Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Libraries

carter

I'll Lock Up
library.jpg

Not only do I like the library, Brian, I especially like the big comfy chair and the big fella (is that a fella?) lying on the rug! :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
That is so great that you dressed as Ozma--any pictures?

Actually there are, and they're pretty cute, but alas, they are in a box in the back of Mom's closet, so I won't be posting them any time soon. :(

And thanks for the information on Books of Wonder! :)

zaika

One Too Many
i'm surprised that while moving pictures and radio have their own special rooms...books don't. they're kind of lumped here and there. didn't people read in the golden era? [huh]
where is the most suitable place to post discussions about books? in the OB? the Golden Era room? there should be a room just for book worms...we can call it...*ominous music* 'The Library.' :p
i've been starting out on this journey to read more (because i'm suffering from brain rot)...and i have this fabulous book published in 1946 called "Have You Read 100 Great Books?" in it there are dozens of lists put together by academics, authors, university literature departments. i'm following one of the lists of 100 great English novels, starting with Dickens' "Pickwick Papers." i'll be starting the book this weekend as my friend sabotaged my plans this week by lending me "Gone to Soldiers" by Marge Piercy. i can't put the darn thing down.
maybe i should start a new thread?? *sigh*

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Joie DeVive said:
Actually there are, and they're pretty cute, but alas, they are in a box in the back of Mom's closet, so I won't be posting them any time soon. :(

And thanks for the information on Books of Wonder! :)

(snaps fingers ruefully) Shoot! But I'm not surprised, the back of Mom's closet is where all of my old Halloween pictures are too. I was going to start a thread on Halloween costumes of Loungers as kids but I have nothing to contribute so it seems a bit cheezy. Maybe I still will though, closer to the holiday.

Glad the info on Books of Wonder was helpful. I'm going to NYC next week and I'm going to try and stick my head in there--I'll take a couple snaps if they'll let me. It's a cool store.

LizzieMaine said:
Anyone here use LibraryThing to catalog their books? A while back someone tried to get a group of Loungers going there, but I haven't heard anything more about it lately.

At any rate, here is my LibraryThing link --
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/lizziemaine

Post yours if you've got one!

Thanks for recommending librarything.com. I came across it while going through the archives as it were and signed up. So far here's my personal library. It's largely military history and aviation but it's got a few other things as well:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/victorbrunswick

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh books! I love them. I have mainly Art-, Children- and Design Books so I can't always choose between hardcover an softcover.
I had a bookbinding course at the university. But it takes time and patience to make a hardcover for one single book... I colund't do it for the whole library

Feraud

Bartender
A Salute to the Bookmark!

LizzieMaine said:
What I do, though, is to use anything at hand as a bookmark -- and then forget that it's there. Some of the oddities that I've come across when pulling random volumes off the shelf include light bills, emery boards, playing cards, fabric scraps, hairpins, ticket stubs, film leader trimmings, and a McDonald's french fry bag.

Another one here who uses anything at hand as a bookmark.
Receipts, to-do lists, movie stubs, torn out newspaper articles, those feathers they stick in fedoras, etc.

My wife and I maintain individual libraries at home. She is the fiction gal and I the non-fiction guy. Over the years our catalogs have evolved based on the need for space and interest.
I am happy to say we both still have healthy bookshelves.

It is good to know there are still people out there who browse bookstores and get excited over the inscribed flyleaves. We've tried to instill a love of reading and learning in our son.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I have way too many books, despite mercilessly weeding them out. At last count still well over 1000 in my house.

Now I try to only buy for my Kindle. And keep weeding the bookshelves.

ClassicMan1966

New in Town
I'm building up a collection of James Bond and Tarzan books. Most are in paperback, but I do have a few in hardcover. Have all of the Ian Fleming novels except for Goldfinger, Dr. No, and Thunderball. Almost halfway done on my Tarzan collection.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
To reply to the original question posed by someone I believe doesn't even post here anymore, I too prefer hardcover, first editions where possible, and use book store sales and seconds bins, ebay, kijiji, and so on, to get hardcovers of volumes I bought originally in paperback.

Another good way to give books surplus to requirements a good home (in addition to hospital and goodwill-type donations) is the "give it away and track it around the world" option of www.bookcrossing.com:

You can "release" your books and (hopefully!) keep track of where they end up!

WH1

Practically Family
This was my project for the last 2 weekends. I built it out of 3/4" oak plywood with solid oak trim and shelves. It measures 72" wide x 12" deep x 84" tall. I had been wanting to put one in my office for several years so I was very pleased with the result.
NewBookcase010.jpg

The Zenith console is a 1940 model 8S563 I was fortunate to get recently and the lamp is an original that I cleaned up and rewired after getting it at an auction for $3.

NewBookcase012.jpg

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Because my bookshelves are in the living room on a prominent wall, I prefer hardcovers and have been slowly converting my library over to them. The only exceptions are books that are not available in hardcover (which are kept in a small bookshelf in the hall), or "traveling" books I read and give away quickly.

As a renter, I too am a fan of Ikea Billy bookcases, because they're durable and are available in so many sizes and configurations. I've left them plain but have seen people do amazing things with them by adding molding. If I owned the place I'd probably do this too.

A favorite flyleaf inscription in my library is in a 1936 copy of Gone With the Wind There was something sweet about it that made me buy the book: "To our good friend Shep From Therese. December 25- 1936."

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
I LOVE books! When I lived nearer to London I spent days and days in the hidden away 2nd hand book stores (in between visits to conveniently placed pubs).

All my books are factual: Clothing History, General History, Design of all kind, Music, Referrence ... etc etc ...

Only exception: graphic novels (which I do love) and also comics.

Most of my books are hardbacks (due to age) but it can be rather painful when falling asleep on your back while reading: as soon as one nods off: 'bang' :eek: It wakes me up every time :eusa_doh:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Dexter'sDame said:
As a renter, I too am a fan of Ikea Billy bookcases, because they're durable and are available in so many sizes and configurations. I've left them plain but have seen people do amazing things with them by adding molding. If I owned the place I'd probably do this too.

apparently a few years Ikea took the Billy of their list. There were so many complaints that they had to put it back on again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points