Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick me up...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some people feel better by doing passive things (e.g., soaking in a tub); some feel better by doing active things (e.g., exercising). I think it's good to figure out which group (active or passive relaxation) you like better.

As for the childish forms of relaxation, that reminds me of the last time I was really angry at someone. I made a paper doll of her and hanged her in effigy. Childish? Yes, but it made me feel better.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
As for the childish forms of relaxation, that reminds me of the last time I was really angry at someone. I made a paper doll of her and hanged her in effigy. Childish? Yes, but it made me feel better.

that's brilliant. i've never tried something of that sort. i hope whatever she did to cause this anger resulted in no permanent damage to you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

Within the course of a week during November, one person treated me with much disrespect and condescention. Another person negligently broadsided my car, causing me a sprained neck and back, ruining my car and leaving me without transportation.

It was the first person mentioned that I hanged in effigy. As for the second, I've barely thought about her.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
:eek:fftopic:

Within the course of a week during November, one person treated me with much disrespect and condescention. Another person negligently broadsided my car, causing me a sprained neck and back, ruining my car and leaving me without transportation.

It was the first person mentioned that I hanged in effigy. As for the second, I've barely thought about her.

but did you light the paper doll on fire while it was hanging?

mmm fire....

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Boy, do I need a pick me up today!

I woke up in the middle of the night last night only to spend an hour and a half in front of the toilet throwing up everything I ate! And I've still got a final paper to write for my women's studies class. Yikes!

Normally I would take a bath in these situations, since that always cheers me up, but I've only got a shower in this apartment. So instead I deep conditioned my hair and just relaxed in the shower (I usually only take 10 minute showers, so it's nice to not rush once in awhile). I also usually spend the day with my boyfriend when I'm feeling down, but he's working today so that's out of the question. Oh well, a nice shower was good enough!

I'm also a fan of putting on my ipod and going for a long walk. Since I'm still feeling under the weather though (and I'm still working on that paper), it's kind of an impossibility for me right now.

Mojito

One Too Many
I usually follow one of two courses when the black dog is nipping at my heels, or when something has happened to upset me -

The first is to exercise. There are days when I feel so down, and the world is so flat, stale and unprofitable, that it takes the utmost of physical and psychological effort to don the gym clothes, pack the gym bag, and run to my gym (or go to a branch in town). These are the days when I need it most of all. At the very least, I'll go for a run or a walk along the beach...even though it's the last thing I feel like doing when I set out, I've never regretted it (and part of it is physical - as Paisley mentioned, it releases endorphins).

The other is to meet up with either my sister or my best friend for drinks and talk - if it's the former, we have champagne, and if it's the latter we have fun mixing cocktails. Caution is required, however - mood has a lot to do with how quickly you can become intoxicated. If you're upset, tense, haven't been eating much etc don't scull those drinks! The results can be disastrous.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
but did you light the paper doll on fire while it was hanging?

mmm fire....

That was my first thought, but it might have set off the spinklers here in the office. Had to settle for hanging a paper doll with dental floss. Hey, it worked.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I don't think I can add much more here. All the other gals had a lot of good ideas. Comfy clothes, classic movies and most importantly, chocolate! That would be my remedy for the blues. There's a lot of testosterone around my house (my hubby and two sons); I don't get very opportunities to relax and do 'girl' stuff.

Paisley, the paper doll effigy story has me in stitches! Dental floss, how resourceful! I wish I could of done that when I worked in an office with a very nasty woman for a boss. But setting it on fire wouldn't of been a good idea because at that time I was working in a medical records department.

Hope you're feeling better, Miss Neecerie

Novella

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Something on the Internet that makes me laugh til I cry involves fiber.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/bran/index.html

lol That is fantastic! It made my day.

Miss Dottie said:
I'd like to recommend "I Captured The Castle" by Dodie Smith. A completely cozy posie book that is like wrapping yourself up in a nice blanket.

That's one of my favorite books. The movie version with Romola Garai is just as good as the book and a film I watch when it's guys that have me bummed. Keeps me hopeful! :D

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Pigeon, I hope you are better by now. I can feel with you! Once a year I get a virus and than I spend all night hanging over the toilet. Mostly I even fall asleep with my head on the porcelain than (Excuse me for this not very pleasant and glamorous insight of my life ;) ) Thank god it´s mostly gone after a day/night.

I really need a pick up myself now cause at work someone got ill and I have to take care that everything works out anyway. This morning I got up at 4 in the morning to be at work in time for all the morning duties and tommorow I´ll spend some extra-hours at work. but well... Next week I´ll have some days off and will be able to fully recover. I try to think of that and not of the stressy days ahead ;) Maybe I´ll give myself a special treat and bring some expensive choclate pralines to work tommorow :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, this is probably going to make me sound like a lush, but I would take a day off and do nothing even remotely productive. Just take a "ME" day. Long hot bath, make a martini and flip on TCM, do a mask and a manicure, and eat junky food like cheese straws and cookies. Or, order a pizza, lay on the couch, and watch some total guilty pleasure show like "Sex and the City" or something. One of my other favorite things to do on a completely unproductive day is to go pick up a restaurant dish, since I don't really enjoy going to restaurants alone, then take it home and continue my laziness. I like to pick something ridiculous that I would never make at home, like Eggs Benedict or Strawberries Romanoff, spinach enchiladas, crepes - you get the idea.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Am feeling a bit better...many cups of hot chocolate later...

Watched a few movies...checked out a few books....

Still need to do the whole body revamp...which might include taking a bath in lotion. Its been so dry lately, I itch all over......

Thank you for all the great ideas!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
A bit better...

Being able to actually find things like my work clothes has helped, as I don't feel nearly so 'jeans and a tshirt' to worky.....

But the water in the new place is much softer then the old...so am trying to cope with hair that does not act the same, and skin that is super dry...etc...

I will get back in stride soon..

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Different strokes for different folks -- when I lived in New York and felt decidedly blue, I would visit a nearby AKC kennel, look at and handle the puppies. Dogs are really good for getting me out of a funk.

Another thing, which has been suggested by many here, is a long, hot bath (I light candles and have a glass of wine), followed by a nice dinner, again set the table as if you were having company, light candles, eat a good steak or whatever makes you feel good.

A friend of mine would have me take her to a place where she could hear water running (no, not the bathroom). At times, I took her to the ocean where she could sit, hear and watch the waves for a couple of hours. Other times a little city park with a waterfall would do the trick.

I have also read certain books when I was down -- excerpts of my favorite poetry, a short story I like and want to re-read, or, if I was really bummed out, Hesse's Siddhartha will lift my spirits. There is a story about loss and accepting it, transcending it, even. Matthieson's The Snow Leopard, too, is comforting to me. Or, a favorite movie or CD can help.

It is important you do something for yourself that will make you feel good and won't cost you much money.

karol

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
A bit better...

Being able to actually find things like my work clothes has helped, as I don't feel nearly so 'jeans and a tshirt' to worky.....

Of course - I always find that having access to my clothes helps immensely. It makes me feel less like a stranger in my new home!

But the water in the new place is much softer then the old...so am trying to cope with hair that does not act the same, and skin that is super dry...etc...

But at least the cleansers and shampoos will go further! If you can get them, Origins make brilliant moisturisers for ultra dry skin - much better than plastering on extra of your usual. You'll probably find that in a few months, you hair and skin will be used to the soft water, so you may need to change products again.

I will get back in stride soon..

Glad to hear it. Have you checked out the locale yet?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
oh...I am actually quite familiar with the area, having grown up not that far from there.

But I have already gone and gotten a library card, as they have wireless internet there! So am checking out lots of new reading material, and I should really start going on walks soon, as this neighbourhood is safe enough. (my old one really wasn't!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace