Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

pretty faythe

One Too Many
exactly!! I was large breasted before....but after my last one, and pardon if too much info, breastfeeding, they are even larger now, 8 years later. GRR. Blessing and a curse.

leaette said:
i think the reason why your friends aren't selling more plus sized clothing is that when i'm looking at dresses, there is always one measurement that is WAY off. i can never find a dress in my dimensions or just a bit larger and i can have it taken in. it's always like a perfect fit up top but the waist is too small.
at least that's my experience.
and now that i just had a baby....nothing fits. my body went thru the ringer!

Viviene

Vendor
It's amazing what a good foundation garment does for the fit of these dresses. The true vintage dresses are made to be worn with those items so it's sometimes hard to find one that's perfect everywhere. How the dress is cut plays into it as well.

However, if that's not part of what you want to do reproductions are the better choice in this instance.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I am having this made!

3706m23.jpg

I am doing the green one in that color without the ruffle trim.

I am getting it from TopRunway as suggested by Honeydoll. I will post pics and let you know how it turns out.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
NoirDame said:
3706m23.jpg

I am doing the green one in that color without the ruffle trim.

I am getting it from TopRunway as suggested by Honeydoll. I will post pics and let you know how it turns out.

Awesome! She's got loads of vintage suits and dresses at the moment, hopefully she'll keep doing more and more.

Viviene

Vendor
Just wanted to post an update for my friend, Juanita. She said to please let you know if you emailed her yesterday and she does not respond that there was a problem with her emails at her website yesterday. If you emailed and have not had a response please email her again as she has the problem fixed now. Thanks a bunch ladies!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Awesome! She's got loads of vintage suits and dresses at the moment, hopefully she'll keep doing more and more.

Is TopRunway on eBay? I did a seller search for TopRunway on eBay and couldn't find anything. I have a wedding coming up and would like to have a dress made.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
BeBopBaby said:
Is TopRunway on eBay? I did a seller search for TopRunway on eBay and couldn't find anything. I have a wedding coming up and would like to have a dress made.

I googled it and found her page where there is really only an email address for inquiries. Her name is Cynthia and she does sell on ebay. Her name is oriental_treasure.

zaika

One Too Many
Hope you don't mind me venting my woes here...I'm just kind of frustrated because I'm so used to instant gratification as far as finding clothes go. I am a modern size 22-26 depending on the brand (48-44-49 as of a month ago). Why are all the 'plus size' vintage and repro clothing so much smaller? Can a woman have a 35" waist and still be plus sized? I don't get it. I'm at least content with understanding that the larger sized vintage clothing are being worn...but with repro clothing do they not think the clothes would look good on a larger gal and therefore don't bother making them?
I like the way I look even though I'm currently trying to reduce for my health's sake. I don't like this feeling of panic that I get trying to find attractive clothes. I will be making an attempt to sew my own clothes...but I'm beginning to feel like I'm the only really big girl out there and am getting more insecure about dressing vintage. :(
Sorry to vent and rant...just feeling sorry for myself and knew that I'd at least have an ear or two here.

texasgirl

One Too Many
You could try just getting the basics from everyday retailers and then using accessories to give it that vintage feel- along with hair and make-up. For instance a cute a-line black skirt with a cardigan- then add a brooch or a scarf.

I know it's frustrating, but finding nice vintage is hard I think for anyone bigger than an 8-10 IMO- and there are a lot of us- so you are not alone! I'd just go with classic, never-going-out-of-style type outfits- then vintagify it!!!

Also, here's a website I came across that goes up to size 30 and it's got a few things I thought looked vintagey
http://www.bandlu.com/index.asp

zaika

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
You could try just getting the basics from everyday retailers and then using accessories to give it that vintage feel- along with hair and make-up. For instance a cute a-line black skirt with a cardigan- then add a brooch or a scarf.

I know it's frustrating, but finding nice vintage is hard I think for anyone bigger than an 8-10 IMO- and there are a lot of us- so you are not alone! I'd just go with classic, never-going-out-of-style type outfits- then vintagify it!!!

Also, here's a website I came across that goes up to size 30 and it's got a few things I thought looked vintagey
http://www.bandlu.com/index.asp

Thanks TexasGirl!
I think that is sound advice. I have a few modern things that look vintage-y, but that look good on my body. I'll go with that for awhile until I can (hopefully) reduce to a more common size. LOL.
I love b&lu! :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab

zaika

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Have you tried http://www.torrid.com/torrid/index.jsp ? I'm on a budget, so I tend to look through eBay for Torrid stuff, but they always have some nice things. A nice vintage-y outfit would be this nice pencil skirt (http://www.torrid.com/torrid/store/...T<>prd_id=845524442162377&bmUID=1187997501307) with a nice twin set from Jessica London (http://www.jessicalondon.com/clothi...7&DeptId=10282&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0 )

ohhh...i really like that outfit. very 50's. any ideas/suggestions for 40-ify it? lol.

that skirt is delicious...

BillieMae

New in Town
I usually have a problem finding vintage clothes as well (size 14 with DDs...), but I found a great solution to my problem. When I go to salvation army/goodwill/saver's I go straight to the section with women's pajamas and I always find 40s looking housedresses. They look great paired with a nylon slip (they are usually sheer cotton), a cinch belt on the ribs (Lane bryant has a great selection, a does Torrid) and heels (or even sneakers for when I'm going to the park). You can add a slip with a little volume to it to create a more formal look. They usually have sizes 14-20 readily available!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
Yep, and the store is
[Moderator edit-Links to live ebay auctions are not allowed.]

Not trying to make an argument here, but I knew the rules when I posted this link - specifically this one - "Items that are not one-of-a-kind that are offered by eBay members as a Buy It Now product on an ongoing basis. You will find links here to sales of inexpensive razor blades, for example. They are always offered, always at a standard price, and the ingredient of competition among bidders is removed."

Her dresses are always at a standard price, always BIN and they are usually the same items, with few exceptions. So I saw no problem with posting the link.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Fleur, I understand what you're saying but our rules state that links to active ebay auctions are not permitted. The link you posted contained multiple ebay auctions. To my knowledge, the FL does not make exceptions based on buy-it-now prices, so in the scope of that, your link was deleted by a moderator. Plus, who's to say the seller won't have all of her items as buy-it-now items 2 months from now.

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
Curvy Girls and Vintage Clothes

I'm a curvy girl myself ( UK 16) and wondered if it was just me who has difficulty buying vintage clothes. The sizes are smaller (as women were), and when an item does appear that would fit, it sells for crazy money.

Anyone else had similar experiences, or tips?, I'd love to hear :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925