Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

TLW '90

Practically Family
Because I like mine so much I will share this picture posted by Marc mndt that I saved.
FA973516-9C3D-4DFC-99BB-2D445C52F600.jpeg

Hopefully he doesn't mind me borrowing his picture.
This is probably the first time I instantly fell In love with a jacket and thought I might remotely have a chance to own one, even more surprising was that I actually scored one on Ebay that day and it is one of my favorite jackets.

It really is / was one of the coolest jackets I've ever seen, and I think any company would be very wise to reproduce it.
Whether in suede or a nice full grain leather of some kind, I believe it would sell very well.

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I can't help but keep coming back to stare at pictures of this jacket. Very ideal pattern to me, the stitching around the pockets, short length, interesting back, nice graining on the hide everything about this jacket does it for me. I wonder if I could get Five Star or someone to make something similar for my size. i-img814x1200-1673525896wtjiqb16.jpg o6hv2wyiqubnt.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I can't help but keep coming back to stare at pictures of this jacket. Very ideal pattern to me, the stitching around the pockets, short length, interesting back, nice graining on the hide everything about this jacket does it for me. I wonder if I could get Five Star or someone to make something similar for my size. View attachment 480697 View attachment 480699
Wow, what a design. Simply beautiful.

Trojan right?

TLW '90

Practically Family
I can't help but keep coming back to stare at pictures of this jacket. Very ideal pattern to me, the stitching around the pockets, short length, interesting back, nice graining on the hide everything about this jacket does it for me. I wonder if I could get Five Star or someone to make something similar for my size. View attachment 480697 View attachment 480699
Some beautiful lines on that one for sure.
However this is probably going to sound crazy, but I actually don't really like cross zips and I'm especially not a fan of black leather jackets.
I've seen some old ones that weren't dyed through and they looked awesome with the top coat wearing through, but beyond that black is just too plain to my eyes.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Some beautiful lines on that one for sure.
However this is probably going to sound crazy, but I actually don't really like cross zips and I'm especially not a fan of black leather jackets.
I've seen some old ones that weren't dyed through and they looked awesome with the top coat wearing through, but beyond that black is just too plain to my eyes.
some find the light right away, some need time and tribulation in the valley of darkness to convince, but eventually everybody will accept crosszip in his life

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Then you might like the look of “Crazy Horse”.
View attachment 480779
crazyhorse is actually an oiled pullup cow/steer hide, right? i think the amount of oil in it make it harder to develop and memorize cool creases as a jacket or boots, but no doubt in time it will develop crazy character combination of scratches & healed scratches and darkening from buffing and absorbing skin oil and elements.
a satchel or crossbody-waist pack would look awesome made from it.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Then you might like the look of “Crazy Horse”.
View attachment 480779
That's definitely a nice looking leather.
I really just like any not too dark brown more than black.
If I was interested in them it would be different, but honestly all black cross zips basically look the same to me.
Sure I can notice different panel lines on the back and some other significant differences especially comparing two jackets directly, but in the end it's still just a black cross zip.

TLW '90

Practically Family
some find the light right away, some need time and tribulation in the valley of darkness to convince, but eventually everybody will accept crosszip in his life
I suppose it's possible for me to warm up to one in a brown of some kind, but black I definitely don't see happening.
My biggest complaint with my first leather jacket is that it's too dark of a brown and almost looks black, too boring in color so I added things to personalize it a bit.

I've never seen a black cross zip that I found myself wanting, but instantly fell in love with a golden brown suede trucker and wasted no time finding one available?
That I think tells a lot about what I truly like in a jacket.

This I think cognac Chromexel ( just the color ) would be my dream color of leather for a jacket I think.
20210114_114338~2.jpg

20210107_134623.jpg

I understand the iconic nature of the black cross zip and am not knocking them, they just don't do anything for me personally.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I suppose it's possible for me to warm up to one in a brown of some kind, but black I definitely don't see happening.
My biggest complaint with my first leather jacket is that it's too dark of a brown and almost looks black, too boring in color so I added things to personalize it a bit.

I've never seen a black cross zip that I found myself wanting, but instantly fell in love with a golden brown suede trucker and wasted no time finding one available?
That I think tells a lot about what I truly like in a jacket.

This I think cognac Chromexel ( just the color ) would be my dream color of leather for a jacket I think.
View attachment 480949
View attachment 480950

I understand the iconic nature of the black cross zip and am not knocking them, they just don't do anything for me personally.
i think its about the pants you combine it with, fresh black jacket looks very contrasting could be devisive when combined with medium blue jeans like that, however if you wear dark bottle green pants, or charcoal pants, or dark navy jeans, or dark olive pants, then black leather jacket or seal brown would be very natural than sandy or camel or caramel leather jacket.

I think with crosszip darker color is part of the charm, if the same crosszip design made with sandy tone then I feel part of its character is gone, its like comparing between rottweiler and golden retriever both are nice dog but just give off different vibes

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
All black x-zips look the same? We like what we like, but I would never say all brown truckers look the same. They don’t.
the thing is that there are just so many black cross zips out there that it's hard for me to see one as being truly different than another, unless it had an eye catching lining and a brown or blonde mouton collar or something it wouldn't stand out as truly different.
they don't literally all look the same and I understand the difference in cut / fit and panel lines or shapes, some certainly look better than others to me for sure but in the end all I really see is just another black cross zip.
It's probably because they just don't do anything for me, I really do tend to view them all as being essentially the same thing. If I was into them I would notice and care about the various aspects and nuances much more.

I'm not trying to knock black cross zips or anything, I guess you could say I'm just blind when it comes to them.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suggest you contact Johnson Leather San Francisco. The additional cost would buy you a better-fitting jacket equaling more wear time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko