Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Absolutely fabulous!! My problem would be that I would never want to use them because I'd eventually run out and I wouldn't be able to find any more and then they'd just sit in a box in the hat room and I'd keep saying that I really should use those someday, but I probably wouldn't because they're too cool and then my kids would inherit them when I die and sell them for $5.00 on ebay and I'd be rolling over in my grave and have no peace in the afterlife. Whew! I'm really glad you got those and not me.
Thanks. You might be overthinking this, Rick. I got both boxes for a song (and with my singing abilities that really is cheap) and just have them on display as a nice little tidbit of hatting history. You could always take them with you to the grave; keep you occupied sorting them out until the rapture. :)

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks. You might be overthinking this, Rick. I got both boxes for a song (and with my singing abilities that really is cheap) and just have them on display as a nice little tidbit of hatting history. You could always take them with you to the grave; keep you occupied sorting them out until the rapture. :)
Hah! Actually, if the truth be told, I'm just a little bit envious. What a cool thing to have hanging around the hat shop.

humanshoes

One Too Many
My "new" luring stove in action. I really don't know if this little beauty was made specifically as a luring stove, however, it works just fine for that particular purpose. I suppose any hotplate with a solid burner surface would do the job, but I do love the old gear.
Luring Stove.JPG

humanshoes

One Too Many
Pardon me, but what is a “luring stove”? Does it have a special purpose in hatting?
Is it simply a vintage hotplate?
Bowen
From page 8 of my thread Bowen, a very brief pictorial of the luring process. The natural oils in the fur are stripped away in the felting process and luring is a method to replace some of those oils. Best analogy I can come up with is using conditioner on your hair after you shampoo. It was also employed back in the day by most good hat shops to rejuvenate and restore old hats.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/phoenix-hat-company.93410/page-8

humanshoes

One Too Many
From page 8 of my thread Bowen, a very brief pictorial of the luring process. The natural oils in the fur are stripped away in the felting process and luring is a method to replace some of those oils. Best analogy I can come up with is using conditioner on your hair after you shampoo. It was also employed back in the day by most good hat shops to rejuvenate and restore old hats.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/phoenix-hat-company.93410/page-8
I should also add that there were stoves, both gas and electric, made specifically for the task. They were made for the hat industry as luring stoves and marketed as such. This one may or may not be one of those or it may just be an old hotplate. Still, it's cool and it works for my intended purpose.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Pardon me, but what is a “luring stove”? Does it have a special purpose in hatting?
Is it simply a vintage hotplate?
Bowen

Well, no wonder you're having trouble luring the church ladies, without a vintage luring stove! :p

There are all kinds of potential jokes here, but I'm just going to stop now...

I never fail to learn something new here every day, and I really appreciate everyone's willingness to share and educate. Y'all take care,
Regan

My "new" luring stove in action. I really don't know if this little beauty was made specifically as a luring stove, however, it works just fine for that particular purpose. I suppose any hotplate with a solid burner surface would do the job, but I do love the old gear.
View attachment 141874
If just for the look of that thing you'd have to go for it, Rick. I must say I applaud your efforts to bring the art of luring hats back to its rightful place in hatmaking history. I think it's all too easily forgotten or neglected.

humanshoes

One Too Many
If just for the look of that thing you'd have to go for it, Rick. I must say I applaud your efforts to bring the art of luring hats back to its rightful place in hatmaking history. I think it's all too easily forgotten or neglected.
Agreed. I hate the thought that we've already lost so many of the old processes and techniques.

Has anyone seen a hat size measurement tool like this. My problem is that I need all the sellers’ to have the tool and get me an accurate measurements before I buy hats from them. I’m not sure what use I’d have for it.

d31856189f624efcd524d6d5e546a32e.png

f0b9092b5a1be6f2297a96ce2b14ff62.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone seen a hat size measurement tool like this. My problem is that I need all the sellers’ to have the tool and get me an accurate measurements before I buy hats from them. I’m not sure what use I’d have for it.

Seen pics of them. Your’s?
Prob be great as a seller’s tool. Wish i had one.

I have one of them too. Nice display item. They pop up on a regular basis on auction sites here in various forms. I tried it a couple of times, but I don't think it was very accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR