Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pigskin

rjbaal

New in Town
Is there a reason that pigskin is not used for Leather garments? I have seen jackets in pig suede but pig leather does not seem to be used. Whats the reason? Just one of the weird thoughts that go trough my mind.

Feraud

Bartender
I am not sure how durable it is but whenever I am near a pigskin jacket I can definitely smell it. It has an odd smell.
Is pigskin still used for footballs?

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
from what I've heard pigskin is not a very high quality leather. Seeing as how a large amount of "mall" jackets are made from pigskin, I tend to agree with that sentiment.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Don't quote me on this, but I think it's because pigskin soaks in water so quickly.

The skin is very porous, and thus not well-suited for garments, especially outerwear.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
I once owned a G-1 jacket made of pigskin by Cooper. It was made in China where pigskin is popular. It was a very comfortable leather to wear but it scratched easily so durability was definitely an issue. I did not notice a distinct odor from the pigskin although there may have been a subtle one. I sold the jacket eventually because I did not think the leather was strong enough for every day wear.

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97