Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
OHatShop1.JPG John, here's another picture of the shop and me working on a hat.

John Galt

Vendor
Does that round table actually rotate? I noted that you compared it to a Lazy Susan on your web page.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
A hat creaser is maybe more of a hat owner's tool than a hatter's tool, but it is an interesting item that seemed ubiquitous in the American Hatter at the turn of the century. This is the first I've been fortunate enough to find, and at only $7.50, to boot.

zajeqeze.jpg

e7ate2u4.jpg

Here's one I don't own:

ma2urupa.jpg

ejararyb.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
It is called a bottom board and yes, it does turn. It sits on a spinner and there is a dowel that goes into the block. It was a common 19th century tool. There is reference to it in several books.

John Galt

Vendor
It is called a bottom board and yes, it does turn. It sits on a spinner and there is a dowel that goes into the block. It was a common 19th century tool. There is reference to it in several books.

Thanks, that refreshes my memory from your web page. I'll look it up.

I guess I now have at least two projects inspired by your collection.

I'd better get busy - I just need more time to chase my own rainbows.

I'll need more hardwood. Do you think walnut would be appropriate? I've got a big slab of a borough about 3 inches thick that I'd thought about making a from before I got the hat & hatting bug. Also, is that a stainless steel top on the bottom board, or something else?

Landman

One Too Many
Crude Oil in this context was exactly that as far as I can tell, although some references I found in old insurance books speak of the use of "mineral oil," which was a slightly more refined product.

I'm sure they are probably referring to a lighter gravity crude oil. The term "crude oil" can be used to describe any oil or condensate in it's natural state as it comes from the formation. Some lighter weight crude oil and condensate can be almost clear in color or a light honey color. Heavy weight crude oil can be black and tar like. The Hockley formation in south Texas produces a lightweight, fluorescent green oil that is actually the color of money! It is a beautiful oil but I don't think I'd want to rub it on a hat :)

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for the info - it was a little confusing to research. I'm guessing geologist, which jibes with your nickname...

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks for the info - it was a little confusing to research. I'm guessing geologist, which jibes with your nickname...

I'm a Petroleum Landman. I studied Petroleum Land Management at the University of Texas. The degree was a combination of oil & gas law, real estate law, petroleum engineering and geology. Learned a little bit of everything but an expert in none :)

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John, my bottom board is oak. Any hardwood would be ok. The disk is aluminum and basically it is used to protect the board from water and cutting from the rounding jack.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
IMG_0906.JPG Here are my three Hatter's Planes - they are made out of brass. One is marked W A Wheeler and the other is just marked EK, and the third one has no markings.

Block Maker

New in Town
Does that round table actually rotate? I noted that you compared it to a Lazy Susan on your web page.

I made myself one of these years ago and use it almost everyday. more utilitarian than for looks…its a work horse though! Bravo on the pics Hatter 4…can I come work for you????? I don't think I am that far away from you!

John Galt

Vendor
Gentlemen and ladies,

I received my high tech stitch awl today and gave it a try. I had never used a stitch awl before and wanted to practice before putting the first sweatband in with it.

What a great tool. I'm so impressed with it and the designer that I had to rant a bit more and let you fellows know that he's still taking orders. I understand he's even got a couple of design improvements in mind for the next iteration.

It would be a good idea to get your orders in now if you want one, because he's not yet ordered the materials. His blog address is posted in this thread, above.

Even the box he made shows uncommon skill:

pemaqaby.jpg

The thread tensioner makes this tool a lot easier to sew with than the speedy stitcher type (I watched YouTube videos), because you don't have to try to do that with your finger.

ere2e7ar.jpg

The industrial bobbin slides smoothly and is held in place by a small retaining screw and pin.

5ydupa8e.jpg

6egery3u.jpg

The body design is masculine but ergonomic. The heft of the solid aluminum body feels good and steady in the hand, and has a stabilizing effect. The thread tensioner is right at your fingertips, and you can run the bobbin back with your thumb if you let too much thread out.

The needle is replaceable and the barrel can be adjusted in and out by loosening a couple of small set screws.

All told, it is an amazing hand held sewing machine, and generations beyond the classic stitch awls I have always avoided for this kind of work because they seemed ill-suited for close detail. I know some boot & saddle makers are real artists even with such tools, but think for a moment what they could accomplish with this device.

Again, I have no monetary interest, but if you want one you should probably buy now, you may never get another chance, and I imagine the material prices may decrease with more orders.

Landman

One Too Many
John,

I'd like to buy one of those aluminum awls but I can't find an email address for him on his blog. I think it has something to do with the fact I'm using an IPad and the pages are not loading correctly. Could you post his email address or send it to me by PM? Thanks.

John Galt

Vendor
View attachment 9751 John, did you ever see these things? They are called Hatter's Planes - read the article and it will show you how they were used.

Oliver, I will sure look for them in the future! You certainly do have an amazing collection of hatter's tools. I hope that you have them described & catalogued for your family. I often tell my wife not to sell my things at a yard sale without first having them appraised.

I guess in another 30 years I may also ;-). I saw what looked like a tiny spoke plane a few days ago and almost bought it out of instinct, but it was not the same as what you've got there.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John: Two books I would recommend are "The Handmade Felt Hat" by Debbie Henderson and "Felt, Silk, Straw Handmade Hats - Tools and Processes" by Mary Elizabeth McLellan.

Block Maker: Sorry, but my hat shop is a one-may operation and my wife does the trimming and the straw hats. But thanks for asking.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
To make a rock steady bottom board, I would suggest an old theatre-trick:

BottomBoard.jpg

Three rubber wheels mounted on the underside 120° apart. This construction will not rock around a shaft - and with three wheels it will never be able to lift a wheel and rock. The wheels must be of the non-turning (don't know the proper English term) type. The wheel itself must turn, but it can not turn around it's own axis. Hope that was understandable :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner