Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smoking

GWD

One Too Many
Thanks for the information everyone, I think I'll take your advice and give it a try, although the idea of smoking a corn cob pipe does conjure up visions of dueling banjos and sqealing pig sounds.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Some corncob pipes look better than others. I think these ones are fine:

corncobpipe.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
They can definitely be worth the effort, depending on their condition, quality, rarity, and restoration prospects.

Unless completely disposable and/or of really junky quality, vintage specimens tend to be called 'estate pipes' by sellers. A bit of jargon for you.

So provided I see a pipe in an antique store that appears to be of good quality and no obvious flaws, how do I know it's worth picking up? Are there certain brands that I shouldn't pass up? Even if I don't enjoy smoking, one or two sitting on a shelf would look pretty cool in my man room.

Sorry about all the questions, but once I get my mind on something, I can't stop thinking, it's a sickness.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
So provided I see a pipe in an antique store that appears to be of good quality and no obvious flaws, how do I know it's worth picking up? Are there certain brands that I shouldn't pass up? Even if I don't enjoy smoking, one or two sitting on a shelf would look pretty cool in my man room.

Sorry about all the questions, but once I get my mind on something, I can't stop thinking, it's a sickness.

Two of my favorite pipes are estate. One is probably about 100 years old.

Brands to watch for would be Dunhill and Petersen, I'd say. There are certainly others, of course, but those are the two I always keep an eye out for.

But beyond that is simple aesthetics. If you see a pipe that catches your eye, that has its stem bent just so or the shape of the bowl just right, don't worry about the lack of a name on the stem. One of my favorite pipes is a Dr Grabow, which is a pretty cheap brand but it smokes really nice.

Do watch out for pipes with badly burned bowls, or with a massive cake built up inside the bowl (a sooty, crusty buildup from the burning tobacco). Make sure the stem fits tightly. If the pipe's in overall good condition but has lost its lustre, restoration is always possible. Loose or cracked stems can be repaired, too.

GWD

One Too Many
Thanks again for your answers, two more questions,

What makes Dunhill so much more expensive than other brands?
What's the story on these "Military" or "Army" bits I've run into?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
Thanks again for your answers, two more questions,

What makes Dunhill so much more expensive than other brands?
What's the story on these "Military" or "Army" bits I've run into?

I have yet to figure out why Dunhills are so much more expensive, but they are very nice pipes.

As to military bits, that one is actually kind of cool. The tapered tenon on a military bit allows one to take it apart while it is still warm from smoking without risking damage. Theoretically this was developed for soldiers, who needed to be able to clean and put away their pipes quickly.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I imagine part of it is just the Dunhill name, though the better pipe makers tend to use better pieces of briar with a straighter grain and fewer fills.

GWD

One Too Many
Well, I bit the bullet today and visited Tobacco Barn and pickup up their starter kit, which included an inexpensive straight briar billiard pipe, a bag of English Tobacco Samples, a tamper tool, some pipe cleaners and a pamphlet.

I asked the owner about the price of Dunhill Pipes, he said pretty much the same thing, Today it's more of the name than the quality of the pipe. He said there isn't even a Dunhill Factory anymore, they subcontract out to other pipe makers.

I haven't started to break in the new pipe but I'll be sure to let you know my impressions.

GWD

One Too Many
Update

I had a little time this afternoon to try it out. I smoked two half bowls about an hour apart as was directed for proper briar pipe break in. I smoked an aromatic called "Black Velvet" a vanilla based blend.

I had no trouble with packing and or keeping the pipe lit which was encouraging. The flavor wasn't what I was expecting but wasn't nearly as harsh as a cigarette or cigar. Smoking the first half bowl, I don't think I was as relaxed as I was with the second which I smoked slower and with more thought and focus on the taste.

I don't think pipe smoking is something I would do everyday but I can understand the appeal. I was expecting a slight buzz which I've experienced with cigars and chewing tobacco which never did occur, is this common or am I doing something wrong? [huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
I had a little time this afternoon to try it out. I smoked two half bowls about an hour apart as was directed for proper briar pipe break in. I smoked an aromatic called "Black Velvet" a vanilla based blend.

I had no trouble with packing and or keeping the pipe lit which was encouraging. The flavor wasn't what I was expecting but wasn't nearly as harsh as a cigarette or cigar. Smoking the first half bowl, I don't think I was as relaxed as I was with the second which I smoked slower and with more thought and focus on the taste.

I don't think pipe smoking is something I would do everyday but I can understand the appeal. I was expecting a slight buzz which I've experienced with cigars and chewing tobacco which never did occur, is this common or am I doing something wrong? [huh]
As to flavor, the slower you smoke the more flavor there is, and aromatics almost never taste like they smell.

As to the buzz, a lot of pipe tobaccos (especially) do not really pack that much vitamin N, it all depends on the blend. Lots of pipe smokers, myself included, are not really looking for that much of a buzz when smoking, just the relaxation and enjoyment that comes with a good smoke.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
GWD said:
I was expecting a slight buzz which I've experienced with cigars and chewing tobacco which never did occur, is this common or am I doing something wrong? [huh]

The buzz definitely does occur, but it can depend on the number of factors: the tobacco blend, the number of bowls that you smoke and how your tissues draw in the smoke and "juice," the functioning of your physiology at that moment, and even the position of the planets. (Okay, not that.)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
and even the position of the planets.

As far as I can tell, that is the determining factor for whether my pipe will stay lit. Well, maybe the blizzards I was smoking in recently effected it too...

RudyN

One of the Regulars
Great on beginning pipe smoking. I think you will really enjoy it. I would suggest getting a second pipe so that you can give the other a rest. Briar pipes smoke best if you give them a day off between smokes.

GWD

One Too Many
RudyN said:
Great on beginning pipe smoking. I think you will really enjoy it. I would suggest getting a second pipe so that you can give the other a rest. Briar pipes smoke best if you give them a day off between smokes.

Thanks!

Regarding a second pipe; the practical guy in me says, buy another cheap briar or corncob, the "I love the finer things in life" guy says "I really like those Peterson Pipes!"

Honestly, do they all smoke the same but the quality is different? Like a folding chair vs. Herman Miller Chair? Functionally they do the same thing just one is better made and looks a lot nicer than the other?

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
Thanks!

Regarding a second pipe; the practical guy in me says, buy another cheap briar or corncob, the "I love the finer things in life" guy says "I really like those Peterson Pipes!"

Honestly, do they all smoke the same but the quality is different? Like a folding chair vs. Herman Miller Chair? Functionally they do the same thing just one is better made and looks a lot nicer than the other?

I started smoking a pipe about 6 months ago. Started with a $25 briar, then bought a $45 La Rocca. From there, I got a good deal on a used Aldo Velani, and picked up a Maestro de Paja estate pipe from Ebay. Let me tell you, the more expensive pipes are definitely better smokers, and also much more enjoyable. Everything about them is nicer, from the bite to the grip. I recommend looking into some estate pipes on Ebay. You can find some great deals on good quality pipes. Enjoy!

GWD

One Too Many
Peterson "Private Selection"

Has anyone heard of the "Private Selection" by Peterson's Pipes?

There is nothing on their website. I just picked this up on ebay because it's so beautiful and the price seemed reasonable compared to other Peterson's I've seen.

Thanks.

astrbac

New in Town
DerMann said:
I want to have at least two pipes. The Peterson system No. 315 and a Butz Choquin Meerschaum lined Calabash are the contenders for my money at the moment.

This question is quite old but I thought I'd share some of my pipe wisdom anyway :) You have chosen two good pipes, your taste will probably profile in time... I prefer the freehand pipes, some of them even made by myself

DerMann said:
Peterson Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Peterson Sherlock Holmes
Dunhill Royal Yacht
Dunhill London Mix
Dunhill Standard Mix Medium
Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

I haven't tried any of these tobaccos but a good place to start would be Tobaccoreviews.com . I have heard all the good things about Squadron leader but I don't know about the others.

For the English I would DEFINITELY refer you to some other Latakia tobacocs:

Balkan Sasieni
Ashton Artisans
McClelland Frog Morton
Dunhill MyMixture 965 (if you can find it)
Macbarren Vintage Syrian

DerMann said:
Would it be necessary to use a separate pipe for Virginian and English blend tobaccos?

Not necessary but a good option. You dont mix and match and can enjoy your different tobaccos better.

DerMann said:
Likewise goes for meershaum pipes, they look too fragile to use.

Now this is one area where you are wrong mate :)... Meerschaum pipe may be your best aquisition! It is inert material, allows you to enjoy your tobacco flavor and nothing else, cools down quickly so you can reuse it in about an hour... And it looks down right cool if you ask me ;)

Cheers!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana