Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

zaika

One Too Many
wow...thank you ladies for the links and advice.

i'm getting my grandmother's sewing machine and...well, basically her entire sewing room (she was a seamstress for 30 years)...so i'll have to try my hand and sewing some stuff! :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This thread is the one I think you are looking for.

Im, as of now Im 47/38/49 I cant go by sizes, Id be everything from a 16 to 22 :eusa_doh:

I have ALWAYS been into vintage, and when I started wearing the pieces full time, I did find an obstacle. There were none that survived in my size. I didnt fret, I just decided to make my own.

Luckily there are tons of patterns that are in big gal sizes. They did survive. I also have a thread around here...
showing my wardrobe (most of what I made).

Size is not the obstacle finding a good fit, and a nice style is. So youre big, who cares. You can still look super cute! ;) This place is for all sizes and any questions you have we are here to help.

Good luck and welcome!

LD

zaika

One Too Many
Lady Day - Thank you for the links. Your wardrobe is TO DIE FOR. LOL. Seriously, I love your clothes.
I am definitely determined to learn how to sew!

Vivine-I'm stumped as to why your plus sized dresses don't sell...I just bought a vintage dress through Dandelion...but, there wasn't much of a selection of the 1940/early 50's in my size. Dunno...where can I see your stuff? I'll take a gander! ;)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Lately, I've been finding a lot of vintage-inspired clothing in the thrift stores. Alas, I usually find clothes that are teeny-tiny or several sizes larger than me. My thrift store finds have been few and far between. :( I saw a really cute polka-dot blouse at Wal-Mart (of all places), but sadly, it was only in plus-size. You plus-size girls have all the cute clothes!

Besides sewing your own clothes, I think there are still a lot of choices of vintage-inspired clothes for plus-size gals, sometimes it takes a little bit of looking around.

zaika

One Too Many
Bonnie Jean-the plus sized clothes i find are always the tiniest bit too small. frustrating! i've resigned myself to the fact that i will always be on the lookout and i just won't have a lot. i guess that's more authentic? LOL.

Viviene-i tried clicking your avatar and i get a message saying that i can't have access. strange!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
zaika,
Don't give up hope, I'm sure you'll find something. Sometimes its a lot better to have a few good pieces that you can mix around rather than a bunch of clothing.

Here's the link to Viviene's website (I frequently poke my nose in there to see what's new) here.

And if you scroll down this page, you'll start to see some of her plus-sized clothes and more here.
Be sure to go to the next pages...cute, cute, CUTE! (But a bit too big for me--but maybe perfect for you!)

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Urgent

I just got the ok from my boss to go to my ten year high school reunion (schedule oked).

So, now I have a huge dilema! I need a 40s style dress to wear and I am having a HUGE problem.

Is anybody willing/available for commission to sew one of those swing era patterns from Sense and Sensibility??

I would need to have it for Sept. 15th and I am in Ohio. I am willing to pay you!

OR PLEASE recommend some retailers. I am looking at Stop Staring, but those sizes go to an 18...I need a 20. I don't know if I could manage those, but I would definitely buy one if I thought it would work...anyone with experience on the fit?

Thanks!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
NoirDame,
I don't know what you'd be willing to pay, but this gal's website say they will do custom plus sizes (I think their regular stuff goes up to size 16)
http://www.lipstickvogue.com/index.html

and here's another, http://www.revampvintage.com/, but I'm not sure what sizes they go up to, although they do custom orders.

Oh, here's another place I just discovered. http://www.bluevelvetvintage.com/

I've never purchased anything from the places above, but they're neat to look around and get inspired!

Just found this neat place and a good assortment of sizes and styles. http://www.unique-vintage.com/
I'm bookmarking websites like crazy!

zaika

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Welcome, Annie! Did someone mention the incredible thread on the Lane Bryant catalog scans that the lovely Rosie did? http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12090&highlight=bryant Actually if you just type in bryant in the search box you will see a bunch of interesting, informative threads. Happy reading.
Ashley

oh. my. god. that's FANTASTIC. thank you SO much. if i ever get good enough to make my own clothes...i'm going borrow heavily from those images!!

epr25

Practically Family
There is a thrift shop in my town that has an unbelievable amount of larger sized clothing. She more then likely would have any era any size. I truley am not kidding about this. Her ebay name is retrose1. If you e-mail her I am positive she can help. Very reasonable on things too. She always gives me good deals becasue she likes to see good peices go to a good vintage home. I highly recomend it!

Viviene

Vendor
I just saw the Lane Bryant catalog posts. I know you ladies really like mostly 40s things but I did come across two really nice 60s Lane Bryant dresses that are shown on my website preview page. I update the preview page every two weeks with what's new in my store and a tribute to the 60s is on there ala Hairspray (if you have your speakers on there is music).

leaette

A-List Customer
i think the reason why your friends aren't selling more plus sized clothing is that when i'm looking at dresses, there is always one measurement that is WAY off. i can never find a dress in my dimensions or just a bit larger and i can have it taken in. it's always like a perfect fit up top but the waist is too small.
at least that's my experience.
and now that i just had a baby....nothing fits. my body went thru the ringer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points