Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please, I really need advice with this hat

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I used to be in hats a few years ago. And I kind of miss them.
I was going through them and flat ironed a few of them.
The one shown in the picture below is my fav, it was handmade by Esther Weis.
Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 13.32.17.png

Now when taking the hat, it looks perfectly fine
But when I wear it, the brim loses its shape. it used to stay straight
1.jpg

It looks as if my head had been getting bigger, but it has not The hat perfectly fits me. There is no extra pressure on my head

But I don't know what to do to make it look good on me
2.jpg

The same happens with another one, also made of fur

I know i do not store them the way I should, they simply hang on my wall
3.jpg

Could you please advise me ?

Thank you

Edit : now that i came back here, I realize it is the hat shown on my avatar, maybe 5 years ago. As you can see, it used to be straight.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
That is the kind of brim distorsion one gets when there is excessive pressure somewhere around the base of the crown. My guess is that though you can't feel it, the sweatband has probably shrunk a little.
If it was my hat I would put something like a hat-jack in, open it until I got a similar shaped brim as when I wore it, then with the hat-jack still in place, iron the brim flat. I would also keep the hat-jack, with the same setting in the hat if not wearing it for a while.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,
Thanks for you reply. i just got one on Amazon.
By any chance, do you know how long it takes to enlarge - or "unshrunk" - the sweatband ?
Are we talking days? weeks?

Thanks

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
That wonky brim look happened to me on a couple of long oval hats. I'm a round oval and trying to squeeze into the long oval, even though it was my exact size, it would do what yours is doing. I ended up having to have it reblocked to my round head. Now it's fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui