Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smoking

I

Ian Dundrillon

Dear Pymander,

Normally, I would say go for it, but rum-soaked straight perique? I have been a doc for many years and I would definitely classify this as a controlled substance. But , what the hell, go for it anyway. Let us know how it works out.

Ian

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
My 1st real pipe!

Well for Christmas my buddy from work hs me drop by and gives me a bottle of enhanced brandy. He suggests it should be heated and sipped and it would be great with a pipe or ciger. Unfortunately I didn't have a pipe and really don't smoke cigars....

"Well we'll have to remedy that!" he says

Next thing I know I'm the proud parent of my 1st pipe pipe!
1Pipe72dpi.jpg

He also threw in a tester pouch of Private Stock Sunset Rum, and some pipe cleaners... What a helluva guy eh!!

I

Ian Dundrillon

Heating Liquor

Dear Badluck Brody,

Be careful when heating liquor. Although not very classy or traditional, using
a microwave is much safer than flaming; also less chance of degrading the spirit. Congratulations on your first pipe. It looks like a Peterson. All of my Petersons are quite old and have Vullcanite bits. These tend to get rather nasty looking over time. If this should prove to be the case with yours, simply take it to a pipe shop and have them buff it on a bench lathe. This will restore the lustre. Enjoy.

Best regards,

Ian

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Thanks Ian!

You are absolutely correct, it is a Peterson!

And thanks for the advice, I've already been kicked out of the house after only a couple minutes. But I can see where a good pipe once in a while can be quite relaxing and somewhat therapeutic when your nerves are fried from work and the daily grind.

The Brandy I mentioned is a seasonal mix with chocolate and something else, it was really pretty good. Which might have been how that pipe mysteriously became lit...???

Cheers!

DerMann

Practically Family
Our school has a cigar and pipe club, and I stopped by out of curiosity. One of the members let me try a briar pipe with some sort of English tobacco, and after I got used to it, I really enjoyed it.

I've been toying with the idea of pipe smoking for quite some time now, and I really think I'd like to kick it off this year. I've read all of the health risks and other hazards associated with smoking, and I don't plan on smoking more than a bowl (maybe two tops) per day.

Onto the actual post.

I want to have at least two pipes. The Peterson system No. 315 and a Butz Choquin Meerschaum lined Calabash are the contenders for my money at the moment.

As for tobacco, I've read through a bunch of reviews and settled on a good variety representing Virginian, English, and aromatic tobacco. List as follows:

Peterson Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Peterson Sherlock Holmes
Dunhill Royal Yacht
Dunhill London Mix
Dunhill Standard Mix Medium
Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

From what I've read, it's a good range from mild to potent stuff. If anyone has any recommendations for a good English tobacco, I'd be glad to hear them.

My question is this:

Would it be necessary to use a separate pipe for Virginian and English blend tobaccos? Another pipe is a financial possibility, but I'd like to keep cost down to a minimum.

For this third pipe I have my eye on the La Rocca Rotunda 698 (basic straight stem pipe).

Personally, I don't like the look of corncob pipes, as they impart a drastically rustic air that I would like to avoid, and yet I understand that they are ridiculously cheap. Likewise goes for meershaum pipes, they look too fragile to use.

Another question I have is this:

Is it difficult to light a pipe whilst outside using matches? Loving all things vintage, having a match safe with strike anywhere(!) matches in lieu of a lighter appeals to me.

Think that's all for now...

-DerMann

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Outside with matches is the only way I light my pipe anymore. If it's too windy to get the pipe lit with the match sheilded with your hand, I consider it too windy for an enjoyable pipe.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Not so wizened as I might appear, but just as cranky, if not moreso

I own a Peterson New Standard that I very much like, so consider that a tacit suggestion that you buy the No. 315. I have never smoked a Meerschaum pipe, so I cannot recommend anything about them and from what I understand, most people use corncob pipes only for testing new blends. Unless the Butz-Choquin is a genuine gourd calabash pipe, I recommend that you buy something else, unless you like the shape of it, also be wary as the meerschaum in that pipe is likely compressed meerschaum, made of bits of the stuff forced together in a mold, rather than carved from a block.

As for tobacco, I suggest that you not smoke Dunhill Royal Yacht: it has, unless the mixture has changed, a very strong nicotine effect, after smoking a bowl of it, I sometimes had trouble walking. I do approve of the Standard Mixture and I think that Peterson makes rather good tobaccos, for a short while their Sweet Killarney was my standard blend, however if there is a tobacconist near you, I suggest that you investigate to see if they sell any bulk tobacco or their own blends, as those are often cheaper than the tinned tobaccos.

Matches can be a bother to use in the wind, sometimes they are extinguished immediately after you strike them, sometimes if one turns one's back to the wind and hunches over a little, especially if one is in various dimensions comparatively broadly build, it is possible to light a pipe even as a it blows, but it tricky even then.

DerMann

Practically Family
Delthayre,

I've read nothing but good things about Peterson pipes and their system, I'm glad to hear it from an FL member, though. As I understand, from reading the description on several pipe sites, the Butz-Choquin calabash is actual gourd. I've only been able two or so reviews, and they're both very positive (one on the site where I'll be buying the pipe, and another on the smokersforum, I think).

I haven't read much about pressed meerschaum vs. block meerschaum, other than pressed is basically inferior. Is it bad enough to ruin a smoke? Would it be possible to tell from pictures if it is pressed? Doubt it, but always worth asking :)

Thanks very much for your response.

Nick D,

That's actually a fairly good rule of thumb, never thought of it like that. Thanks!

John Boyer

A-List Customer
In reference to your first question, as a general rule, I prefer to have one pipe dedicated to each of my favorite blends: Virginia, English and a Cavendish. My all time favorite blend is a Virginia: Ashley's #2. In reference to your second question, I find I nearly impossible to light my pipe with matches while outside; unless it is a very calm day. I do a lot of pipe smoking outside and have never been successful or patient enough to use matches.

DerMann

Practically Family
Right, well the general consensus on the smokersforum has been to get a separate one as well, so I'll drop the $50 or so for the third pipe.

I just found this image, too:

gourdsm3.jpg

So it is real gourd and block meerschaum - looks like good stuff :D

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Water up to the nape of my neck

That's really a lovely pipe, I wasn't even sure that any companies were still making pipes like that. My reservations are certainly assuaged.

I don't know if you had thought the matter or not, but if you are going to smoke pipes, you would do well to own a pipe tool as they are of immense utility in smoking a pipe. I suggest that you purchase a few basic, inexpensive ones. Whilst Dunhill, Savinelli and others manufacture beautiful, elegant-looking pipe tools, a good tobacconist will likely have some basic steel ones that are damned near indestructible that cost fractions of the prices charged for the finer ones. So long as it has a tamper, scraper and pick, it should suffice.

DerMann

Practically Family
Apparently Butz Choquin is the only company producing authentic calabash pipes anymore. There are mahogany "calabash" pipes, but they're much heavier (from what I've read) and they use compressed meerschaum bowls. The shape just screams contemplation and enjoyment.

Yeah, I settled on the cheap $1 "Czech" pipe tool. Most places offer wood/steel pipe tools, but most people I've seen (on YouTube) just use the little Czech ones. They're cheap, so they're also easy to replace should one lose it or break it.

I think I may skip matches and go with an IMCO Super Triplex lighter, as they've been around longer than Zippo and look very interesting (not to mention CheaperThanDirt has them for less than $6 a piece!).

Thanks for your help.

-DerMann

*EDIT*

One last thing. The IMCO lighter needs lighter fluid, and I've read that most over the counter stuff is low quality, and that one should strive for at least "triple refined" fluid. How common is the stuff? Will Walgreen or Wal Mart have it, or would it be best to find a Zippo outlet or tobacconist?

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Couple of things:
I agree that you should avoid Royal Yacht, at all costs. Tasteless and full of nicotine.
Also, I would recommend trying just 1 flake or waiting all together for awhile....they can be quite troublesome. Hard to keep lit and a lot of potential tongue burn from the VA's.

The Peterson "p-lip" stem is another point for discussion.
Ive had 2 and, although the pipes were good smokers, I never liked the fact that the smoke hit the roof of my mouth and not my tongue. The fishtail stem would be the type I would suggest.

Tobacco recommendations:
Anything by GL Pease is great.
Piccadilly is a very nice English and not too much Latakia.
MacBarens Burley London Blend is a super nice, easy to smoke burlay that will give you a good idea of what the weed should taste like.

Im sure theres much, much more but.............
Oh yeah.
Check out www.pipes.org
for a bunch of great info and advice.

Good luck

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
My tobacco recommendation

I cannot recommend enough Dan's Blue Note, one of the loveliest aromatics in my rotation. Imagine a tobacco that tastes like a decadent rum-and-raisin dessert, but without being cloyingly sweet as many flavored aromatics are.

Warning though: this tobacco is about to be discontinued; for the time being you can still find it on some online tobacco sites. Do a google search.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
One of the nicest things you can do with a new pipe is rub the inside of the bowl with a good quality honey. Let it absorb the honey for about 2 weeks and then light her up.

It's an old trick my father picked up when he was in the RNZAF just after the war. And it works, I do it with any new pipe. Sweetens the bowl.

EDIT: And I cannot believe so many people dislike Dunhill Royal Yacht. It's one tobacco I really like. It's certainly got a bit of oomph but I find it very rounded and and full flavoured. Saying that, I do like strongish tobaccoes.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Wait until a vintage unopened can of Balkan Sobranie shows up on eBay, then bid like heck on it. The finest pipe tobacco blend I've ever had, bar none. Too bad it's no longer made!

Marc,

Have your tried the Balkan Sasieni blend? Some of the pipesmokers at www.tobaccoreviews.com consider this a close match and, as you would expect, some don't. As I have smoked neither, I am not a qualified judge. But I do enjoy this website.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24