Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

lindylady

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
lindylady,

it's never too late to learn to sew! sewing machines can come REALLY cheap on craigslist or at a thriftstore, as can fabric, patterns to practice on, and sewing books. classes are pretty easy to find at adult ed centers and community colleges, or you can teach yourself! :)

I'll have to try it out this summer, then. I know the local community center has sewing classes around that time. Hopefully I can learn something. Oh, to think of the lovely clothes I could make if I learned this art! :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi All,

Thought I'd give a little product review as I've ordered a number of things this week.

Old Navy; I've never shopped here before--thought it seemed too young and trendy and I didn't know they had plus sizes until Beauty Plus Power pointed it out to me. I got the Floral Halter and the Cross Front dresses.

I was really pleased with the quality of both items--very nice, soft cloth, cut well, the halter dress is lined. Their clothes seem to run large though. I got a 22 in the Halter and I'm returning it for an 18. With the Cross Front I was on the cusp of 1x and 2x so I opted for the latter which was too big. Hopefully the 1x won't be too small because I really like the dress, the pattern is much more subtle than the online picture would lead you to believe.

Talbots; I got 70% off 3 gored skirts and 5 shirts. I love their quality and if you pick right you can get some nice vintagey looking items but their sizes drive me nuts! Again, if I went by their chart I'd wear a 20/22. The things that actually fit me were 16, 18 and 1X (14/16). I hate vanity sizing! I don't care what the number on the label reads, just make the clothes correspond to your size charts! Grr.

I'm waiting for packages from Eddie Bauer, Target and Stop Staring. I'll let you know how those clothes work out when they arrive.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I got my Stop Staring dress today. I was seriously in doubt over whether the 3X would fit me, but with the proper undergarments it was perfect. I loved the neckline and the button details.

I'm going to send it back though because of the fabric, which was stiff, slightly scratchy and had quite a chemical smell (which I assume would wear off). Also, the zipper was sewn in badly and it was quite visible on the red portion of the dress. If I'm paying $90 for a dress I expect better.

Too bad because it was really cute, but I think I could sew something just as nice or better for half the price.

I ordered from Daddy O's, impeccible service thus far.

Elisa

New in Town
I don't know if I'm supposed to reveal this or not...my specialty is plus size clothing, both vintage and contemporary. I'm a big woman, so finding nice vintage in larger sizes is my passion.

Rosa Moline

New in Town
I bought a lot of vintage dresses off a great seller on eBay, and only two fit me. My fault. I need to drop many, many pounds before I can fit in them. If that ever happens, great! Because I bought 10 dresses for $19 and they are cute. So for now, I have to look in thrift stores which is no problem - lots of big sized skirts there. Oh well!

Medusa

New in Town
Just FYI:

Torrid has a new collection right now that is pretty cute! They are calling it 'Pin-up perfect' or something.

All of the collection is polka-dots with classic lines and they have a lot of great stuff. I have my eye on a black and white plaid dress with a big red sash. Its kinda modern 40s but I could make it work.

There are also a couple of things at Lane Bryant.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Wow, I can't believe what they charge for a sash headband, if I was a headband person (unfortunately I can't, I got a big head most of them hurt) I'd go to one of the dollar stores I've seen them at. I've also seen very similars dressess for about 1/3 of the price at a store locally called Rainbow, just haven't decided if they complimement my body type or not.

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Hello,

I'm putting a dress in the classifides area - it's too big for me! (That's a first I can tell you!) but it just might be good for one of you gals.

I'm about a UK 16 (US 12) and I would say the dress would fit a UK 20 - 22 easy. (US 16 - 18) so have a look! :)

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i have seen some passable dresses in bon marche. it's a uk store. but you can find stuff on ebay and i think they have a web site too.
it's got a bad reputation over here for being for old ladies, but i think that makes it better, cos they tend to make classic designs that go up to bigger sizes. i think a uk24/26.
i've seen a few 40's style day dresses in there and they have decent pencil skirts too. also i saw a pretty pair of 50's inspired espadrilles a few weeks back.
:)

zaika

One Too Many
Overweight and hoplessly in love with vintage clothing

Hi everyone. I'm new here...my name is Annie.
So...I'm overweight. I love clothes from the era...but the really cool outfits...well, there isn't a hope in hell. LOL. I can only buy so many pairs of glasses and shoes before I have to face the fact that I only have one vintage piece of clothing that I can wear.
My question is (and if there's an existing thread about this...please let me know!)...are there any ladies here who are large (not just chubby, but large...like, modern size 20-22-24) but dress in vintage clothing...or vintage repro? What styles look good on a large woman? And what styles should a large woman stay away from?
Hoping to hear from the bigger ladies (I hope I'm not the only one!),
Annie

pretty faythe

One Too Many
There's a bunches of us. I know Lady Day makes a bunch of her own I need to get my mums sewing machine serviced so I can start using her machine again. But I find some good bargains spartically. I'm currently a modern 16/18. Generally an 18, going down. And in all depends on what shape ya have on what looks best. I know there are some threads. Hmmm.
Here's one
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17721&highlight=vintage+bodacious+babes

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi Zaika, As Pretty Faythe said there are lots of curvy ladies on here, Im a modern 16 to 18 and love my figure in vintage clothes, not so keen on it in todays fashions. You could definately make some of your own clothing. Ive made this dress and have found it really flattering
http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/swing.htm
Infact the model in the blue dress is one of the ladies on here.
Hope this helps.:)
Kerry

Rosie

One Too Many
There is a thread on here, I'm waaaay too lazy to find it. I'm modern 22 - 28 depending on the cut and I have many vintage pieces as well as vintage repro.

What style looks good on you depends on your style, your shape, etc.

I'm very pear shaped so, I tend to like fuller bottoms, more cinched in waists and tops. The 50s work well for me for that reason.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This summer, I was a 20, now after 2 months on Medifast, I'm a 16. You can find some larger stuff on ebay, but it goes quickly and at high prices. I tend to sew my own instead. Most of the big name pattern companies have reprints of several different vintage styles. I agree that it depends on your shape, not just size. I am a larger hourglass, same measurement for hip and bust, with a small waist. I look better in WWII styles or the rare princess seamed 50's styles. Someone with a smaller bust but large hips would look better in the full skirt, shirtwaist 50's styles, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy