Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Updated photo of most of my vintage ribbons. This probably pales in comparison to some collections.

y9ajy7as.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
That was not an option on Justin's C&K. It was 2 1/4 inch black ribbon (25 lignes). Best match in my cupboard was same size charcoal grey. Fun bow to build:

yratumub.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Humanshoes, I love the inventiveness on the heater for the flange bag. I may follow suit ("I know a good idea when I steal it"). I can't really tell from the photo, but wonder if you'll have enough weight. Of course, you may iron first, which would help. I've been following Major Moore's (I think I got that right) practice of ironing on the flange then cold-bagging, with good results. I occasionally heat the bag in my device, but it seems in retrospect like a largely wasted weekend of hard work. I'll do better on the next effort. Maybe a thin sandbag & a pressure system, given my recent back back problem.

Closing in on a potential lot purchase of hat tools. Wish me luck.

"Faint hat never won fair lady"

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks, JG. Heated up the bag for the first time this morning and it didn't get as hot as I would like, however, I noticed that the underside where the bag comes in contact with the heating pad was quite hot so may just take the top section and set it on the flange. Each bag weighs 25 pounds so should be heavy enough. At any rate, I'm not done playing around with to make it more effective so we'll see what happens. Oh, and I do wish you good luck on your hat tool score. Rick

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Here are some recent flea market finds.A block marked 5 5/8 ..7 1/2..1547.I also found two flanges.One is marked 7 1/2..3 the other 7 3/8..3 they have the name Domke&ulm on the sides.The thing that is different from my other flange is these two don't have the indent on the inside for the bow. http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/gokutdog/June2014051_zps46e3e566.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

John Galt

Vendor
The flanges don't have the groove, presumably, because they were made for flanging a build rather than a renovation. Domke Ulme made big hat stretchers too - you can find them on eBay for $$

You stole all of that stuff ;-)

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
IMG_1856.JPG Here are my two vintage slip sticks. The one I got from the lady whose father owned the company called "True Hatters - Binghamton, NY" -- the other I bought from Wholesale Hatters in Tulsa, OK. I got both of them in the late 1980s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24