Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Hand tools purchased yesterday from a hat shop that closed in 2012 after running continuously for 65 years. These slip sticks, other hand tools (and much more) are now (finally) mine. I just wish I could have met the owners.

It was a lot of work, but a day I will remember for the rest of my life.

pure7yne.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Found in the bottom of a cabinet (really) full of vintage ribbon, when I got it home and finally opened it today. I had just strapped it closed and loaded it because it was "all frosting." Now I feel like I found a golden egg at the bottom of a bucket of silver eggs.

y5ydagah.jpg

More from the same cabinet.

u9e5uda4.jpg

And the cabinet:

jypanysa.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
No two tones. It really was the Mother Lode. This is only part of what I got.

Bought that two-tone grosgrain for your hat, but when it arrived, the white stripe down the middle of the natural color grosgrain was reflective paint. Not suitable for a good hat. Maybe it could go on your pant leg if you ride a bike ;-)

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
John, congratulations! It is great that all those old tools and supplies went to someone who appreciates them and will be putting them to good use.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John, great find, best of luck with this collection. was the hatter whose tools these were from in your local? also was there a sign for his shop? that would add to your collection. happy hatting

John Galt

Vendor
John, great find, best of luck with this collection. was the hatter whose tools these were from in your local? also was there a sign for his shop? that would add to your collection. happy hatting

Thanks Oliver, and everyone else. It was TopHatters in San Leandro, California, and I'm still a little amazed it all worked out.

Ted and Marie Lee started in 1947 only 9 days after they were married and operated continuously until 2012 when she died, 65 years later. It's a great love story, both with each other and with hatting. They must have been amazing people. Their nephew, Peter, and his son Drew are "tops" in my book, and I'll be making them both hats with Ted & Marie's tools & vintage hat bodies.

I really wish I could have met this couple. I feel honored to have their lifelong collection, which is truly amazing. I have been like a kid in a candy store for a couple of days (daze?), but it's been an awful lot of work getting it all home, and frankly, I'm exhausted.

Oliver, I now have the 4 and 4+ inch flanges you had inquired about, and many others. Please PM me. I've cleaned out space in my inbox.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
great score!!

one in a life-time chance, and you were at the right place, right time...
now go and make some hats!!

Finishing yours is top priority right now. I also received the ribbon you'd asked about for the other project.

Sadly, I read in an article that Ted & Marie burned many old blocks & flanges as firewood when they downsized from a larger operation. They regretted it later per a quote from Ted in the article, but just didn't realize their value at the time. I've read on the FL accounts of similar incidents.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
This regularly happened with Crofut & Knapp/Hat Corporation of America, and probably other large manufacturers. Worn-out blocks were discarded to company employees to be burned as firewood. Quite common during the Depression.

Brad

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
But those worn-out were replaced with new ones. I think a small hatter would not worn-out a block/flanges quickly.

So they probably didn't burn their worn-out blocks so often. Yes, it's hard for us to understand, what real need is. Read the history about "The Donner Pass" or "The Great Depression" - that will exemplify some horrible situations of unimaginable distress and need. Not everyone in history has enjoyed the luxury of being preoccupied with hat brims and crowns ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany