Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

Viviene

Vendor
Thanks very much ladies. I've been sitting on a pile of contemporary clothing in larger sizes because it does not look as nice as it is on my mannequin. The hangers and hanging forms haven't been cutting it either so I may try my hand at modeling myself. I've tried clipping it back and it really loses the shaping for people to see how it really looks. I appreciate your input. :)

Medusa

New in Town
Vintage for Big Bodacious Babes!

Ok, so Im sure that there has to be other plus-sized cuties on this board!

Let's talk!

Dressing vintage when you are a larger size has its own special challenges. The larger vintage sizes are few and far between and vintage necklaces and bracelets often do not fit my ample curves.

How to deal?

I have been relegated to making a lot of my clothing and shopping at Torrid and Lane Bryant. Let's talk!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There are a number of plus size gals on the FL, and a few threads talking about it. Id recommend searching for them. They are pretty good.

As far as dealing with dressing vintage and being plus size, I make much of my wardrobe from vintage patterns. Jewelry seems to be alright with me, tho I do wear mostly brooches.

I tend to avoid the big gal shops because their fabric content s horrid to me.

this is a great site for plus size fashion, and they have a vintage section ;)

LD

epr25

Practically Family
Boy I wish you guys were around here! I always am flooded with size 20 and up. I try to seel it on ebay but no one seems interested. I find that larger sized dresses more then my size. I wear about a 16 vintage.

Kim_B

Practically Family
epr25 said:
Boy I wish you guys were around here! I always am flooded with size 20 and up. I try to seel it on ebay but no one seems interested. I find that larger sized dresses more then my size. I wear about a 16 vintage.

I'm off to add you to my Favorite Sellers list...just in case you come across anything my size :)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
epr25 said:

Oh, I totally would buy a size 20! That is what I wear, I would be a happy, happy girl if a bunch of them turned up!

epr25

Practically Family
That's cool. I have several dresses now that I was going to put in a yard sale but I will have to look into putting them in the classifides.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Oh, my, YES! Oh yay! Dresses in my size!

How would it work if multiple people were interested? The first person to respond?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I'm heading to check out the classifieds right now! Thanks for the heads up.

And it's true--it is tough to find vintage clothes that fit at times, but yes, eBay has been very helpful, but so many were hand made to the very specific measurements of the wearer that there are always one offs.

epr25

Practically Family
I haven't posted anything yet. I have to find the dresses and retake some photos. I hae them burried somewhere in the garage sale pile. I think I might have some others that I have stuck away for ebay in the future but I would rather see you guys get these since you would actually appreciate them more. I think I have a couple suits too. Maybe late 50's early 60's?

I am not sure how that classifieds work. I guess it would be first come first serve?

epr25

Practically Family
I also have these woudl anyone like me to stick these in the classifieds? They are a size 10 and thought that they were nice but no one else did apparently.

abc4_1.jpg

aadc_1.jpg

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
There is a good abay-seller in Germany for the curvier of us and he ships international. Search for "schwarzetruhe". It sells the smaller sizes quiet expensive, but the bigger they get the cheaper they become. I usually browse through all items cause they even have 70s stuff that looks good (and I usually hate 70s fashion). Don´t forget to get yourself a online-calculator so you can switch the cm to inches. If you need help with the translations drop me a message and I help you out!

Some things to start with Brustumfang is Bust, Taillenumfang is Waist and Hüftumfang is the Hip.

I´m sure you´ll make a lot of great bargains!

Rosie

One Too Many
Eek! When I saw this post and that LD was the last poster, I thought you were chastising me for not posting any more LB pics. :eek: I PROMISE, I will do it by the end of this weekend. I'm taking a few days off so, I'll have time to do a few things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen