Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pigeon droppings on felt hats - what to do?

Chinaski

One Too Many
Chuck Bobuck said:
I thought it was an old joke, a play on words...like the beer that made Mel Famee walk us.
:D

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek when I recommended leaving the hat uncleaned - maybe I needed to put a smiley behind it! :)

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Spats McGee said:
Which one? The dog or the hat?

First, the hat, what with all that pigeon sh*t that's graced it and the dog slobber that's embedded it, and second, the dog, never know where its tongue is gonna end up.

Any time I see a dog licking someone on the mouth, I just think, "Now what was that tongue licking a few minutes ago?"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Here in Australia Low Flying Emus are a major problem for fastidious Hat wearers its rather like having an Alsatian Dog leave its "Calling Card"

Emu%20002%20430.JPG

karen_emu.jpg

article-1093673-02C46D5B000005DC-291_468x309.jpg

What is this Cove thinking!!! ?One tends to think an Emu and a white hat in the same room is a recipe for Disaster

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello again,

Well, I scratched away the dried residue, followed by the light soap with warm water method, and it has worked.

The felt is dark brown and the dropping was mostly eggshell in colour; the stain is almost invisible, and probably a second aplication may improve the result; so I would say things have gone as well as they could.

Thank you!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a thread! Good advice, funny jokes, and good humor all around. The only thing missing was a pic of the offending stain....oh, and avedwards, good luck on that Smith and Wesson thing; not the easiest to get over there, I'm sure. Should take care of the pigeons nicely though......

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I'm glad someone made a thread like this, it spares me the trouble for when the inevitable eventually happens and I need to look for advice :p.

Ever since last summer/fall I felt like I was just waiting for the inevitable goopbomb while walking around town in a hat here, as the seagulls don't just stick to the downtown pier area anymore, but have verily started to invade the nearby market squares and various other park areas in the relative close proximity:(.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
What a thread! Good advice, funny jokes, and good humor all around. The only thing missing was a pic of the offending stain....oh, and avedwards, good luck on that Smith and Wesson thing; not the easiest to get over there, I'm sure. Should take care of the pigeons nicely though......
It's near impossible to get a firearms licence here, but there must be a way of getting a vintage S&W .38, maybe under the excuse of being an antiques collector. Either way, these pidgeons need to be taught a lesson to show where they can drop and where the cannot.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
If a bird poos on your hat, you must immediately rinse it out with water. Don't wait till you get home or when it dries (find a public lavatory, river, etc). The sooner you rinse it, the less likely it would bond to the felt and the more easier it would be to remove the stain.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
If you fail to remove the new addition consider that bird feathers have long been an accent for fedoras. You may just be extending this tradition to its next logical step. You might start quite the trend my friend. :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
.. You might start quite the trend my friend. :D

Good idea. If everyone wore Fedoras then the pigeons would have more targets and there would be more incidents. You could check the trend hourly on your iPhone :p.

dostacos

Practically Family
well for the pigeon poo, I suggest flame broiled and served with a nice white wine....:eusa_clap ;)

at least THAT flying rat won't nail another hat.

Torpedo

One Too Many
dostacos said:
well for the pigeon poo, I suggest flame broiled and served with a nice white wine....:eusa_clap ;)

at least THAT flying rat won't nail another hat.

Not a bad recipe, and besides, you could save the feathers for that other use HPGene suggested - hat ribbon embellishing. Sort of compensation... ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There's no way I'd put a hat on my head (knowingly) that had reminders of bird poop on it. You got the worst of it off, now send it to Optimo (or another reputable hatter of your choosing), to get rid of the rest. It's well worth the 30 clams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy