Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
Stunning repro jacket by The Few, currently on Yahoo JP

i-img900x1200-16804349847ey2i7224621.jpg

i-img900x1200-16804349737nugkc217115.jpg

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
Kadoya makes good riding gear :D
I'm not a rider but I love their jackets! I have an olive cafe racer of theirs and I've got a second-hand blue crosszip that I'm expecting to receive next week - the numbers look good so I'm really hoping it fits well :)

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not a rider but I love their jackets! I have an olive cafe racer of theirs and I've got a second-hand blue crosszip that I'm expecting to receive next week - the numbers look good so I'm really hoping it fits well :)

I don't have a jacket from them yet, I think I will go take a look again next time I am in Tokyo. But I have a pait of boots that is really well made

Aloysius

One of Roberta Bayley’s 1976 Ramones photos. I can’t find a higher quality photo so I might ask her about it.
2A1026DC-96BE-497C-A757-84764986AA32.jpeg

Johnny is still the only one in a Perfecto at this point, but what’s interesting is that Dee Dee is in some kind of D-pocket! Never seen this before.

Are there any tells as to which jacket this is?

I’ve never thought D-pockets had the cool factor of a Perfecto but this could change that. (And while we’re at it *flame helmet on* Durables look like a distorted off-brand Perfecto lol.)

Last edited:

Aloysius

Another Ramones post, since I just got the album that released yesterday (Pleasant Dreams before the overproduction). I noticed that the record sleeve had a great shot by Michael Somoroff, with a great view of their jackets. Unfortunately it looks very washed out when I scan it; the actual record sleeve has much richer tones and a darker cast.

Pleasant_Dreams_Raw.jpeg

This would be early 1981. Johnny is still in his original (pre Ramones) Perfecto, Marky is in a Lewis that seems to be a cross between a Monza with a shirt collar(@Edward you'd probably know what this is), Joey is in a Perfecto rather than the Lightning or Bronx he'd been wearing in the late 70s but it's not the removable belt CHP type model he was seen in later in the 80s, Dee Dee seems to also be in his first Perfecto. (You can tell by the epaulette zips and the mitered buckle. The jackets they'd get later to help with stage rotations were the 418, a cheaper version of the 618, and being 80s models they no longer had the mitered buckle. 418s would be worn by everyone except, as far as I know, Joey–possibly because by that later point he'd discovered Vanson and was ordering jackets long enough for his frame.)

Edward

Bartender
Another Ramones post, since I just got the album that released yesterday (Pleasant Dreams before the overproduction). I noticed that the record sleeve had a great shot by Michael Somoroff, with a great view of their jackets. Unfortunately it looks very washed out when I scan it; the actual record sleeve has much richer tones and a darker cast.

View attachment 510924

This would be early 1981. Johnny is still in his original (pre Ramones) Perfecto, Marky is in a Lewis that seems to be a cross between a Monza with a shirt collar(@Edward you'd probably know what this is), Joey is in a Perfecto rather than the Lightning or Bronx he'd been wearing in the late 70s but it's not the removable belt CHP type model he was seen in later in the 80s, Dee Dee seems to also be in his first Perfecto. (You can tell by the epaulette zips and the mitered buckle. The jackets they'd get later to help with stage rotations were the 418, a cheaper version of the 618, and being 80s models they no longer had the mitered buckle. 418s would be worn by everyone except, as far as I know, Joey–possibly because by that later point he'd discovered Vanson and was ordering jackets long enough for his frame.)

Marky's jacket is another variant on the Lightning than the original Lightning No 391. In 1977, Lewis launched two new varieties - the Star Lightning No 392 https://www.lewisleathers.com/star-lightning-no-392.html , and the Lightning no. 402. https://www.lewisleathers.com/lightning-no-402.html Both shifted the side-straps to the rear, for a cleaner look, mimicking the Monza in that respect, and predating the SuperMonza by a year. The Star Lightning also had quilted elbow and shoulder pads added, as had become fashionable for a notional level of protection on a motorcycle by that point.

As best as I can make out from this photo, Marky's wearing the 402 Lightning - probably the same jacket as he is known to have bought and worn on tour in 78/79 in the UK, and also can be seen wearing in Rock and Roll High School. It's a nice version. I'd love a Lewis eventually.... I'll probably end up going for the original 391 when comes the time. If I can ever manage a new one, I'll be looking to see if I can delete the forearm pocket.... I know this has become a brand signifier, but it was only introduced with the Twin Track Bronx in 1966, and rolled out across the range thereafter; when the Lighting was first introduced in 1958, it didn't have one. Given the choice, I'd delete that way before the logo patch (which was a later introduction as well, of course). The Lightning is definitely my favourite of all the Lewis jackets. It's Lewis' Stratocaster, the Bronx being their Telecaster.

Aloysius

It’s not the 402. If you look at his shoulders and upper arms there’s a good amount of padding. This is also worn in another photo of Marky from around the same time. (The one in which they’re wearing striped t-shirts standing on a street; I believe that one was taken a bit later.)

Edward

Bartender
It’s not the 402. If you look at his shoulders and upper arms there’s a good amount of padding. This is also worn in another photo of Marky from around the same time. (The one in which they’re wearing striped t-shirts standing on a street; I believe that one was taken a bit later.)

I thought there was at first, then I wasn't sure.... if there's padding there, then it's the Star Lightning, and must have been his second one.... maybe he bought one of each...

Aloysius

Ah! That's a clearer shot. That's no Lightning. Not sure what it is, though... If it is a Lewis, it's not one I've seen.

Got me wondering if it’s either some 80s only (non Derek revived) Lewis or if it’s from one of the many now-defunct British makers, since the details look far more British than American.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB