Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

Medusa

New in Town
Ok, I am a current size 24-26 depending on the maker and I am SO frustrated.
I got a great vintage skirt. Its a pencil skirt in a loud orange plaid (Im thinking 60s?) and its a size 26 1/2 and it doesnt fit.

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Check out the sticky at the top of the forum. Its got great vintage sizing specs.

So sorry about the skirt! Been there many a time.

LD

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Post eBay link?

epr25 said:
I haven't posted anything yet. I have to find the dresses and retake some photos. I hae them burried somewhere in the garage sale pile. I think I might have some others that I have stuck away for ebay in the future but I would rather see you guys get these since you would actually appreciate them more. I think I have a couple suits too. Maybe late 50's early 60's?

I am not sure how that classifieds work. I guess it would be first come first serve?

This may be "illegal" here, but it would reduce a lot of whatever to post on eBay and then post the link here as an FYI or in the classifieds.

(or am I the only one envisioning a feeding/buying frenzy?)

Rosie

One Too Many
Why didn't I see this thread before? :(

Plus size vintage I am noticing comes in waves. Sometimes theres LOTS of it around and other times, like lately, there isn't much. :(

Usually I find about one really good piece of vintage that I like a month or so. I'm currently a size 18 - 26 depending on the maker, cut, blah, blah, so I know how you ladies feel. I usually scour ebay, like through the vintage/thrift stores in my and my cousin's neighborhoods (the owner puts things away for me now I'm there so much) or I make clothes (which I HAVE NOT been doing lately, jeez, I'm so lazy) or get the VI look with modern clothes.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Leading Edge said:
This may be "illegal" here, but it would reduce a lot of whatever to post on eBay and then post the link here as an FYI or in the classifieds.

(or am I the only one envisioning a feeding/buying frenzy?)

It is. No live eBay auctions. *read the FAQ*

LD

lindylady

A-List Customer
Hamilton_Honey said:
Personal auctions - classifieds - I am another plus size girl on the FL. And I have to do a lot of making my own, modifying, adding vintage buttons and things to newer clothes and going with lots of vintage accessories.

I'm always looking....

You're fortunate with the knowledge of sewing. It's harder when you can't do those things. I'm making sure to take advantage of this fashion season because there are a lot of vintage-inspired pieces in stores.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
lindylady,

it's never too late to learn to sew! sewing machines can come REALLY cheap on craigslist or at a thriftstore, as can fabric, patterns to practice on, and sewing books. classes are pretty easy to find at adult ed centers and community colleges, or you can teach yourself! :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Rosie said:
Plus size vintage I am noticing comes in waves. Sometimes theres LOTS of it around and other times, like lately, there isn't much. :(

I think for the past couple of months, it has been tough to get vintage clothing in larger sizes due to Viva Las Vegas. I remember the prices going up a lot between February and March leading up the VLV. But they start coming down again in May.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I like this thread! I wear an 18-20 depending on the maker.

I'm with Lady Day as far as hating the fabric used in alot of plus sized clothes; it really can be awful. (By the By LD, what happened to all the pics of those fabulous clothes you made? Can you repost or is my computer just wonky?)

That BeautyPlusPower site is great--I'm buying that blue dress from Old Navy. I hate it how the older plus size sites seemed to always want to include the word "sassy" or some such. The practice is waning but it really irritates me.

I've found some nice 40's looking skirts and sweaters at Talbots. Unless you're in love always wait for the sales--I've gotten $200 items for $30.

Eddie Bauer/Eddie Bauer Outlet also has some retro feeling dresses in larger sizes, and I got my favorite "Second Mrs. DeWinter" argyle sweater there too. Again I always wait for the sales.

I also sew alot, usually it takes me twice as long to size up the patterns as it does to actually sew the dress! I'm working on the sweetest spring dress from 1956 right now. Also, I love Hot Patterns--they're modern but many of their styles look vintage and they go up to size 26; sometimes it's nice to just sew.

The bane of my existence is trying to find boots. I've bought and returned 3 pair already with no luck. If I like the style the calf is too small. If the calf fits I hate the style. Darn my 19" calves! I have high hopes for the David Tate boots I just ordered from Silhouettes.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I like this thread! I wear an 18-20 depending on the maker.

I'm with Lady Day as far as hating the fabric used in alot of plus sized clothes; it really can be awful. (By the By LD, what happened to all the pics of those fabulous clothes you made? Can you repost or is my computer just wonky?)

That BeautyPlusPower site is great--I'm buying that blue dress from Old Navy. I hate it how the older plus size sites seemed to always want to include the word "sassy" or some such. The practice is waning but it really irritates me.

Here are my clothes. Keep in mind, these are older, and Ive lost a few inches and had to take in EVERYTHING :eusa_doh: Plus I got a good girtle, so Im totally rocking the hourglass thang ;)

That B+P site is a good one. I ran across it a while ago and lost it. I spent two hours searching for it and was so happy when I found it lol

'Old Lady' stores like Macy's and the like are great for finding classic staples of things. And Imoldfashioned, you are totally correct, if you wait, you can get a $250 coat for $30 (scouts honor :rolleyes: ).

LD

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Here are my clothes. Keep in mind, these are older, and Ive lost a few inches and had to take in EVERYTHING :eusa_doh: Plus I got a good girtle, so Im totally rocking the hourglass thang ;)
LD

Good for you Lady Day! No matter what size you are, you are beautiful! I can only immagine the effort it must take to make those kind of changes. Just lending my encouragement and support :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much Lady Day! Seeing what you did made me start sewing in earnest again instead of waiting for the nebulous day when I'd lost all the weight I'd wanted, so thanks for that.

I LOVE your avatar--did you do it yourself?

Also, girdles. My life changed the day I got my Rago Shaper--I love those things to bits! Pulls in everything you want pulled in, pushes up everything you want pushed up (wink) and looks so fabulously vintage to boot. I also started wearing stockings since the garters were on the shaper already. So much better than pantyhose.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks ladies for the kind words. Yeah taking in everything was felt great, but that wool felt coat I made, I dont think I can take that in easily and its a few inches too large now! :( *sigh* I may have to just sell it.

The thing is, now that I went down a size, my sewing skills are much better! :D Also most of the dresses just require a belt, and Ill look fine.

SO the lesson here is sewing is rad, but not the only way to go :)

LD

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Sorry for the multiple posts today, particularly if this is old news, but I was on Daddy O's site today and noticed that several of the Stop Staring dresses are in stock up to 3X (46/38/48). I ordered a Two Tone Hollywood dress--we'll see how true to size it turns out to be.

texasgirl

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
The bane of my existence is trying to find boots. I've bought and returned 3 pair already with no luck. If I like the style the calf is too small. If the calf fits I hate the style. Darn my 19" calves! I have high hopes for the David Tate boots I just ordered from Silhouettes.

I have always had that problem too. I found some wider calf tall boots that fit great and are comfortable from Naturalizer. I got them at DSW, and I don't think they sell them on the Naturalizer website. But you can sometimes find them on eBay. Try searching the words "plus" or "wide" and "calf"- I found a couple when I did that :)

epr25

Practically Family
Hi everyone. I just posted one of the larger sized dresses that I have in the classifieds. I hope I did that correctly I haven't sold there before. Thanks there are more to come I just have to find them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy