Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of father-in-law in Texas in 1930's

Michael D

Familiar Face
Here are a couple of family photos I thought you might enjoy.

This is my father-in-law, W. Harold Hansen when he was an LDS missionary in Texas in the '30s. In both pix Harold is on the right. That girl sure seems pretty interested in him. :)

img002.jpg
img001.jpg

Mike

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
No offense meant, but missionaries today could use a little of that 1930s style!

Any of you guys here on the Lounge wear a hat on your mission?

Great pics, Mike!

Brad

Michael D

Familiar Face
Not bible salesmen, Mormon missionaries

Thanks, Brad.

Yeah, they definitely had some style even for a couple of youngsters. ;)

As to your question about wearing hats as missionaries, I know that Root took a vintage Borsalino on his mission in Canada and wore some vintage suits as well, I believe.

Now me, I just bought hats on my mission in Spain, but no fedoras, just berets and caps and a flamenco hat (Ole!).

Mike

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey Brad, I was a 30's/40's missionary! I was so vintage I even used a 1930's box camera!!!

See:
image300183zb.jpg

That's me with my first companion. He liked cowboy hats and wore it just for the picture. ;) But, I wore my fedora all winter long!

Root.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Way to go, Root! A missionary for both your faith AND vintage style!

That cowboy hat though...

Michael D, you gotta post a photo of you in the Flamenco hat! :)

Brad

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, that cowboy hat... He was from Roosevelt Utah ;) I'm sure you can understand that. :p

Any way, I was a vintage missionary! Took my hat off at all the doors we knocked on, and took it off inside. Only needed to wear a hat in the winter though, it got rather humid and hot in the summers.

Cheers,

Root

Mycroft

One Too Many
Are these Missionary guys still around, never seen them, and the samething with door to door salesmen? And Nice Pic Root!! Like the use of the vintage camera, truly makes it high quality.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wow, you have never seen Mormon missionaries? Today they ride bikes and wear dorky helmets. They also wear short sleeved white shirts and usually the most horrendous ties from the 70's! They have back packs full of Bibles and other LDS literature. They still have missionaries because I have only been home from my mission since 2003! The Church uses missionaries to spread the word of the Church and they're not really salesmen, they teach those who want to know more about the Church. That's how the church grows.

If you want to know more about the LDS faith, you can PM me more questions. I don't want to talk about religion on a public message board. ;) Some may be offended.

Hope that helps!

Root.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Wow, you have never seen Mormon missionaries? Today they ride bikes and wear dorky helmets. They also wear short sleeved white shirts and usually the most horrendous ties from the 70's! They have back packs full of Bibles and other LDS literature. They still have missionaries because I have only been home from my mission since 2003! The Church uses missionaries to spread the word of the Church and they're not really salesmen, they teach those who want to know more about the Church. That's how the church grows.

If you want to know more about the LDS faith, you can PM me more questions. I don't want to talk about religion on a public message board. ;) Some may be offended.

Hope that helps!

Root.

Thanks on the info, I really did not know about those guys. Sorry about the "Salesman" thing if I offended you, I ment in the form of John Goodman's character in O' Brother Where Art Thou.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
They also wear short sleeved white shirts and usually the most horrendous ties from the 70's!

I keep wanting to tell them there's no such thing as a short-sleeved dress shirt! And if you wear a tie, please wear a coat! :)

On a similar subject, I can never find anything I like at Mr. Mac.

Brad

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey bud, you didn't offend me in any way. Just wanted to answer your question to the best of my abilities! I find it really odd that you have never seen the Mormon missionaries riding around on bikes two by two. They also wear little black name tags that say Elder (then last name).

Hey Brad, I know, I hate the short sleeved look! So Al Bundy! You'll be happy to hear that I only bought long sleeved shirts for my mission. Any short sleeved ones I only wore on my day off. And they were of the 40's striped t-shirt kind.

Cheers,
Root

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Hey bud, you didn't offend me in any way. Just wanted to answer your question to the best of my abilities! I find it really odd that you have never seen the Mormon missionaries riding around on bikes two by two. They also wear little black name tags that say Elder (then last name).

Hey Brad, I know, I hate the short sleeved look! So Al Bundy! You'll be happy to hear that I only bought long sleeved shirts for my mission. Any short sleeved ones I only wore on my day off. And they were of the 40's striped t-shirt kind.

Cheers,
Root

Thanks for all your help, and I will watch out for the Mormon missionaries, it should be a sight to see. Thanks again, I just have a habit of saying things that people might take offensivly because of missunderstanding of my meaning in person, though. Cheers.

Michael D

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

Actually I do have a shot of me in 1974 wearing that hat in Sevilla, Spain, but its with my old mission slides. My wife is working on family history right now. Maybe I can convince her to scan that slide into the computer. :)

Mike

Phil_in_CS

Familiar Face
LDS door to door

We always make sure to get the boys some water, many are from up north and aren't coping with near 100 heat every day. My wife sold books door to door summers in college, so she has quite a bit of sympathy for people who spend their days doing cold calls in person.

What always tickles me, besides the "short sleeve dress shirts", is the name badge saying "Elder Young" or whatever. "Elder" is quite a tag for a 19 year old out trying to witness to grown ups.

Michael D

Familiar Face
Phil_in_CS said:
What always tickles me, besides the "short sleeve dress shirts", is the name badge saying "Elder Young" or whatever. "Elder" is quite a tag for a 19 year old out trying to witness to grown ups.

Phil,

Maybe you know this already but 'Elder' is a title that we Latter-Day Saints use to indicate Priesthood ordination.

An Elder is an office in our Priesthood just like Deacons, Priests, or Pastors in other churches. Elders in our church have the authority to preach, teach, baptize and bestow the Holy Ghost. To go by this title indicates that they are fully authorized by the Church to do the work of a missionary.

Hope this helps. :)

Mike

shamus

Suspended
elder is also a delicious berry that makes great jams and wine. But those guys on the bikes probably arn't that into berries that they would put it on their helmets...

Michael D

Familiar Face
You asked for it. You got it!

Brad Bowers said:

Brad

It's not quite from the Golden Era but here's a pic of me wearing the flamenco hat (which I still own). This was taken at the doorway to the place where we lived in Sevilla Spain in the summer of 1974.

Mike

flamenco_hat_sevilla.jpg

That's a polyester suit, tie and shirt. Ah the 70's!

Wild Root

Gone Home
OH, MY, GOSH! AHAHAHAHA that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s classic! My Father was a missionary in Germany about the same time I believe. His mission photos are funny too!

Great photo and would you believe that there are missionaries that will wear ties and suits like that today because it's trendy? Yeah, serious! And they thought I dressed weird. :p

Thanks for that photo!

Root. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo