Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places in the UK that would copy a jacket in a heavier hide.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Smithy :) hopefully the strategy will pay off, if not I will offload it on eBay and chalk it down to experience. All things being fair, including a calico toile prior to the jacket construction something worthwhile should result. Your Raider has increased my confidence levels

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Smithy :) hopefully the strategy will pay off, if not I will offload it on eBay and chalk it down to experience. All things being fair, including a calico toile prior to the jacket construction something worthwhile should result. Your Raider has increased my confidence levels

Gosh I hope they do a good job, I'll feel slightly guilty if they make a balls up of it after singing their praises with my last jacket from them! ;)

bn1966

Gosh I hope they do a good job, I'll feel slightly guilty if they make a balls up of it after singing their praises with my last jacket from them! ;)

I won't lose any sleep if it doesn't turn out as desired, it's all part of the jacket journey ..you win some, you lose some :)

zebedee

One Too Many
Wested currently has goatskin and horsehide in solid dark browns- does anyone have a jacket in these hides, and if so, what's thickness/quality like?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Then Wested goat I had was as good as any I goatskin have ever seen. Thick and veg dyed. It aged and faded pretty well too. But the hide varies over time. I'd get on COW and ask there, they are up to date on this stuff.

Edward

Bartender
The Wested goat Indy jacket I bought is very nice. Much softer and lighter than Aero goat. I prefer the Aero goat, but the Wested one has proven excellent for Summer wear, and perfectly durable for the use I've given it. I certainly haven't babied it. I don't know if it's the same stuff they're using now - mine was new four or five years ago.

zebedee

One Too Many
They have rocketeer tan horsehide in, but I'm being told it's really heavy (I'm not opposed to really heavy). The jacket that I'm hoping to get copied is pretty much a railroader jacket, so heavy might be good. If the goat's good, though, maybe it'd drape better, etc.

It's a miserable addiction.

J.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Does it have to be UK based? Because Alan/Johnson Leather has done great custom work before. They are currently in a bit of a crisis though, so I don't know about waiting times..

Re- Johnson Leathers crisis. They're pausing on full custom work until they find a new pattern cutter. I believe a couple employees were let go. This comes from first hand experience with a failed order that took 6mths and no jacket was complete. And we're talking large basic measurement / cutting errors. Like shoulder width / chest etc. They even managed to error on my vintage jacket they were fitting with side straps. Completely uneven, one side was stitched 1" higher.

bn1966

They have rocketeer tan horsehide in, but I'm being told it's really heavy (I'm not opposed to really heavy). The jacket that I'm hoping to get copied is pretty much a railroader jacket, so heavy might be good. If the goat's good, though, maybe it'd drape better, etc.

It's a miserable addiction.

J.

It is indeed a miserable & expensive addiction (I've had to give up smoking booze & gambling to fund it).

With regard to Wested, their idea of what their average customer calls heavy & ours may be very different. I rejected what I viewed as thin flimsy hide in favour of some goat that was thicker with more grain showing & was viewed as undesirable by many (of their customers) but seemed perfect to me & the closest match to my Star Sportwear G-1 that they are copying :)

Edward

Bartender
With regard to Wested, their idea of what their average customer calls heavy & ours may be very different. I rejected what I viewed as thin flimsy hide in favour of some goat that was thicker with more grain showing & was viewed as undesirable by many (of their customers) but seemed perfect to me & the closest match to my Star Sportwear G-1 that they are copying :)

It does pay to remember that the average Wested customer is looking for a costume, rather than a "working" jacket.... No slight intended in that , it's just a very different market.

The older Wested goat was as thick, if not thicker than the Aero. Really heavy goat and lovely and soft.

That does sound nice.... I'm planning ot get out there and look at their Hero jcket model; a slightly thicker goat for that would be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic