Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipes and Dress

Ravenor Bullen

New in Town
I have pondered the question of pipes and dress for some time now.

Although the occasions for formal dress are fast diminishing these days, there are times when one needs to wear a dinner jacket and the question of which pipe to carry becomes a concern.

Recently, when attending a formal wedding reception I deliberated for a while over which pipe would go best with my black tie.

I have a couple of black dress pipes, although it is hard to come by new ones these days. Mine are a Dunhill and a Comoy are in a jet black smooth polish, one with a silver mount. I have seen others with more ornate stem-shank rings and there is even one pipe a friend has with diamonds set in the mount.

I posed for a while in front of the mirror (judging pipe appropriatness not subjective good looks - I hasten to add) and found that my mostly brown coloured briars clashed somewhat with my black jacket. It is rather akin to wearing brown shoes with a grey or dark suit, I suppose.

Finally I chose one of my black pipes for the wedding and it being a straight billiard it somehow suited my formal appearance. I am of the view that bent stemmed pipes suggest a certain casualness, anyway.

(If I was less formally attired I do not think it would matter what pipe I smoked.)

A woman friend at the wedding complimented me on my pipe and its aroma so I must have got it right.

I wonder if others have views on pipes and dress?

Highlander

A-List Customer
My thought, a black billiard pipe, with little or no ornamentation. Your black tie is black, your tux would be black, a dinner jacket white. The only real ornamentation would the the stripe in your trousers.

Just my Humble Opinion.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dunhilldress3103billard.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I thought this thread was going to deal with wearing a kilt, and a Glengarry. Or maybe even a smoking jacket, like Hef still wears, lounging at the Grotto.

My bad. lol

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff