Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of, or thoughts on, the Aero Teamster?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I hadn't seen the model before it appeared on the new Aero website but I must say I rather like it as an example of a longer Aero jacket for winter. Horsehide can be so heavy that I, ahem, shy away from the bulky longer models. I think if I added a Teamster to my collection, though, I would simplify it, by getting rid of the side buckles and having a one-piece back rather than a bi-swing –*a kind of hybrid with the Cheyenne, in other words.

What do people think of the jacket and does anyone have any pics?

Sir J

JanSolo

Practically Family
The Teamster is based on the 1950s HB stock pattern so it's basically a Half Belt with buttons. A nice jacket I think but even without the side buckles it would have the extra side panels. I don't think it would be possible to drop those...

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks, Jan. The longer halfbelt, presumably? I'm after a slim-fitting, buttoned longer Aero and am not quite sure how to go about it. I don't want any extra horse on one of those big babies! Sir J

JanSolo

Practically Family
Yes, sorry it's the LHB pattern. You could ask Will about making you a REALLY slim fitting Cheyenne. That's possible but you have to point out that it has to be slim fitting and not as roomy as the standard Big 3s. That would also eliminate the side panels. Ask them to cut the jacket as close fitting as possible...also have it waisted. That looks much neater than the straight boxy cut of the original Cheyenne.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Yes, sorry it's the LHB pattern. You could ask Will about making you a REALLY slim fitting Cheyenne. That's possible but you have to point out that it has to be slim fitting and not as roomy as the standard Big 3s. That would also eliminate the side panels. Ask them to cut the jacket as close fitting as possible...also have it waisted. That looks much neater than the straight boxy cut of the original Cheyenne.

This is a little off topic, but related to what you said. For a slim fit, do you think belted coats - such as the Barnstormer (basically the Cheyenne with a belt) - should be waisted?

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
How about the Stockman? That sounds like it might be what you're after. Unfortunately I haven't seen many pictures of it.

I have both a Stockman and an LHB. The Stockman is pretty boxy below the shoulders, not form-fitting at all. It's more practical for getting in and out of cars, riding the bus, and so on without having to be opened up, but not the form-fitting look that a lot of people are after.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I have both a Stockman and an LHB. The Stockman is pretty boxy below the shoulders, not form-fitting at all. It's more practical for getting in and out of cars, riding the bus, and so on without having to be opened up, but not the form-fitting look that a lot of people are after.

Do you mean to say that the Long Half Belt is not as practical as the Stockman?

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
For me, my Stockman is far more practical than my LHB, however there are more variables at work than just the cut. My LHB is cordovan fqhh and as such, there's a ton of color transfer from it. I cannot wear it in my car or it will dye my seats purple, and I cannot wear it over work clothes since it will dye my collar purple for the day. My LHB fits very nicely, very trim, but because it's a zip closure and super-stiff fqhh, that means it's not very comfortable to sit in if it's closed up.

My Stockman is the seal-colored jerky horse. As such, it is way more supple than the fqhh. And even though it's longer than the LHB, because of the suppleness of the leather and the boxier cut, it's perfectly comfortable to sit in with the bottom button undone. For me, it's the perfect jacket for winter commutes that involve driving, walking, and taking the bus in cold, rainy weather.

Over the past couple months of wearing the new Stockman, I've started to perceive the LHB as a little too showy and too impractical by comparison. It's beautiful, but more difficult to live with. I think the Teamster in jerky horse would be a phenomenal jacket, though. You get the utility of the buttons from the Stockman, with the utility of the handwarmer pockets from the LHB. And I'm a dedicated fan of the jerky horsehide now. It's quite tough, has beautiful grain, and I find it vastly more comfortable than the fqhh. Add in that there's zero color transfer from it, and I don't see myself ever buying another chromium-tanned fqhh jacket again.

Everyone's mileage will inevitably vary, though.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Teamster vs. Stuart?

Hi all,

I too am intriqued by this thread... I am wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two.

I take it the Stuart is shorter (& based on the Cossack/Halfbelt), whereas the Teamster is based on the LHB? How does the Stuart fit?

I like the look of the Teamster but I would probably do away with the "front yoke."

Thanks in advance.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Hi all,

I too am intriqued by this thread... I am wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two.

I take it the Stuart is shorter (& based on the Cossack/Halfbelt), whereas the Teamster is based on the LHB? How does the Stuart fit?

I like the look of the Teamster but I would probably do away with the "front yoke."

Thanks in advance.

I was considering a LHB with buttons when I ordered my Stuart a bit over a year ago, talked with Amanda a lot and tried to figure out the pockets (it just was way busy the way I imagined it). Decided to get the Stuart, as I have a normal LHB and I eventually wanted something a bit lighter, went with the HH used in A-2s.

The Stuart is my favorite jacket, I wear it to the office, trips, anywhere. T-shirts, ties, it's very versatile. I have also a 30s slim halfbelt (black) FQHH, that's nice, as well, and good for exactly the same reasons as the Stuart, just heavier. I've ended up wearing the LHB the least, shorter jackets are more practical driving a car, moving about, and a choice between brown and black, pretty much the same style, is enough for me most of the time.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Blethook, I have a Stuart. Great Jacket, and I have posted pics here at the FL before, but they have expired. I will try to remember to repost them. If I happen to forget, feel free to PM me.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Sir Jacket, hopefully you won't forget... I've seen one thread on the Stuart, but that's about it. Would like to see more to see how it wears with time.

What is your opinion on the practicality of the jacket? Do you find the jacket practical in the winter given that it has buttons instead of a zipper?

What sort of lining do you have on yours?

Thanks

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Blethook, I've worn it in early winter but I wouldn't wear it any later than that, unless you asked for a wool lining (I don't see why not). I've been wearing mine for a little over a year and it now fits to my body beautifully. I see it as a versatile two-three season jacket. One thing to note is that I'm not sure what other, non-Aero-initiated folk make of the cut. With most of my other Aeros I've received plenty of gratuitous compliments from complete strangers in the street: not with this one. Perhaps the cut is too period for most people. But I highly recommend it. Mine now feels like a great fit and hangs really well from my torso. For the coming deep winter, I'm even thinking of investing in what looks like a longer Stuart: the Teamster.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Blethook, here are some less-than-brilliant shots of the Stuart with a little wear.
Photoon2010-04-05at13122.jpg
Photoon2010-04-05at13133.jpg
Photoon2010-04-05at1314.jpg
Photoon2010-04-05at13143.jpg
Photoon2010-04-05at13144.jpg
[/IMG]

Sir J

blethook

One of the Regulars
Sir Jacket,

Thanks for the pics... It really looks nice!

I think the Stuart might be my next jacket...I'll probably have the back modified to be more like the Teamster...

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Yeah, I may have forgotten to say: I changed the back to a one-piece on Will's suggestion to minimise "waisting", but I agree the false half-belt is cool. Not a big fan of the byswing back.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Sir Jacket,

I like the non-belted back... It makes the jacket simpler, but I would probably add a yoke...

Can you tell me the size of the buttons Aero use on the Stuart?

I might want them to use my own (horn) buttons..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass