Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places in the UK that would copy a jacket in a heavier hide.

zebedee

One Too Many
Anyone know of somewhere that might do this in the UK? I'd like to get a vintage leather jacket reproduced in a 2.5 oz HH or goat, preferably in a cordovan or chestnut colour. I'd shoot it off to Aero in a heartbeat, but it's a bit 70's...

J.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Simmons Bilt at least won't mind the time period the jacket is from and they offer hides of the likes you are looking for. I haven't seen them doing full custom styles yet but i would not be surprised if they agree to do that kind of re-build.

Does it have to be UK based? Because Alan/Johnson Leather has done great custom work before. They are currently in a bit of a crisis though, so I don't know about waiting times..

zebedee

One Too Many
It helps if it's UK based as JL would probably incur heavy postage fees/duties. I might fire some pictures of it off to various companies and see what turns up.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Which jacket are you wanting to get reproduced? Pics?

Someone somewhere might already do doing something similar.

bn1966

Wested Leathers in the UK say they undertake custom work including copying customers existing jackets.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

I think Wested might have upped their game recently. I bought a custom Raiders jacket last October from them and I was stunned at both how nicely it was made but also the leather (soft seal brown cowhide) which was seriously nice.

bn1966

I think Wested might have upped their game recently. I bought a custom Raiders jacket last October from them and I was stunned at both how nicely it was made but also the leather (soft seal brown cowhide) which was seriously nice.

I've got a custom build on with them at present which involves copying an original G-1, chose the goat myself from their hide collection...prominent grain and similar to the jacket it's cloning.
Should have the finished article within 6 weeks.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've got a custom build on with them at present which involves copying an original G-1, chose the goat myself from their hide collection...prominent grain and similar to the jacket it's cloning.
Should have the finished article within 6 weeks.

Really looking forward to seeing that BN and I hope they do a first rate job. My Raiders was my second Wested jacket and whilst my first from them is a nice jacket, this recent one from them is a seriously bloody good jacket. Only thing I would change - and will do down the line - was the zipper. Apart from that it's an absolute corker of a jacket.

bn1966

Really looking forward to seeing that BN and I hope they do a first rate job. My Raiders was my second Wested jacket and whilst my first from them is a nice jacket, this recent one from them is a seriously bloody good jacket. Only thing I would change - and will do down the line - was the zipper. Apart from that it's an absolute corker of a jacket.

Thanks Smithy,

My Star Sportwear '72 G-1 (size 48) came in a bit narrow in the shoulders & mine being quite broad leads to discomfort after a while. A gentleman that I use for cleaning & restoring vintage nylon flight jackets recommended Wested to copy my G-1 and build in wider shoulders in the pattern.

Reassuring to me to hear about the success you had with the Raider :)

My feeling was that lining, collar mouton, buttons, zipper & knits needed sourcing by me and giving to Wested to add. I followed this path using some NOS from MASH Japan & parts from others too.

I've had a calico toile made and adjustments made from that..have battled the M-25 (motorway) twice to visit Wested & now await the outcome :)

zebedee

One Too Many
Does Wested make jackets that are reasonably resilient? I'm not expecting Aero-quality, but if I'm going to lay down the funds I'd like something that I can chuck myself around in for a few years at least. I've emailed various companies...

J.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Does Wested make jackets that are reasonably resilient? I'm not expecting Aero-quality, but if I'm going to lay down the funds I'd like something that I can chuck myself around in for a few years at least. I've emailed various companies...

J.

My recent Raiders jacket (made October last year) is seriously well made, in fact I was a little shocked at how good it was compared to my first jacket from them (from 2 or 3 years back), not that the first one was bad, but this new one is in a different league, exceedingly well made, stitching, lining, etc are excellent, very, very close to the big boys in terms of materials and how it's been put together. I'm super satisfied with it.

Edward

Bartender
Haven't Wested off-shore some of their manufacturing now? (Not that it especially matters, but extra-UK manufacturing is definitely one wya to keep the price down). I've always been impressed with their Indy jackets for the money. Wouldn't putg them on a par with my Aeros, but at a fraction of the price, it's not really a fair comparison. Quality of manufacture is certainly as good as the Schotts I've experienced. A light goat Indy jacket from Wested makes an excellent Summer leather - drapes justl ike the original, without the fragility of the lamb. I'm thinknig perhaps into the Summer if I can raise the scratch of having one of their 'Hero jacket' models made up in the goat for myself.

zebedee

One Too Many
Their Rocketeer horsehide looks ok- as long as the end result is mid-weight and fairly durable, I'll be happy to give them a go. SB might be able to do it- awaiting response.

bn1966

My custom jacket from Wested is being made in the UK (at Wested) from Italian tannery Goat-hide.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Same with my custom Raiders jacket, it was made in the UK at Wested. Ridiculously good value for the quality, and as I mentioned earlier, I have a sneaking suspicion that they might have upped their game recently. My Raiders jacket from October 2015 is quite noticeably at a higher level than the first jacket I got from them in 2013 (which in itself isn't a bad jacket).

Exciting wait BN, I think you did well to source the bits and bobs from MASH and get Wested to put the thing together. I really hope they do a good job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic