s for some reason). Now, it looks cute, and I can pull off a vintage 'do on the fly because it holds the curl so well. The other night I had an hour to get ready for a party that the hubby forgot to tell me about, and my hair stayed perfect all night after just a little Lotta, some velcro rollers and my bonnet dryer while I put my makeup on!

An aside: my hairstylist is starting to experiment with me, I guess I've gotten her all enthusiastic about the vintage look. Shall I let her perm a set into it and see how it goes? :D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Tatum, not sure what you mean by asking the hairdresser to 'perm a set' into your hair.

A perm needs to be done on perming rods. You can't use regular rollers like you'd use for a wet set. If you used rods that big the perm would just drop right out!

On another note, I had my 'wave' done and I'm pleased with it. I asked to have it done on the largest rods and it has a really good wave through it. I think next time I might go one size smaller all over to make it slightly curlier.

I haven't set it yet but I pincurled it damp last night and it has held pretty well without any setting lotion.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
ooh... pictures?
I had a perm years ago and it fell out within a week :( I guess no perms for me. Would make vintage hairstyles so much easier.

Tatum

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
Tatum, not sure what you mean by asking the hairdresser to 'perm a set' into your hair.

A perm needs to be done on perming rods. You can't use regular rollers like you'd use for a wet set. If you used rods that big the perm would just drop right out!

On another note, I had my 'wave' done and I'm pleased with it. I asked to have it done on the largest rods and it has a really good wave through it. I think next time I might go one size smaller all over to make it slightly curlier.

I haven't set it yet but I pincurled it damp last night and it has held pretty well without any setting lotion.

Miss Sis, perm as opposed to wave and put the rods where I would normally put them were I using rollers!

I'm glad you are happy with your wave!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I asked the hairdresser about how she would place the rods as I didn't want any body right at the top and she did it the same way as I normally set my hair - I have a side parting - so the sides were done horizontally to my parting and the back straight back from the crown.

How the hairdresser does it will depend on the outcome you are looking for. I was after body to hold a 30s style. If you are going for a different era it might be done differently.

Tatum

Practically Family
I had her put the rods where I normally would, but she wanted to go with bigger rods so it wouldn't be "so curly" in case I hated it. I have always felt that there is no such thing as too curly, but that is just me. As it is, I am happy with it, but I would love to take it a step further.

And, of course, the three spots on my head that aren't curly already/don't hold the curl well are the straightest.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
LelaViavonie said:

How did it turn out? I'd love to see pics! Did you end up going with a beauty school?

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I'M GOIN' IN, BOYS! (GALS)

Well, I'm going to take the plunge and am going in today (if my preferred stylist is in) to get a body wave. My hair is 2-3 inches past my shoulders so I hope it all works out. Memorizing my lines...body wave not perm, largest rods possible, looking for loose waves..OK GO!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Audrey Horne said:
How did it turn out? I'd love to see pics! Did you end up going with a beauty school?

I actually had my stepmothers sister do my hair .. she has her salon in LA.. and I trust her with my hair so I went for it.. Well.. since my last post it has kept the wave and if I use a diffuser it looks nice and full but of course my waves done last and the next morning I have some straight parts and some still wavy.

I am in deperate need of a hair cut and I think that may be why my waves dont stay in so tonight is the night..cutting 1 1/2 inches off to get all the yucky stuff off.. then we shall see.. I think my hair needs to be able to breathe! LOL

I havent been able to post pictures cause I have recently started school and well.. im always doing homework.. LOL I will post pics soon i promise! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner