Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

Knotten

Practically Family
Stetsonian after a rainy walk from the train to the office.

b14f360d89cb10d7685ae8ae7ab4b81c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another day, another shower. Convinced myself I didn't need an umbrella...glad I had the hat on.
I don't know why your post triggered this train of thought in my abnormal brain, but I can't recall ever using an umbrella unless my wife was with me and brought one of hers. On my own I'd either wear a "wet weather" jacket with some sort of hood to keep my head dry, or I'd just get wet. But after I became a dedicated hat wearer 10 years ago, I realized I rather enjoy wearing my hats in the rain and came to appreciate their versatility.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I don't know why your post triggered this train of thought in my abnormal brain, but I can't recall ever using an umbrella unless my wife was with me and brought one of hers. On my own I'd either wear a "wet weather" jacket with some sort of hood to keep my head dry, or I'd just get wet. But after I became a dedicated hat wearer 10 years ago, I realized I rather enjoy wearing my hats in the rain and came to appreciate their versatility.
Wait, umbrellas can keep rain off of you as well? Here I just thought they were flamboyant walking sticks.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Indeed. I've always believed that men's hats were to protect your head, and some just look nice as an added benefit. If they were only for looks, we would wear them inside like ladies do! ;)

Indeed. I've always believed that men's hats were to protect your head, and some just look nice as an added benefit. If they were only for looks, we would wear them inside like ladies do! ;)
I do think a lot of men these days wear their hats primarily as a "fashion" item, i.e. for looks. Some members here even have "dress" hats that they reserve for special occasions, "daily" hats, and "rain/snow" hats they wear specifically to protect their heads from inclement weather. I understand that--there's no need to risk their favored vintage hats getting damaged by daily wear and/or exposure to rain or snow or whatever else our atmosphere throws at us, when a newer, less expensive, and easier to replace hat will do the job just as well.

At this point in my life I have no need for a "dress" hat, so I wear my hats very casually and use them to protect my skin from sun damage and to keep my head dry when it rains. They serve those purposes well, they just happen to look good (or so I think, anyway) while they're at it. :cool:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to work in law offices and wear a nice suit and tie to work. I always had an umbrella back then. One day I braved pouring rain to trek up to the courthouse law library to snag some research for a partner. When I went to leave, I saw that an attorney or law clerk (the only others in the library at the time) had "borrowed" my umbrella.

I returned to the office, soaked clear through my finest wool suit. Man, was I mad.... to be ripped off by an attorney, no less. After that, if the weather looked bad I'd wear an over coat and a wool "fedora" shaped hat and keep a close eye on them, especially if there were attorneys around during inclement weather!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I do think a lot of men these days wear their hats primarily as a "fashion" item, i.e. for looks. Some members here even have "dress" hats that they reserve for special occasions, "daily" hats, and "rain/snow" hats they wear specifically to protect their heads from inclement weather. I understand that--there's no need to risk their favored vintage hats getting damaged by daily wear and/or exposure to rain or snow or whatever else our atmosphere throws at us, when a newer, less expensive, and easier to replace hat will do the job just as well.

Agreed, I'm didn't mean to imply that "fashion" wasn't a good reason to wear a hat if that's what the wearer is after, and I apologize if anyone takes offense at my response. That was just my twisted attempt at humor. As is being discussed elsewhere on the Lounge, everyone has their own reasons for wearing whatever kind of hat they choose; who am I to critique their tastes or needs? I wear what I like, too, not to be "in anyone's face" or to make any real statement but just because it's what I like. I do try to be conscientious about my hat manners (taking the hat off inside or while eating) so as not to cause offense to anyone else, but I wonder how many folks other than us older or country folks even pay much attention to the old rules anymore.

I do still like to see hats being worn to protect their wearers from weather or sun.

Take care, sir!
Regan

Rain! We got rain! Actual rain! In southern California! Okay, maybe that's not such a big deal to some of you, but we haven't had any real rain here in a LONG time.

Z2vVcnD.jpg

My Taupe Fawn Campdraft after a few minutes outdoors. Not a hard rain, obviously, but it was accompanied by lightning and thunder. Sadly, if the weather monkeys are even close to being correct it'll only last until mid-afternoon tomorrow, and by Monday the temps will be back in the 80s (°F) for at least the next two weeks. :(

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Well shoot, I don't know why that would be happening. I struggle with technology sometimes (okay, often!). Here are the links directly to each photo on the photo hosting site; inconvenient, I know, but can you see them this way if you click on the link?

http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55451/

http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55452/

I can see all the photos. Strange.

Your Phoenix looks great. I’ll get a Trekker of my own someday. That leather band looks better every time I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rain! We got rain! Actual rain! In southern California! Okay, maybe that's not such a big deal to some of you, but we haven't had any real rain here in a LONG time.

Z2vVcnD.jpg

My Taupe Fawn Campdraft after a few minutes outdoors. Not a hard rain, obviously, but it was accompanied by lightning and thunder. Sadly, if the weather monkeys are even close to being correct it'll only last until mid-afternoon tomorrow, and by Monday the temps will be back in the 80s (°F) for at least the next two weeks. :(

What is this “rain” of which you speak? I recall some murky historical reference to it but surely it wasn’t from California.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I can see all the photos. Strange.

Your Phoenix looks great. I’ll get a Trekker of my own someday. That leather band looks better every time I see it.

Sure wish I could send some of this falling weather out to you folks in California! As bad as all the recent rains and flooding have been, and now all the ice damage, it still doesn't compare to the complete devastation of a large wildfire.

Sure wish I could send some of this falling weather out to you folks in California! As bad as all the recent rains and flooding have been, and now all the ice damage, it still doesn't compare to the complete devastation of a large wildfire.

We’d take it. Hard to believe it’s the middle of November and our fire season is still going full speed.

What is this “rain” of which you speak? I recall some murky historical reference to it but surely it wasn’t from California.
That was a month ago, but as best I can remember it was just the edge of one of the hurricanes that drenched Mexico on it's way north to Arizona. We were supposed to get a little rain here early next week and on Thanksgiving, but earlier I noticed the weather monkeys have pushed it to the end of the week instead. Almost every time they do that it dissipates to a non-event, so I'll be surprised if we see any rain at all before...uhh...I don't know...January? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto