Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Oliver, the slip sticks I made from a bamboo spoon & spatula are very similar in shape to your vintage ones. Function dictates form...

zyhujaga.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Aww gee, shucks ;-)

I'm tenacious & driven and passionate. Many are more talented. As to hat tools in particular, Mr. DeCou reigns supreme in my honest opinion. I'm just puzzling things out.

majormoore

Vendor
All the wooden tools that Mark DeCou makes were built off of tools I had and sent to him to make , all the band blocks came from my patterns I sent him
He and I talked for many months way back then and I felt he was the most gifted person that could turn out new ones to match the old ones I sent him

Major Moore

Aww gee, shucks ;-)

I'm tenacious & driven and passionate. are more talented. As to hat tools in particular, Mr. DeCou reigns supreme in my honest opinion. I'm just puzzling things out.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
All the wooden tools that Mark DeCou makes were built off of tools I had and sent to him to make , all the band blocks came from my patterns I sent him
He and I talked for many months way back then and I felt he was the most gifted person that could turn out new ones to match the old ones I sent him

Major Moore

If only he worked with metal. I need someone to machine me a front/rear tolliker for Derby work. I suppose it could be cast, but I don't know for sure.

Brad

John Galt

Vendor

Major Moore

He really is quite talented, and the prices he commands reflect that reality. I have a near complete set of crown blocks, and will be getting more soon. I hope to make & sell band blocks based on their footprint outlines. I do know that head/hat sizes are different, and would adjust the nomenclature accordingly, designating each band block by cm/inch circumference and oval shape.

John Galt

Vendor
They look real good John. I like those. I'm going to get with you about making me a few tools.

Terry, I found the wood & brass handles I had ordered to finish some foot tollikers I started a while back. I will be making a few sets of foot tollikers, pusher downers & puller downers to be sold as a package. If I get my band saw going, I may also throw a spinner in each set. All would be based on vintage items, but not exact copies.

Bugguy

Practically Family
I came across this steel hat block this morning and wondered if it had any value as a collectable. (Note - its labeled a hat saver at the whopping price of $24) It has a plate across the bottom with three 1" holes. It's stamped 7 1/2 with no other markings that I noticed. Is this used in a production shop?

IMG_2975.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Looks like an industrial block. Maybe for straws rather than felts? I would imagine the break might leave a mark on a felt hat body. It is certainly worth the purchase price.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry, I found the wood & brass handles I had ordered to finish some foot tollikers I started a while back. I will be making a few sets of foot tollikers, pusher downers & puller downers to be sold as a package. If I get my band saw going, I may also throw a spinner in each set. All would be based on vintage items, but not exact copies.

When I get around to it, I have a few 1' square spindles of ipe (pronounced, epay) wood I can send you. Those would make for some very nice handles for something. But make sure you have a good carbon saw blade to cut through it though. It's really dense stuff. It's 8 times denser than Oak. Ipe is so dense that it sinks in water.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I do know that head/hat sizes are different, and would adjust the nomenclature accordingly, designating each band block by cm/inch circumference and oval shape.

Please note, that a traditional hat-oval is not an ellipse! It's an oval - and an oval is not a standardized, geometric shape! For instance, you cannot use Adobe Illustrator's oval-tool and adjust to the correct circumference. That will leave you with a non-correct hat-oval. None of my blocks' oval fit Illustrator's oval-tool out of the box. Quite some tweaking is needed ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Please note, that a traditional hat-oval is not an ellipse! It's an oval - and an oval is not a standardized, geometric shape! For instance, you cannot use Adobe Illustrator's oval-tool and adjust to the correct circumference. That will leave you with a non-correct hat-oval. None of my blocks' oval fit Illustrator's oval-tool out of the box. Quite some tweaking is needed ;)
You know you can change those bezel lines to whatever you want. A standard tool not every time "fits" our purpose.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You know you can change those bezel lines to whatever you want. A standard tool not every time "fits" our purpose.

Yes, working with vector graphics is often part of my job. My point was exactly, that the ovals used for hats are not true ellipses - and that you can not just use any oval tool "out of the box". You're quite right - tweaking is done by pulling the handles at the control points of the Bézier-path.

patack

New in Town
Vintage Hat Stretcher

Hi,
New to this forum and what a great find.

I have what I believe is a four-way adjustable hat stretcher, but I've never seen one like this.
It is sheet metal and wood (could be ash?)

Rough measurements: 8" across as pictured.
Not even sure how old this is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69738387@N02/14593507021/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69738387@N02/14593506791/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69738387@N02/14593507131/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69738387@N02/14593507351/

Anyone seen one of these and can enlighten me.
Many thanks,
Pat

John Galt

Vendor
Didn't see any input yet ;-)

It is a 4-Way stretcher, but not the Boston brand, I think, unless it's a version I haven't seen. I do not recognize the model, but it has a custom or renovated look to me, based on the long bolts. Stretchers seem to go between $45 and $90, generally, on eBay, and sometimes much better deals can be had. 4-ways are rarer, and generally fetch a bit more than others. Are there any brand markings? I didn't see any in the photos I looked at.

John Galt

Vendor

Absolutely correct, I've noted that myself. Absent a guide and the research you have been doing, I would like to build a set of band blocks based on tracings of my vintage blocks, and designate them by cm and inch circumference - and also shape, for any special ovals.

patack

New in Town
Not a single mark that I can find. Yes, I believe industrial. The sheet metal looks like it was cut by hand rather than punched or stamped out. Not sure what the term would be. I've had this long enough and think I am going to list it, but really wanted to have more details. Display for me is one thing, selling it is another. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW