Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Platinum Music Nib Fountain Pen

Well, Fountain Pen Lovers, I have found a pen you are likely to LOVE! Platinum is a Japanese maker that is noted for high quality pens as is Pilot / Namiki and also Sailor. Japanese fountain pens rarely disatisfy the user.

Back on the Labor Day weekend I got a email coupon from Swisher for a pertagage off and decided that I would use it as a much belated birthday present for my self. Now the Platinum Musc nib has received a fair amount of good reviews in the fountain pen world and the price seemed really right to me seeing how the budget was in shambles anyway.

I ordered it with priority mail but as luck would have it, they were sold out according to the email a member of the Lee family sent. I got the option of cancel for refund or a wait for the US distributor to fill the order. I opted to wait and a short delay was interposed on me. Priority mail brought this much welcomed package and today I sat down to prep the pen for use.

As you may know sometimes a fountain pen just doesn't write well right off the bat. The usuall reason is that releasing agents for the molding process on the feed or the converter are interfering with the ink travelling from the resoivour to the nib. The tip from Stylophiles magazine that they use for all of their test reviews is to mix 1 part Formula 409 with 3 to 4 parts COLD water and flush the nib and if used, converter for about 10 fills with the mixture. Following that with plain cold water to remove any 409. This should remove any oil or greasy releasing agents from the pen.

I filled it with the Caran d'Ache blue as it was the handiest bottle on my desk and proceded to write. WOW! this nib is as smooth as glass with really nice line variation as it is similar to an Italic nib. It gives a nice charactor to my writing and makes a nice expressive line, good for signatures too. If you haven't used an italic, on some the corners can be sharp and grab the paper, especially if it is a rougher textured paper, but this nib the music type is more like a stub nib rounded and very smooth writing.

One thing is instead of the single slit down the middle of the nib for two tines, this one has two slits making the nib a three tined nib!!!

I give it 2 thumbs up (both right and left hands) and a good reccomendation for those looking for a different look for their handwriting or signature.

Pix

Sorry I can't take any pictures as my digital camera had some kind of nervous breakdown in July.

However the Platinum Web site has pictures, I got the Black with Gold Trim one on the Bottom.

http://www.platinumpenusa.com/musicnib.htm

As far as I can find the music nib is a one size nib, no Fine / medium / broad choices.

Note the two slits in the nib for a wetter line for faster writing. Those music writers must really get going when the inspiration hits them!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy