Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Libraries

zaika

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
What I do, though, is to use anything at hand as a bookmark -- and then forget that it's there. Some of the oddities that I've come across when pulling random volumes off the shelf include light bills, emery boards, playing cards, fabric scraps, hairpins, ticket stubs, film leader trimmings, and a McDonald's french fry bag.

HA! i do the same things.

DId wind up with books on some subjects that weren't of interest to me any more and took them to a used book store. They selected a couple and then told me the Covina Library took in books. I brought the rest there. The guy said I could leave them with him and the library would look them over, if in good condition and relative they may go on the self, if not they were placed in with their booksale fund raising books.

Seemed better than a thirft store end,

Starius

Practically Family
When reading new books, I usually use the sales receipt as a bookmark.
For older books, I use old lottery tickets. They may not always pay off, but I'm going to get my money's worth out of them!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
DId wind up with books on some subjects that weren't of interest to me any more and took them to a used book store. They selected a couple and then told me the Covina Library took in books. I brought the rest there. The guy said I could leave them with him and the library would look them over, if in good condition and relative they may go on the shelf, if not they were placed in with their booksale fund raising books.

Seemed better than a thirft store end,
Good for you, John. Some of the best books I process for my branch library's collection came from donations. Sometimes the lazy librarians just stick all donations in the book sale but I fish out the gems that should be made available to borrow by our patrons instead of sold for a quarter. :eek:

Twitch

A word of warning to anyone needing to store books or magazine collections for an extended period- make sure you bug proof them. Termites will go for paper over wood!:eusa_doh:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Library confessions

Harp said:
...so I gave my books away to the Chicago Public Library
(where my bar tab had been unsettled, and the statute of limitations hadn't
kicked in yet), and they yanked my library card!:eek: But they took all my
books. But now I have my library card back, :eusa_clap And I've just bought
a book on 16th C Metaphysical Poets...and the cycle begins. :eek:

Oh, library fines! The bane of my existence. I'm constantly late getting my books back and have been since I got my first card. In college, to avoid the fines, I'd just take books and return them without checking them out. The year I graduated they put in a security system at the library; I feel directly responsible.

I've applied for a job through the Boston Public Library and one of the benefits is a special employee card with no fines. I'm more excited about the possibility of that than the vacation or health care benefits!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
What I do, though, is to use anything at hand as a bookmark -- ...a McDonald's french fry bag.

There's a childhood memory, they haven't used bags in years, have they? I never use bookmarks, somehow I always remember what page I left off.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I generally use paper for bookmarks; except, of course, a couple metal ones I've purchased - one of which I haven't seen in months.

I often use old photos that I took years ago. I even made a bookmark, once, from a 35mm contact strip of my favorite model and good friend, Cari.

Sometimes, I'll find a bok I haven't picked up in a while and find a bookmark in it. That's my clue I hadn't finished it. In such a case, I'll go back to the beginning of the chapter it's in and finish the book.

Lee

AlanC

For bookmarks I use either a paper one from whatever bookstore happened to stick one in my books or very often I use airline ticket stubs, which are a very good size for a bookmark.

Please don't anyone use paperclips. I don't know how many old rusty paperclips I've taken off of of bent stained pages. :eusa_doh:

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
My bookmarks used to be series of bus passes, movie tickets or subway tickets. These days, in the post-WhoFramedRogerRabbit LA, I usually settle for receipts (unless I am lucky enough to still have the bookstore's personalized novelty bookmark).

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Paperback for fiction, hardcover for reference. If I wear out a novel, it means I need to get the hardback edition. I'm pretty gentle with my books, though, so this doesn't happen too often. The only novel I remember completely wearing out is Watership Down, which spent a lot of time in my backpack as a schoolboy.

Cookbooks should be hardcover, and should never actually enter the kitchen. When I use a recipe I photocopy or transcribe it.

S

Samsa

Viola said:
I just memorize the chapter break or page number, no bookmarks for me.

I do the same thing, but invariably forget which page/chapter I left at. One would think that after years of doing this I would start using a bookmark, but no.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Feng_Li said:
Cookbooks should be hardcover, and should never actually enter the kitchen. When I use a recipe I photocopy or transcribe it.

Lordee you take well care of those cookbooks lol one could be able to make a soup out of mine, that's how bad it is!

Concerning personal libraries, I have AND keep both; paperbacks and hardcovers. My books come mainly from second hand shops, also there are some titles very difficult to obtain that i've only been able to get in paperback form. I wouldn't get rid of them for the world.
And really,at the end of the day, a book is a book is a book. ;)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Well, I've been known to use a cookbook for bedside reading, so I'm a little more motivated to keep them clean...:eek:

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
I just memorize the chapter break or page number, no bookmarks for me.

I can do that, but only because I usually read a full chapter before putting a book down. But at about chapter six or seven I begin to lose my place, so I get a bookmark.

Lee

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Book plates?

Anybody use bookplates? Quite a number of the books I inherited from my mother have various bookplates in them that she got here and there, plus I have a few other interesting ones. I'll post a few some time. I think our own Lady Day could create great book plates.
I found a number of good links on the the topic, but this one seems particularly cool. Page takes a LONG time to load, but it's worth it.
http://bookplatejunkie.blogspot.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana