Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Cummings machines lasted because there were no electrical part in them. We have six of them but we never use them ,,just for decoration in the store. The customer today prefers the gold initial letters or even a P Touch label.

humanshoes

One Too Many
IMG_2197.jpg I love those old Cummings machines and the old school look of the initials they produce, however, I wanted to be able to imprint my company name as well as the initials. Found this old Franklin multi-line imprinter on Etsy that came with 15 boxes of type. Should do the trick once I master the learning curve on the heat settings. I've gotten mixed results so far with too much heat making a blurry imprint and too little heat making a too light imprint, but I will get the hang of it. IMG_2204.jpg IMG_2200.jpg

Last edited:

humanshoes

One Too Many
Looks much bigger in the picture than it actually is besdor. The black wooden base is only 10" x 15". For the price, though, I didn't care much about the size. Hell, I've already sacrificed an entire room in my house plus the guest bathroom just for hats and equipment and it's only getting worse (or better).

humanshoes

One Too Many
IMG_2226.jpg IMG_2224.jpg IMG_2222.jpg

My futile search for an inexpensive hat stretcher that will stretch hats with the sweatband still intact and not leave an imprint in the felt is finally over. I love the beautiful old Garve and other similar stretchers, but it seems I'm just too cheap to pop for the high prices they are commanding. I had a 7 1/8 block that, for some reason, was indented on the bottom to accept the sweatband. It came with a lot of blocks that I purchased and was of no use to me as a standard hat block so I cut the block in half and mounted it to a $20 Harbor Freight carpenter's vice resulting in a stretcher that fits my needs perfectly at a fraction of the cost. Oh, and thanks for the holiday wishes Hatter4. Here's to a smashing New Year for all.

Last edited:
Can't say I've ever run across a block like that, smaller at the bottom to accommodate a sweatband, although I have a few that have had other sorts of surgeries performed on them over the course of their now lengthy lives.

You found the perfect use for that, 'shoes.

Did you take out a bit of material when you made the cut, so as to accommodate hats smaller than 7 1/8?

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hey tonyb. I took out enough material to go down to about 6 7/8 with more room to adjust down if the need arises. I used a hand saw on the block and just wanted to get the damn thing done without messing it up too bad.

Sounds like that would cover about 99.8273468 (roughly) percent of any foreseeable demand.

I rarely have any use for blocks smaller than 6 7/8. Very rarely. It occurred to me, during my recent move, that all but one or maybe two of those small-size blocks had done nothing but collect dust in the time I've owned them. It's still good to have them, though. Better to have 'em and not need 'em than the other way around. Although one kinda questions that thinking as one makes his 147th trip between the moving truck and the new digs.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I like your math tonyb, but now I'll lie awake at night worrying about the .1726532 percent of small heads I won't be able to take care of. No such thing as too many blocks, though....right?

-30-

A-List Customer
"Although one kinda questions that thinking as one makes his 147th trip between the moving truck and the new digs. "
tonyb

There are a number of things that you need when you have Everything:

Storage space and men; lots of men.

Regards, and Happy New Year!
J T

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
this thread seems to have died.Lets try to pump new life into it again, by starting with a new question. What is your favorite hatter's tool in your collection? and also along the same line, What do you feel is your most vaulable hatter's tool you have ?. lets get this thread up and running. Thanks

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
thank you RJR for your input . I realy think the thread Photos of hatter's tool's is dead from a lack of interest. Let me ask another question. How maney conformater's do you think are in the USA ? Thanks for your response

humanshoes

One Too Many
I hate to see this thread die due to lack of interest. Much of what I know about hatter"s tools was gleaned from this thread and it's fair to say I wouldn't be nearly as far along on the curve without the input from the hatter's who have shared their knowledge and photos here. That being said, Hatter4, my favorite tool is the one I will probably never use, this hatter's stick that was used to take hat boxes down from high shelves. It has the name of a long defunct local hatter and a hat size chart. Just a great connection to a bygone day. My most expensive, though it was thrown in with a collecttion of hatter's tools I purchased from a local couple, is this Grand Mfg. electric hat stretcher. Haven't had the nerve to plug it in yet, but probably won't use the heat anyway. As to the conformateurs, I'd be very surprised if there are more than a dozen of them left out there. Far beyond my means anyway. Just witnessed a formillion go for over $500 on ebay. That's why I've resorted to my own devices. I do hope new life can be breathed into this thread for the benefit of all the aspiring hat makers out there. IMG_2290.jpg IMG_2291.jpg IMG_1871.jpg

bloc

One of the Regulars
Very happy this thread is going again. My favourite thread too, hugely informative and interesting. Have had a bit of time off from hatting, moved premises and house and Christmas but getting going again now. And kickstarted by delivery of this little lot:

image.jpg

Finding the metal band blocks very useful already.

I have a conformateur here in Wales which I am still getting to grips with. Not sure what is my favourite piece of equipment but looking round my workshop tonight the collection of old wood and brass makes me feel warm inside. I feel very lucky to do what I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran